Question about Merino Wool

BuckSnort

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
1,034
Location
Central CA
I'd like to try some out but was was wondering about when it gets wet does is grow/stretch out as you wear it or does it hold size/shape?
 

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
3,562
Location
Liberty Lake, WA
No worries it will hold it's shape. I've been wearing Smart Wool for years and the KUIU for a year, you will enjoy it!
 
OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
1,034
Location
Central CA
Thanks... I planned on either Kuiu or First Lite... Looks like the Kuiu may be a looser fit than first lite? Hard to tell with just the pics on both sites... Kinda thinking I want a more snug fit with my base layer as that's what I'm used to...
 

thru-hunter

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
313
My tight fitting base layers relax a bit but don't get "loose" my loose layers do get a bit looser but not bad. Loose fit boxers stretch a bit and I am planning to try a boxer-brief style next to combat that and hopefully one with a non merino "standard" style elastic waist band as well. I am curious what others think on this and I have admittedly not tried the Darn Tough socks that so many love but so far about 85% merino wool content with a good elastic type poly material in key places making up the other 15% seems to be the key to keeping socks fitting good for me. I started wearing Merino in Iraq a couple years ago after seeing what happens when UA burns!! I love the stuff and have worn it from 130 down to -40.
 

rye_a

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
276
Location
Colorado
I have picked up some Kuiu merino for hunting, but I have also found some great deals on Smartwool and Icebreaker merino stuff at Sierra trading post. I'll be using a new merino t-shirt on a backpacking trip this weekend.
 

bobhunts

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2012
Messages
964
Location
Colorado Springs,Co.
Ordered two more First Light tops from the local Bow shop. No shipping and similar pricing. Went with ASAT to blend in with the KUIU stuff I have. The First light stuff seems to be really good stuff.
 

bobhunts

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2012
Messages
964
Location
Colorado Springs,Co.
Has anyone tried out the Red Ram Merino Wool Sportsmans warehouse sells? They are only in black. Good thing is it might be the ticket for Pronghorn or Deer out of a ground blind.
 

Lawnboi

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
3,893
Location
North Central Wi
Has anyone tried out the Red Ram Merino Wool Sportsmans warehouse sells? They are only in black. Good thing is it might be the ticket for Pronghorn or Deer out of a ground blind.

Very good stuff, sister company to icebreaker. I have a bunch of thier boxers
 

Kevin Root

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
369
Location
San Jose, California, United States
I've not had an issue with stretching when wet. It gets a bit more baggy/heavy when drenched, similar to other fabrics. After drying out it seems fine and goes back to normal on the fitted or loose fitting Icebreaker garments I have.

+1 for me in warm weather as well. Thin ,merino wool for me in hot weather and long sleeves that I can roll up if I want to or keep down for bugs, and sun. If I do get into real hot weather, 90-100+ degrees and sweat they dry out pretty fast. The no stink factor for multiple day trips along with all the other plus factors of merino wool are awesome.
 
Top