Question about Nebraska Deer Tags

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Well I didnt have any western hunts planned this year, but got a text from a buddy 2 or 3 days ago and he wanted me to try to figure out a hunt for us, of course at this point all the draws have passed and most all of the excess tags in the better states have been bought up. So we are going to Nebraska, sandhill unit.

My question is, i noticed it says no hunter may have more than TWO deer tags and that includes non residents. Does this mean we could get two buck tags in Nebraska during the rifle season?

KHNC

WKR
Yes, That is correct. You CAN buy two buck tags in Nebraska. But, not two mule deer bucks.

**searched the regs and can not find a mention of not being able to kill two muley bucks. However, i still think one has to be a whitetail. Could be wrong tho.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
may be best to call and confirm with this one lol
The any deer tags sold out the first day. Just confirmed you can kill two muley bucks as a NR. Whitetail only and Statewide any buck tags are still available. The statewide tags are about 2x the price as region specific. If you are going to Pine ridge, this is the only way to get a muley tag for rifle now.

KHNC

WKR
Sorry, just read again you are going to sandhill. If you are after muleys, its worth it to get your tag quickly if they are still available.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
NE resident here. "Individuals may only have two permits that allows the harvest of a buck per year." is how it reads in the regs. No need to rush on buying your permits, The only one that sells out fast is the Pine Ridge (Which is arguably the best Mulie unit in NE) and the one with the most public land.

Nebraska is very often a last minute or last resort destination for people coming west to hunt. The sandhills unit is a beautiful area, but very low on public land, a little over 5%. With these two factors in mind expect high numbers of people who threw a hunt together last minute. Expect to see people wandering aimlessly through the 2 large areas of public.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from coming out and hunting western Nebraska... I mean you can buy 2 tags that allow you to shoot a buck anywhere in the state so nothing can stop you! But it is no secret that these tags area available and people are not afraid to pack in to the public.

Last edited:
OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
met up yesterday and I told the guys they "could" get two tags if they want, but I wasnt, and they elected not to either, so moot point at this time, but i will leave the thread up for people to discuss in the event others want to do differently.

I would rather get the small game license and try for some upland game if i tag out early lol

KHNC

WKR
Damn sure no shortage of coyotes out there either! Good luck! Ill be out archery hunting the week before rifle in the Pine Ridge.

idguide

FNG
Well I didnt have any western hunts planned this year, but got a text from a buddy 2 or 3 days ago and he wanted me to try to figure out a hunt for us, of course at this point all the draws have passed and most all of the excess tags in the better states have been bought up. So we are going to Nebraska, sandhill unit.

My question is, i noticed it says no hunter may have more than TWO deer tags and that includes non residents. Does this mean we could get two buck tags in Nebraska during the rifle season?
Correct.