Question about Peep Rotation

Johnboy

WKR
Looking at the string loop with respect to the peep orientation, I'm guessing the reason why the peep aligns at full draw is that the loop is gripping the string tightly enough to turn it when you apply draw tension. I have a new string/cable set ready to install on my bow. I plan to put 200ish arrows through it before I install the peep. By then, the loop has sought its permanent position, and I can install the peep such that it aligns at full draw. I also picked up a Peep Aligner per @Zac's recommendation. Looking forward to trying it out.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought the peep was rotating into position as you drew the bow?

If the peep is just out of alignment that's a simple matter of twisting the string. If the peep is rotating while drawing the bow that's something else, I'd want it fixed.
Kind of

It rotates (mostly) into place when I draw back because of me pulling d-loop back

Sitting outside archery shop now waiting on them to open.

Kind of

It rotates (mostly) into place when I draw back because of me pulling d-loop back

Sitting outside archery shop now waiting on them to open.

Ok. I never have my d-loop that tight.

Sounds like you just need a twist to the string.

Sometimes you will run into a string that rotates when you draw. That's a problem with the string.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved

Sometimes you will run into a string that rotates when you draw. That's a problem with the string.
Yeah he just took a twist out of the string and then had me draw back, then slightly adjusted the D-Loop

Sled

WKR
I've used different peep tying to clean up slight turns. If I can't accomplish perfect alignment by twisting the string and don't want to swap individual threads from side to side, I'll use my peep tie in to pull it into perfect alignment. When the peep is already straight I bake sure my top and bottom tie go in opposite directions to keep it neutral. Truthfully I don't do much peep tying these days. I'll usually clove around the peep, back it up with an overhand on the opposite side and half hitch the legs.

Take it back in. Most shops when they sell you a new bow or install a new string (I don’t care what you say, all string companies strings stretch/twist a little) will have you shoot 100+ shots the. Come back in to adjust the peep twist and paper tune the bow.

406unltd

WKR

My 31 started doing that today. I have to have it kicked right as you look at it from shooting position to sit straight at full draw. Do you think this string is probably on its way out?

My 31 started doing that today. I have to have it kicked right as you look at it from shooting position to sit straight at full draw. Do you think this string is probably on its way out?

Likely, you could probably make it work, but I hate messing with them. Life is too short to deal with string issues. A well built set of 452x lasts me a long time. No unwanted rotation, get things where they should be, and they stay there. If I start having problems, then the layup wasn't done correctly.

I know guys who periodically just rotate the string to keep things aligned, boo on that. I want things set and forget for 15k shots.

406unltd

WKR
Likely, you could probably make it work, but I hate messing with them. Life is too short to deal with string issues. A well built set of 452x lasts me a long time. No unwanted rotation, get things where they should be, and they stay there. If I start having problems, then the layup wasn't done correctly.

I know guys who periodically just rotate the string to keep things aligned, boo on that. I want things set and forget for 15k shots.
It’s a gas string on my v3 31. Doesn’t have a ton of shots on it obviously. I’ll just keep an eye on it for the season I guess. Thanks for your time.

It’s a gas string on my v3 31. Doesn’t have a ton of shots on it obviously. I’ll just keep an eye on it for the season I guess. Thanks for your time.

Which Gas? Their standard 452x, think they call it something special tho? Or the Ghost blend? I know of several of the ghost that didn't last long. Think it was a bad run of a component in it. But their normal 452x strings are some of the longest running strings I know of, tho it's more materials than anything.

406unltd

WKR
Which Gas? Their standard 452x, think they call it something special tho? Or the Ghost blend? I know of several of the ghost that didn't last long. Think it was a bad run of a component in it. But their normal 452x strings are some of the longest running strings I know of, tho it's more materials than anything.
Same awesome high octane model that I put on my 33. It’s supposed to be 452x per their site.

Same awesome high octane model that I put on my 33. It’s supposed to be 452x per their site.

Normally those settle right in. Surprised you are having any issue. Bow get hot? Heat is hell on fibers.

I think they will warranty if you are getting rotation, don't know how long it goes however I thought it was 12 months or something.

406unltd

WKR
Normally those settle right in. Surprised you are having any issue. Bow get hot? Heat is hell on fibers.

I think they will warranty if you are getting rotation, don't know how long it goes however I thought it was 12 months or something.
Ya it never gets hot unless I’m out hunting with them. They sit in my closet on some hooks I bent and welded up at work when not in use. I retied the peep to how I’m doing them now and it seemed to help a little. I’ll message Eric and see what he thinks.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, once strings and cables settle in after a new install, most of the time you have to put a twist one way or the other in the string to get your peep to line up again. I also made some little "peep aligners" using "D" loop material which look like mini dumbells. Install one of these in the string above the loop and it will allow you to fix those pesky 1/8 to 1/4" rotations just by sliding it up or down the string to change it's rotation slightly. Similar to the Bomar peep aligner but homemade and a lot cheaper.

Dunndm

WKR
Take it back to whoever installed it. They’ll mark it with a sharpie. Take it out. Put it back on in roughly the same spot and it’ll be a little adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunndm

WKR
Take it back to whoever installed it. They’ll mark it with a sharpie. Take it out. Put it back on in roughly the same spot and it’ll be a little adjusting.

Forgot to add. Once they take it out, shoot it 1/2 times at close range to let it settle back in. Once settled, they’ll put it back it close to the sharpie mark and see how much it needs to go up or down.