Question about THOR bullets

I haven't had the best luck with Hornady FBP's in my CVA Optima V2, so I figured I'd try the THOR bullets. I ordered the sample pack, and the .500" slid down the barrel pretty easy. It didn't fall down, but probably less than 5# of pressure was all I needed to push it through. So I figured the .501" would be the ticket. When I tried to push the .501" through, it was real tough. I mean like 30-40# of pressure. Just for grins I tried the .503 and .504 and they didn't seem any tougher than the .502.

Knowing that, would you run with the .500's?

CoHiCntry

WKR
Good question. I had a similar experience when I tried the sample pack years ago. I still wasn’t sure which ones to use after trying the sample pack. I would probably buy both sizes and experiment with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't want to be using 30-40# of force to load each one. As long as it's secure at the bottom I'd use the .500's. I had some of those Federal Bor Locs that literally slid up and down the barrel after being seated. That's not good.

I tried the Thor samples in my T/C and the .500's went down with the right amount of force. The .501's I would have had to hammer them to get them moving.

FURMAN

WKR
I have used them in two different rifles. I would use the .501s. It might be worth asking the owner.

I had the same experience with the 501 going down pretty easily and the 502 very hard to load. I went with the easier 501 size and its worked well.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I have used them in two different rifles. I would use the .501s. It might be worth asking the owner.

I did. I called and spoke to the man himself. He said he would run with the .500's because after the first shot, those .501's would be darn near impossible to load. Just wanted a 2nd opinion.

Thanks.

ENCORE

WKR
The best way to get a proper fit with bore riding bullets, is to purchase a Swinglock adjustable sizing die. They are made for both .50cal and for .45cal.
You do not want a bullet so loose that it moves off the propellant. Bad thing.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
The best way to get a proper fit with bore riding bullets, is to purchase a Swinglock adjustable sizing die. They are made for both .50cal and for .45cal.
You do not want a bullet so loose that it moves off the propellant. Bad thing.
I don't think that .500 Thor would move off the propellant. It was a lot easier loading than I am used to. Like a slick Sabot going down a clean barrel. But there was enough tension to hold it on the charge I think.

Newtosavage, here in CO we are limited to non-sabot bullets and no scopes during the muzzy season. I'd like to try the Thors out of my CVA Optima V2. What bullet weight and powder charge are you shooting? I'm planning to switch over to Blackhorn 209 with the BH breech plug. Anyone shoot the Thors out of their TC ProHunter .50 ca?

Last edited:
I have used the 250 grain ,500 Thors the last two years here in Colorado with great success. They do not fit tight down my barrel either but shoot very well and kill hell out of whatever you hit with them. Like has been previously stated here in Colorado we cannot use sabots or scopes but these bullets with Blackhorn 209 and a peep sight are sure deadly. I have two one shot kills last year at 191 yds with a good rest and the year before from 145 yds sitting with my elbows on my knees. I will post the bullets which I recovered just under the off hide on both. The first one is 145 yds and the second is 191 yds both on big bulls.

Attachments

• Thor.jpg
    Thor.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Thors.jpg
    Thors.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 53

WKR
Those are very impressive. Did either hit any big bones or just nice rib punches? And wondering what twist rate they like?

Both were lung shots. Dunno the twist I have a TC Triumph Bone Collector. Also shot an antelope in Wyo a couple years ago at 150 or so with it. With 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 and a CCI 209 Shotgun Primer the 250 grain Thor drops about a foot at 200 yards from a bench which is my limit with a solid rest. Very flat and hits hard. I like it.

OP
Newtosavage
I have used the 250 grain ,500 Thors the last two years here in Colorado with great success. They do not fit tight down my barrel either but shoot very well and kill hell out of whatever you hit with them. Like has been previously stated here in Colorado we cannot use sabots or scopes but these bullets with Blackhorn 209 and a peep sight are sure deadly. I have two one shot kills last year at 191 yds with a good rest and the year before from 145 yds sitting with my elbows on my knees. I will post the bullets which I recovered just under the off hide on both. The first one is 145 yds and the second is 191 yds both on big bulls.
Thanks for the reply. Very impressive! I will try the .500's and see what results I get. I'm sure that 120 grain load of 209 kicks like a mule! Just shooting 100 grains out of my open-sight CVA reminds me of my old '06. I can only imagine what 120 must be like. But I'll probably try it by the summer, so I'm ready for September in Colorado.

ElkArcher - I've only used Hornady PFB's for my Colorado elk hunts so far, and I haven't shot an elk yet so I can't report back on that. But out of my Ruger 77/50 those PFB's were darn accurate. They just didn't shoot as well from my CVA, which is why I'm looking at the Thor's now.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks for the reply. Very impressive! I will try the .500's and see what results I get. I'm sure that 120 grain load of 209 kicks like a mule! Just shooting 100 grains out of my open-sight CVA reminds me of my old '06. I can only imagine what 120 must be like. But I'll probably try it by the summer, so I'm ready for September in Colorado.

ElkArcher - I've only used Hornady PFB's for my Colorado elk hunts so far, and I haven't shot an elk yet so I can't report back on that. But out of my Ruger 77/50 those PFB's were darn accurate. They just didn't shoot as well from my CVA, which is why I'm looking at the Thor's now.

Do keep in mind, too, that the resistance you experience while hand loading a projectile represents a significantly looser fit than what happens when the round is actually fired. The cupped base does expand, which is why I suspect you see all the reports above saying "it felt a little loose loading it but it shoots great."

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Got the sample pack a few weeks ago to try on my TC triumph. .500 fell down .501 around 5 lbs pressure .502 not much more around 10 lbs pressure , and 503 took 30-40 lbs to load. I settled with the .503. After I pressed the bullet through the bore I mic the rear of the bullet it was .5025. I will try these maybe today with BH 209.