Question about Shed hunting

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
What do shed hunters do with their sheds? I have heard that the majority are not shed hunting in order to sell them because after you factor in the time, gas, etc, you aren't even making a profit. But if people are not selling them, what are they doing with them? They would have to have multiple storage units just to hold the amount of sheds they have wouldn't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot get sold by guys not making a profit but just to help defer the costs of gathering them somewhat.

Slingshot

FNG
Collect dust in the basement, to admire every time I'm downstairs in the basement. We Sold/traded all our deer sheds last year to the taxidermist for him to shoulder mount a bull elk that we shot. Just couldn't part with selling any of the elk or moose sheds they carry a lot of sentimental value for some reason haha.

I started shed hunting pretty hardcore about 10 years ago. I wouldn't part with a single one, started filling up a spare bedroom. Nowadays i have a top 10 of each species. Everything that doesn't make the cut gets crafted into something or sold. Maddmartagan, being the greatest swordsman that's ever lived.. perhaps a nice set of sword handles made from elk antler would be top of your list!

For me it's a excuse to get out side. I just throw them in a tote. Their fun to twirl around in my hand to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Mine go in a stack in the spare bedroom and the nicer ones get displayed. People do make some money with them...an friend of mine built his $20,000 shop with shed sales.

bobhunts

WKR
A lot of people sell them! In fact there is a FB page I joined that is more active than any I belong to including Jeep stuff! Me ...I just never find them.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I funded my quad with them years back. In a good year and right locations you can make some good coin. In years like this around here you are out for the pure enjoyment of hiking and being outdoors. Through the years I have made lamps, tables, taken a bull I found a shed from, enhanced my trophy room🤛 And made some great memories with friends and my dogs. I will say my basement is getting a little crowded but that is ok👍 I also sell the junky ones and make a great xmas tree with them.