Question about Peep Rotation

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
So after getting new strings and cables installed, and shooting some arrows, the peep has rotated basically 90 degrees. It does mostly straighten out when I draw back. Should I take this back to be re-done now that the string has set in, or should I not worry about it? Wondering if the twist might affect arrow flight upon release.
20210422_112402.jpg

CB4

WKR
I'm not an expert but I had this same issue with my elite answer. 3 different sets of strings/cables and could never get the peep to line up right. Got a Mathews this year and after replacing the factory strings I took 5 shots then added a full twist and peep is perfect.

Look at the picture adding a twist or 1.5 to the top cam might straighten it out. However is your d loop facing the same direction as your peep and is that aligning it? Or does the d loop have little effect and no matter what direction it is at you peep rotates around on its own?

wapitibob

WKR
Peep should be straight back at brace and not move when drawn back; that's the whole point of "custom strings". There are very few string makers that can actually build a quality string.
Biggest problem for a hunting situation is that string will rotate from temperature changes.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't think the twist would noticeably affect flight, but I would be more worried that when you come to full draw the peep won't be aligned.

I'd take it back or get a portable bow press and DIY. I'd recommend the press if you want to tune it yourself. Both of my Elites (E32 and E35) are fairly sensitive to cam timing in regards to broadhead accuracy.

If it keeps rotating I'd get new strings/cables.

Rob5589

WKR
Press it, twist a cable, should be good. I also started using the peep tie method that Bowmar does. His way does not cinch down the string like the standard way everyone uses which can cause rotation.

I'd try first retying your peep around the peep housing only, the method that peep is tied in can cause rotation.

When you say mostly straighten out, is that without you doing anything at all? I assume it is. If you are playing with it every few shots to keep it coming around then I would take half twist out of the string on top cam.

OR Archer

WKR
The way it’s tied is not going to cause that much rotation. That much rotation is caused by the string stretching and settling in. Take it to your dealer and have them press the bow and add a twist to your string at the bottom cam.

One of my bows has the same issue, no matter what I do. I have twisted/untwisted cables always keeping it to tune specs and still rotates. I use a torqueless D loop and tie it in, that way it rotates the peep sight for me

OR Archer

WKR
One of my bows has the same issue, no matter what I do. I have twisted/untwisted cables always keeping it to tune specs and still rotates. I use a torqueless D loop and tie it in, that way it rotates the peep sight for me
Why would you twist your cables? That has zero bearing on peep rotation. You have to twist the string itself.

I twist my cables to ensure my wheels are timed correctly. True that does have no bearing on the peep site just over sharing

SDHNTR

WKR
Any new string will require anywhere from a couple dozen to a couple hundred shots to break in and settle. I do not even bother to sight in, and certainly will not bother to tune after a new string and cable set until well after this settling (break in) period. What you are experiencing is normal. Your shop set up the peep square when it left, and then after shooting it a bit, it stretched and twisted. Take it back to the shop and have them tune it back to spec. They should have told you this at the shop. Any decent shop will tell you to go shoot a couple hundred shots after a new string, and then bring it back for final tuning. Then, if it’s a quality built string, it should stay put.

Or do it yourself. But bear in mind, you may have to twist both string and cables to put back to specs. It’s more involved than just twisting the peep back to square. Your ATA length, brace and cam timing is probably off a bit too.

MattB

WKR
Quality strings and cables don't need a couple hundred shots before they creep and settle.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
These are 60X fwiw. As it says on their site, it didn't take but a few shots for it to turn. I plan to take it in this weekend to get adjusted.....hopefully it will stay put from here on out. Thanks for all the quick feedback...shop is an hour away, so wanted to consult the brain trust before making the drive.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Tying my peep in the way hamskea suggests has helped me with peep rotation. But Im also not really a fan of 60x, they rotated the most of anything I’ve had.

Last edited:
I'm confused, I thought the peep was rotating into position as you drew the bow?

If the peep is just out of alignment that's a simple matter of twisting the string. If the peep is rotating while drawing the bow that's something else, I'd want it fixed.

Get rid of the peep and shoot with just a kisser button....

I haven't shot a peep sight in 30 years of shooting a bow and I do just fine....

IMHO a peep sight is just one more thing to deal with that can fail you. I have my exact measurement to my kisser button written down on my riser and can install a new one while I am in the field if I have to. (I never have had to...)