Question about reloading?

mickeyelk

FNG
Getting into reloading and 5-7 years ago I purchased 5 pounds Reloader 19 and CCI 200 primers for my 270. Since then, I bought Nosler ballistic tips 130 grain to shoot out of it. Also Bought 5 pounds of Reloader 22 and CCI 250 large magnum primers and Accurbond 180 grain bullets for my 300 Win Mag. All of these will be loaded using Federal premium once shot casings.. Now for my questions. Is anyone using these combinations, and if so, what grain powder amount do you use. I know my gun will shoot differently but looking for a starting point. These combinations will be what I have and will use. Reloading supplies are getting scarce. My end goal for the 270 is to shoot accurate out to 500 yards. The 300 wm out to 700 yards accurately. Both for use in hunting. With bullets getting so scarce and expensive I figured I'd start to use what I already have.

I’ve got fed cases, cci 250s and 180 accubonds loaded for my 300wm, but who knows if they’re safe in your rifle. I know they’re hot in mine. Work up.

packer58

WKR
What MT257 suggested or better yet purchase the manuals so youv'e got them for reference on your bench.
Please don't take me wrong but your asking total strangers for load data without any printed data to verify the load.

Freeride

FNG
My advice is to leave the RL19 sealed for now. Take a look at the nosler reloading info online, both the loads min and max are 4.0 grains apart for each. It won't take long to work up a load if there is one.

RL 22 is listed for both, if you can use only 1 powder for both guns it makes it so much easier to buy in bulk. Leaving the RL 19 sealed keeps its value better than if you even take a single load of 54 grains out of a 5 lb jug.

Either powder is going to work great. Hadn't thought of just trying one and leaving the other sealed.

I have used both in my 270 Win and 300 Win Mag. RL22 is a hard to beat in the 300 Win Mag with 180 and 200 gr bullets. I run RL19 behind the 110 TTSX in the 270 for a do-it-all hunting load, and it gets great velocity and drives tacks. Had to work up that load as it's not a listed powder in Barnes data for that bullet. If you think you might go with even heavier bullets down the line, RL22 edges out RL19 in both cartridges.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
A loading manual is a valuable resource - not only the load data it contains but all the instruction and theory of reloading.

Everyone should have a couple.

rayporter

WKR
get one of these load books. it has ever load ever published from every company that makes bullets or powder.
41hO6QqvBoS._SX415_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jtenkink

FNG
The CCI 250s should work fine for you. In terms of recipes I find that it helps to look at a variety of load data and then start with what makes sense. A lot of times the bullet manufacturers will have slightly different data from the powder manufacture. A lot of that is available online now, nobler and Barnes have good free load data, Hogedon has online data as well as Alliant who make the Reloader powders.

also remember, if you change anything you’ve changed everything. Any time you change something in the load (powder, primer, brass, anything) make sure you back off and load up again to make sure you’re still safe.

mmac

WKR
Nosler puts it's load data on it's website so I would start there. RL 22 I have found works great in the 270 and the 300 win, but I try and go with the 200 gr ab. Either way, start there to be safe.

OP
mickeyelk

mickeyelk

FNG
Ok to both of you. I thought RL19 was suppose to be good to for the 270, that is why I purchased it previously. I also thought CCI200;s would also be great in the 270 casing. My goal was suppose to reload CCI200 and RL200 for 270 and CCI250 and RL22 for 300 win mag. Must have had bad info from a previous freind.

MThuntr

WKR
get one of these load books. it has ever load ever published from every company that makes bullets or powder.
41hO6QqvBoS._SX415_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My experience is this a lot of the data in these booklets is compiled from free sources with some of the new powders missing or not the most current load data. The LoadBooks website states that they haven't been updated since 2017