Question about older Swaros

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an eastern hunter and I’ve never owned any high end glass, but I’ve never really felt I needed it. I mostly use a pair of Bushnell Elite 7x30s that are a couple of years old to watch birds and squirrels as entertainment while in the deer stand. Occasionally I’ll use them to size up a buck. But I’ve gotten into backpack hunting and fully expect to start heading out west in the next couple of years, which means I’ll need some suitable binos.

I just came across a set of Swarovski Habicht SLC MK II in 8x30 from 1994 on a nearby Craigslist for $375, and I’m just wondering if those are worth purchasing? It seems to me like technology is changing fast enough that those won’t be able to stand up to newer glass in a similar price range, and, while I know some guys out west use 8x, I don’t think they’re ideal for that kind of hunting. Seems like I should pick up a pair of 10x or something even larger to go on a tripod. Am I on track in my thinking, or should I go snatch up those Swaros? Thanks for your insight!

I'm another eastern guy that converted to Western hunting about 20 years ago. The first few times I hunted I was chasing elk in timber with a bow so there wasn't much need for binos at all. As I've hunted a wider variety of states and types of terrain I've seen the need for good optics.

I had a handful of small Bushnells and such that I'd tried but never really liked. So I bought a Zeiss 10x40 that was probably 20 years old off of eBay. They opened a whole new world for me. When I decided to upgrade I sold those old Zeiss binos for $10 more than I had paid a year earlier. Then I bought new Zeiss Conquest 10x42s, which is one of the best binos available for less than $1,000.

My suggestion is to either 1) jump off and buy something new for at least $500 or, 2) buy the best used that you can with the intent of reselling in a year or two.

But, above all, stay with the 10x42 size for your first binos. There are many reasons why they are the best selling size. Also, plan on picking up chest harness so that you'll use the binos more (at home, and out West). You won't need the tripod until after the first year, unless you're going for mule deer or Coues deer.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt in Colorado with a pair of 20 yr old 8x30 SLC's and do just fine. In the timber going after elk 8's are nice, on a tripod looking for mulies they work but 10's are better.

i've had my swaro 10x42 for years, great glasses.never regret the purchase
give the guy 300(check ebay prices),send them to swaro for a tuneup if need be,enjoy them for a while whitetailing,then sell em in a couple of years.

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Well, thanks for the responses, guys. I reached out to the guy and they had gotten snatched up quick! Guess I should have jumped on them.

You might be surprised how well your 7x Elites stack up against those Swaros. I'd probably pick the Elites over them, actually, having seen both, but they are both good glass.

Wrench

WKR
I have some slc's and have had leica, zeiss, edg's, meopta and most other top glass. I have to say that the tract toric uhd for the money is utterly amazing. I parked all of my euro stuff and offed the edg to carry the tract on my hunt. If you are not a swarovision fan, I don't think anything can hang for twice the money right now.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I have some slc's and have had leica, zeiss, edg's, meopta and most other top glass. I have to say that the tract toric uhd for the money is utterly amazing. I parked all of my euro stuff and offed the edg to carry the tract on my hunt. If you are not a swarovision fan, I don't think anything can hang for twice the money right now.
Did it work out for you?

pirogue

WKR
If you're thinking of buying with hunting in the West in mind, I wouldn’t get older, non Swarovision 8X, especially SLC, if you already have 7x. I had the older 10x42 EL, then upgraded to the Swarovision 10X42, when they came out. I live in, and predominantly hunt in the West, but also hunt every year in the South, where maximum view from some of my deer stands is 50 yards. My 10’s are fine there also.