Question about straps on frames

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I am a newbie to the pack hunting game and I am going to be purchasing my first pack this year. I am curious as to people's opinions on the latching points on frames. For example does the fact that the Kifaru duplex lite has five latching points vs the three straps on a stone glacier Evo/xcurve make it a more attractive option for hauling meat and awkward loads? Do the extra strap options help in securing loads or do they end up being unnecessary? I see the the duplex ultrlite also has three latching points so maybe I am overthinking this. As I said this will be my first purchase and am trying to cover all my bases. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can comment that it does make it nice being able to add more compression straps on the Kifaru frame if needed. If your attaching other pockets/accessories like the grab-it or sherman pocket especially. I don't think securing an average load it would be a big deal. When you get the awkward loads is where it makes a difference IMO. If you want the most options then I believe Kifaru is the best option. If you want more simplistic and lighter options then SG is a great direction to go. I like the way the Kifaru belt fits me and the ability to move straps around and add pockets/accessories so that's why I go Kifaru. But between the two, you can't go wrong so you might be overthinking!

OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your reply. Have you used the cargo net or quarter panel at all. My thoughts to keep cost down this year were to get the duplex lite frame and one of those two this year and use them with a bag at my house as a daypack set up that could also haul meat. Then next year I would get an actual bag to finish out my setup. When I go hunting this year I will not be camping So I will only need enough space for items like water, food, first aid kit and a couple more essential items. I'm thinking this would be a great daypack set up but maybe I'm missing something.

Jbehredt

WKR
Your plan would absolutely work. I’ve got the Exo version of the quarter panel on my kifaru tactical frame. It stays on there, between my bag and frame until it’s time for a big load. I like the extra lash points. I keep a kit with straps and buckles in my pack. Few things more unsettling than a load of elk quarters shifting while you’re trying to get over or under a branch on a steep incline.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your reply. Have you used the cargo net or quarter panel at all. My thoughts to keep cost down this year were to get the duplex lite frame and one of those two this year and use them with a bag at my house as a daypack set up that could also haul meat. Then next year I would get an actual bag to finish out my setup. When I go hunting this year I will not be camping So I will only need enough space for items like water, food, first aid kit and a couple more essential items. I'm thinking this would be a great daypack set up but maybe I'm missing something.

That sounds like a solid setup to me. I haven't used either, the cargo net or the panel. One option to maybe look at if you can swing it, is the Stryker bag. If you're doing a lot of day type hunts but want that panel available quickly. Then add the camp bag later for the Stryker to give you the room to pack in your camp in for a multi day trip. I know the quarter panel will work great, but by the time you start adding pockets/lids to get more room your about at the cost of the Stryker. Playing devils advocate there, but the quarter panel will dang certainly work fine.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Theres often lots of good deals on used bags in the rokslide classified section or on kifaru insiders on facebook, you could pick something up for this season and try it and sell it next year for nearly the same price. I had a tahr I picked up for $100 and sold for the same.

I made myself a DIY version of a quarter panel for doing weighted training hikes and it works well for that, but in my opinion it could be awkward as a day pack because when you unclip the compression straps the bag in the middle is free to roll out as its not then connected to the frame. Another similar type setup ive used is a guide or ogl lid and a grab-it with a 55L dry bag, Ive used this as a hiking pack when I know its gonna be wet all day and it works well.15418D5A-ECA0-4009-B016-288B7E44B507.jpeg

OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
That's ok devil's advocate is what got me here. Began my research looking at Badlands and kept moving up looking at the brands and layouts and decided I'm going to buy once and cry once. Seems like most people on here say to go the high end route right away instead of buying three different cheaper packs and realizing you could have saved money if you bought the Kifaru or Stone glacier right away

10ringer

WKR
I run the quarter panel year round to haul training weight, so it gets more use than any of my other bags. With a guide lid (the big one, not the organizer style) and a dry bag in your quarter panel you can do just about anything! That setup will be light and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's ok devil's advocate is what got me here. Began my research looking at Badlands and kept moving up looking at the brands and layouts and decided I'm going to buy once and cry once. Seems like most people on here say to go the high end route right away instead of buying three different cheaper packs and realizing you could have saved money if you bought the Kifaru or Stone glacier right away
You are more wise than most, including myself. Buying a good setup right off the bad will save you some hardships on the mountain, and a lot of money in the long run. I started off cheaper and worked up... when you buy a cheaper pack you WILL upgrade, and your cheaper pack will have no resale value... a high end pack will have way better resale and will last

optics are the same way... better off saving up

Agree with this^^^^^^^^^

I also learned the hard way purchasing cheap packs with no real weight hauling capabilities. The price I spent on 3 packs would have nearly, if not, paid for 1 good pack and frame. Not to mention saved me some "embracing the suckage" on a few packouts.