Question about Primers....

Wags

WKR
I relatively new to loading (I know I couldn't have picked a worse time) and I've been gathering components along the way. Like most, getting primers has been a chore. I do have 1K of CCI BR-2 Large Rifle for my 30-06 & the same in CCI 450 Mag Small Rifle for my son's 6.5. I know that the Mag primers are not normally used in 6.5, but it's what I have.

My question is, would you foresee any possible issues with these primers? I always start well below the MAX load data and I dont stray from that.

Any advice or feedback is recommended.

I think you’d be okay with it. I’d start mid loads and check for pressure signs. I bet you won’t be able to tell the difference between magnum and regular.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I relatively new to loading (I know I couldn't have picked a worse time) and I've been gathering components along the way. Like most, getting primers has been a chore. I do have 1K of CCI BR-2 Large Rifle for my 30-06 & the same in CCI 450 Mag Small Rifle for my son's 6.5. I know that the Mag primers are not normally used in 6.5, but it's what I have.

My question is, would you foresee any possible issues with these primers? I always start well below the MAX load data and I dont stray from that.

Any advice or feedback is recommended.

As you may already know, the main difference between a standard primer and a magnum primer is that the magnum primer will burn more intensively (higher brisiance) to better ignite a larger amount of powder in a bigger case and thereby produce a more consistent burn / ignition of the bigger powder charge.

There is not really a "standard" for primer brisiance, so even among different manufacturers, primer intensity can vary. Some makes of "standard" primers are getting close to the intensity of other makes of "magnum" primers. So while changing a primer can effect the velocity, ES / SD and even accuracy of a load, you can safely use any RIFLE primer that will fit the flash hole. BUT you must work up from a minimum load if you change a primer (or any other component), especially when you are starting out. Just dont use a pistol primer in a rifle as pistol primers wont handle the pressures generated buy a rifle.

Thats a very distilled answer. Feel free to ask more if that doesn't make sense.

Vern400

WKR
Not a problem if you work up loads. The primer/ powder combination that YOU have might not be the absolutely best possible combination. But it should work fine and produce good power and accuracy. I've played with different primers and found they usually don't change velocity much, but they CAN change velocity extreme spread. That's accuracy if you shoot far. At 100 yards you might not even see it. As components come available pick up a box of your first, second, third pick. Then you can mix and match to find the magic for your rifles. Some components have a long history of success and it's hard to go wrong with them.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I've run CCI 450s in my 6.5 CM under H4350 and RL16 to great success. Send'em, dude.