Question about my Tikka .243, get a larger caliber instead?

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I am a new hunter form PA. I wanted to get some input on what caliber rifle should I consider instead of my .243 for eastern deer and western elk and pronghorn.

I decided to learn to hunt this year. I traded my AR for a Tikka .243 WIN and matched it with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 x 40. It shoots 1-inch groups regularly. I hunted about 5 days this fall to no avail. I bought it because it was a good deal (it wasn't) and deer season was approaching. I read that the .243 is adequate for deer, but I have been reading I need a larger caliber as I would like to use this for deer this fall and next year a western game trip for either deer, pronghorn, or elk ( I know enough that I'll probably never draw a sheep tag, I am 44). Calibers I have researched are the 30-06, the 7mm, and a .270. I am leaning towards the .270.

Thank you for your advice,

Caddis

Apollo117

WKR
There's a lot to like about 105 and 108 grain .243 caliber bullets. There are also good solid copper bullets available. If you keep your shot distances realistic, then I don't see any reason you couldn't use the .243 you already have to shoot all the game you listed.

I wouldn't shoot an elk past about 200-250 yards with a .243 though.

If you decide you absolutely want a different caliber, the .270 is a great choice. A 6.5 CM would be too.

A .270 is never the wrong answer.

That said, your 243 with premium bullets is plenty enough gun for what you intend to do.

Shot placement is everything. You are far better off with an accurate rifle that you shoot with absolute confidence. Continue your trigger time through the spring and summer shooting woodchucks and you’ll be ready for whatever comes your way in the fall.

Good luck!

Reactions: Guy

Block

WKR
My GF and her dad have both taken some pretty big black bear with .243 ,,, shot placement will help more than a bigger caliber,,. I have a few friends that often admit they shoot a bigger caliber becuz they aren’t a good shot haha..

I shoot a Tikka .270 and love it for deer... I have rolled a bear 50 yards down a slope only to watch him get up and disappear... I didn’t hit vitals... make a good shot and you’ll be fine.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. I just don't know a lot in this area, so I appreciate the advice. If the current trend of advice continues, it seems the .243 could be used in the above situations. I will admit it shoots well and I like it a lot. So, if I do keep it, then I probably should buy a better optic.

1. I am thinking of something like a 4-16 x 50, is that too much?
2. Also, regarding ammo, this I currently have the following ammo: Sierra King Gamechanger 90g, Federal Ammunition 100 g, and Remington core-lokt 100 g. What ammo in 105 or 108 grain and the copper ammo, would you recommend?
3. I have a Harris bipod, but I also need a better sling, mine is just webbing, so I want to find a better sling for sure.

I'm a big Tikka fan and also the .243 - in fact I probably hunt more with my .243's than any other rifle I own. But one thing about the Tikka .243's that is a problem is they are twisted 1-10" so not sure how well they will stabilize some of the heavier 6MM bullets?? I do know the Fusion 95 grain factory ammo kills stuff and tends to shoot really well in most any rifle.

As far as other calibers, maybe consider a 7MM-08 - that should work for most stuff you will likely hunt.

Your 243 will work for deer and antelope depending on how close you can get. The 243 does run out steam fairly quickly just like a 308 Win. I personally would not recommend a 243 for elk.

I would recommend stepping up to a larger caliber. I'd look at the 270 Win, 7mm-08, and the 30-06. You can use them hunting in your neck of the woods as well as out west. I'd only recommend that you consider a 7mm Rem Mag if you will be going out west on a regular basis.

Regarding optics:
4-16 is a bit more magnification than you may want.
3-9 is the most popular because it’s the most practical.
IF you change your optics, which isn’t really necessary, I would suggest looking for a deal on a used Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40.

Re ammo:
Sierra GK and Rem CL give excellent performance on deer and I’ve seen several black bear taken with 100 grain corelokt’s too.
If your rifle likes Nosler Partitions, they’re a near perfect bullet for anything you want to poke with a .243 with the exception of furbearers if you want to skin them.

hodgeman

WKR
I'd go shoot some locally available deer and black bear with the .243...then figure out if you want something different when you head out west.

