Question about Tikka 300 WM/300 WSM

DavePwns

WKR
I am planning to buy my first Tikka superlite here soon but I wanted to know how this works. A 300 WM is available for me to buy and the 300 WSM is out of stock. In the long run I want to cut the barrel of a 300 wsm tikka, load for, and add a suppressor. My question is, if I buy the 300 WM now, how difficult is it to switch to a 300 WSM? What would need to change? And how much would it generally cost? Thanks for your help

As simple as spinning off the barrel and replacing it with a 300 wsm. You’ll need a barrel vise and an action wrench, plus headspace gauges. Off the top of my head, the tools were about $120 plus the gauge rental was $20ish. I see you’re in CA, if you’re in the north bay, I have the vise and wrench and would be happy to help. I swapped my 300 win to 270wsm last year. You could swap a factory barrel or an aftermarket prefit. I’d probably go the aftermarket route so your not stuck with a 1-11 twist.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
As simple as spinning off the barrel and replacing it with a 300 wsm. You’ll need a barrel vise and an action wrench, plus headspace gauges. Off the top of my head, the tools were about $120 plus the gauge rental was $20ish. I see you’re in CA, if you’re in the north bay, I have the vise and wrench and would be happy to help. I swapped my 300 win to 270wsm last year. You could swap a factory barrel or an aftermarket prefit. I’d probably go the aftermarket route so your not stuck with a 1-11 twist.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will definitely take you up on that when it's time to swap. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind and go 7 saum 😎

Ucsdryder

WKR
The bolt stop is different as well. You don’t really get much advantage in a tikka with the wsm because the action is the same size, no weight savings.

also, the factory barrel is not suppressor friendly. It’s so thin there isn’t a lot of room to thread and have enough shoulder for a suppressor.

I went through all this. Ended up doing a custom build off the tikka action with a new barrel, etc.

Kojote

FNG
The bolt stop is different as well. You don’t really get much advantage in a tikka with the wsm because the action is the same size, no weight savings.

also, the factory barrel is not suppressor friendly. It’s so thin there isn’t a lot of room to thread and have enough shoulder for a suppressor.

I went through all this. Ended up doing a custom build off the tikka action with a new barrel, etc.
I had my factory Tikka SL barrel threaded for a suppressor, but did settle for 1/2x28 though