Question about rifle balistics

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Or, I could be out in left field and everyone’s children/wives/girlfriends are completely addicted to hunting and shooting, and act like leeches every time you go to the range.

Good call on the .243. I would look at shooting 80-85gr mono bullets and will get two holes on everything they shoot. (80 gr will have less recoil than a 100+gr bullet) I like to put a Barnes tsx through the shoulders of deer and antelope.

Last edited:
OP
B
Good call on the .243. I would look at shooting 80-85gr mono bullets and will get two holes on everything they shoot. (80 gr will has less recoil than a 100+gr bullet) I like to put a Barnes tsx through the shoulders of deer and antelope.
Any recommendations on factory ammo that would fit the bill?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
If you don't need it as a elk gun in the future...I would go with a .224 valkyrie in the Savage Prairie Hunter. you have 90grain Fuisons and Barnes TSX 78gr. recoils like a .223 Rem. The Prairie hunter is full adjustable with the accufit stock. Then you would also have a fun inexpensive practice or varmint rifle also.

As mentioned ammo to try- Barnes vortex 80 ttsx, Federal trophy Copper 85, and Hornady superformance 80 GMX. I would try them in the rifle and see which one it likes best.

I reload, so have more options but I’m pretty sure one of those will work for you. Let us know how it goes.

OXN939

WKR
Any recommendations on factory ammo that would fit the bill?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I shoot Hornady Outfitter GMX 80 gr. in my Howa 1500 Alpine. Consistent, accurate and not crazy expensive. While 80 grains sounds kind of diminutive, copper monos like that retain almost all of their weight, so it's really more analogous to a 100-or-so cup and core round. I have yet to kill anything with it, but there are troves of reviews saying projectiles like that work great on deer sized game.