Your 243 has a pretty good advantage- varmints. Spend your off season hunting groundhogs and such and you'll get way more practice field shooting than most folks. In the effectiveness equation, you are the most important part.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
1. I am thinking of something like a 4-16 x 50, is that too much?
2. Also, regarding ammo, this I currently have the following ammo: Sierra King Gamechanger 90g, Federal Ammunition 100 g, and Remington core-lokt 100 g. What ammo in 105 or 108 grain and the copper ammo, would you recommend?
3. I have a Harris bipod, but I also need a better sling, mine is just webbing, so I want to find a better sling for sure.

Buy guns for what you’re legitimately using them for, not “maybe”. “Maybe” and “plan to” leads to poor choices for what you actually do. The 243 with good bullets is a monster, and in a good platform like a T3 is an excellent killing rifle.

1). Any 4-16x will be a comprise on several points. How far are you wanting to shoot, and how far will you regularly practice?

2). As has been stated, your barrel’s twist will not stabilize any of the high BC 100gr+ bullets. The 100gr Federal Blue box and Remington Core-Lokt will kill animals fine, but in killing and seeing a couple hundred deer killed with 243’s and various projectiles, those bullets can be relatively slow killers. The 90gr Gamechanger is a good one, however the all around best killer is probably still the Nosler 95gr Ballistic Tip (NBT). The guy who designed that bullet did so specifically for the 243 and killed the snot out of big mike deer and bull elk with it.
The solid copper bullets such as the TSX will penetrate deeply, but do produce narrow wound channels and animals move farther on average given lung shots than with bullets that cause more damage.

Maximizing the 243’s and your rifles capability- the 90gr Game-changer, Hornady 90gr ELD-X, and especially the 95gr Nosler Ballictic Tip are all around the best options. Have seen the results of well over one hundred deer killed with the 95gr NBT from sub 20 yards to 527 yards. They are excellent killers.

3). Talking about backpack hunting, no one I know uses a sling anymore. The rifle is either in hand, or strapped to the pack. As for a bipod, most situations would lend itself to using a pack for a rest rather than a bipod.

Last edited:
OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your reply. So, maybe I have the rifle and scope I need! It seems like the two variables I can improve on with this rig are myself and my ammo.
1. For deer- I will try the above suggestions.
2. For varmints, this summer is there particular ammo you recommend?

Thank you all, your expertise is much appreciated.

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
I would rethink your scope choice before rifle choice. I love a good .243

Lawnboi

WKR
Small sample size, but had to use my wife’s 243 t3x for everything last year. Used hornady precision hunter ammo. 7 deer, bullet preformed really well. Keep it out of the shoulder.

That gun is in for a new barrel. I think I got like a box and a half of the precision hunter left along with a few boxes of other 243 stuff, if interested send me a pm Iv been looking to get rid of the stuff.

Small sample size, but had to use my wife’s 243 t3x for everything last year. Used hornady precision hunter ammo. 7 deer, bullet preformed really well. Keep it out of the shoulder.

That gun is in for a new barrel. I think I got like a box and a half of the precision hunter left along with a few boxes of other 243 stuff, if interested send me a pm Iv been looking to get rid of the stuff.

If OP isn’t interested we can probably work something out.

Tmac

WKR
If elk are or will soon be on the menu, getting a larger more powerful cartridge than your 243 is a good idea. If it’s all deer and antelope for a time, the 243 is a good one. Your initial leanings to a 270 would be a good choice. It will work noticeably better than a 243 on elk. You can easily shoot up to 150 grain bullets in factory ammo, and semi-custom loaders have offerings at 160 grains and up. 30-06 is a classic for elk, as is the 7RM.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks. I don't have enough posts to PM you. Also, what do you mean "keep it out of the shoulder?"

hodgeman

WKR
2. For varmints, this summer is there particular ammo you recommend?

While you can get "varmint specific" ammunition in the .243 (mostly 55gr bullets)....just use whatever the rifle likes that'd you'll use for deer. A 95grNBT or ELDX will kill a groundhog just fine and you'll spend less time switching your setup around.

The value is practicing with your setup, not finding a new setup.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. I don't have enough posts to PM you. Also, what do you mean "keep it out of the shoulder?"

Dont shoot a deer in the shoulder with it, they are not designed for extreme penetration but do a lot of damage for a little bullet. I was impressed enough with the eldx 90g 243bullet that I’d use it again if I had to. 6 of the 7 deer we shot with it were down in less than 10 yards.