Question about strategy - CO 2nd rifle Elk/Mule Deer

Ktex88

FNG
A buddy and I have tags for elk and mule deer for CO 2nd rifle season unit 74. Over the past year I've e-scouted the whole unit and came up with half a dozen spots that look good and will keep us busy. Having never seen this country, my main concern is how thick it looks and how that will affect our strategy of glassing for animals. If anyone has hunted this unit before and feels comfortable talking about which strategy has worked for the landscape (glassing vs still hunting), I'd love a little guidance. PMs welcome!

Thomas11

WKR
Never hunted it. But keep in mind second rifle is late this yr like third season dates. So they will be prolly not so high as early season. The elk Maybe thinking or moving in the direction of lower elevations. If it were me I’d be somewhere on a migration corridor between summer and winter grounds closer to the summer areas. And I would be somewhere I could see and glass. Still hunting would be my last option

74 is fairly thick, lots of underbrush in the form of scrub oak and junipers. I don’t know of many places to do any real glassing.

I don’t use a spotter down here in SW Colorado.

Poser

WKR
I live in 74. The migratory elevation, basically anything below 9,000 feet, is all scrub oak and a lot of it is thick and tall. A handful of places you can effectively use a spotting scope, but not many.

I don’t hunt in 74 to start with. I personally feel its the more crowded of the units down here. There is more atv/utv access in that unit than most.

Where I do hunt I cover ground and look for sign. Depending on the time of year I might call.