Question about upgrading Swarovski binos

Hey guys. So I just bought a used set of Swarovski SLC 10x42 binos. The guy told me the MFG date was 2012. I checked the serial number and it was D70xxxx which apparently means they were made in 2000. They’re in good condition and no scratches or anything on the glass.

Should I contact Swarovski and get the glass and coatings upgraded or should I just sell them, take a loss and buy new ones? Any one know about how much it costs to retrofit them or if it’s even possible? I paid about $900 for them. Haven’t compared them to the new SLCs so I don’t know how much of a difference it Would be.

And yes I realize I’m an idiot for not doing more research.

Jimss

WKR
I've had good results buying almost new optics but obviously it helps checking out details and photos before buying. I imagine you checked into returning them to the person you bought them from? I can't answer your cost question for getting yours fixed. If you happen to sell yours and get new ones you may want to take a look at Leica. I recently bought a pair of Leica combo bino-rangefinder. I'm super impressed! From what I hear the Leica's are just as good or possibly better than the Swaros.

OP
B
I’m waiting to hear back from the guy. Hoping I can cus it was false info but I’ll see. They looked good from the pictures and based on the info he gave me they were what I wanted. Should’ve looked closer and asked for the serial number beforehand though.

Axlrod

WKR
Take them out and use them, see how you like them. I bet they are pretty good. Last I heard you can have Swaro put HD glass in them for under $400 though. If you Email Swaro they will give you a price. It just might not be a noticeable improvement.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
If you like them, keep them. The latest and greatest is always noticeable outside of published specs.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I bought some 10x42 el here several months ago. They were a great buy because they were scratched. I sent them back to swaro to get refurbed and asked about upgrading to SV glass and they told me they wouldn't put the newer glass into the old binos. Either way the refurb was excellent and the binos are great.

AGPank

WKR
I’m sorry this happened, but I think this occurs more than it should. More than likely the seller didn’t know either, but they should either accept them as a return, or if you are happy with the performance renegotiate the price.

I posted a link one time on a similar subject I found from BirdForum on the history of Swarovski.

There were major significant changes from 2000 versus 2012 SLC.

There is a Rokslide review from Matt Cashell that compares the SLC NEU to the current Meostar HD. I think this version stopped 2010 and were very highly regarded (non HD glass) and will hold their own with much near alpha glass today.
a6c245b507ac0ba4427435501ace0ace.jpg

From what I recall Swarovski can only upgrade older models to a certain level before major changes were made. I don’t remember them being able to add HD to the pre-HD era binos. I bought a pair of older black frame SLC 7x30 that were upgraded and given a new serial number by Swarovski. The glass quality was great (I sold them because I couldn’t adjutant the ring finger focus).

I think there are 2 common mistakes buying pre-2011 SLC HD thinking they are something they are not and overpaying. (FWIW I’ve seen the first version SLC HD sell in the $1100-1350 range here). This version is similar to the current 2014-now version, but had closer focus, EL style armor, and actually retailed around $2100.
bfb9b7c44af89a2bba449d9b7306dd70.jpg

I really like these and have owned a couple pair. Sold them to try other things and would buy another pair without hesitation.

The second mistake I see people make is buying EL non SV thinking that they are getting field flattening lenses.
f325a67e4b56d1e520f8464cdb5ec6d2.jpg

I think these are pre-2011 and I don’t think are HD glass. I’m not saying they are good and better than a lot of today’s near alpha glass, but they aren’t EL SV and the buyer needs to pay the right price for them.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rancher

FNG
The price that you paid was a good price.There will always be slight improvements from year to year,but that is what keeps people buying.Enjoy and use what you have.

OP
B
Thanks for the replies guys. The guy said I could refund them if I wanted to. I’ll play around with them and find a newer SLC to compare them to.

Hey guys. So I just bought a used set of Swarovski SLC 10x42 binos. The guy told me the MFG date was 2012. I checked the serial number and it was D70xxxx which apparently means they were made in 2000. They’re in good condition and no scratches or anything on the glass.

Should I contact Swarovski and get the glass and coatings upgraded or should I just sell them, take a loss and buy new ones? Any one know about how much it costs to retrofit them or if it’s even possible? I paid about $900 for them. Haven’t compared them to the new SLCs so I don’t know how much of a difference it Would be.

And yes I realize I’m an idiot for not doing more research.

That's called misrepresentation and if you paid using Paypal (not F&F) they will reimburse you when you send the glass back.

bozeman

WKR
That’s a pretty decent deal on those binos, but I believe you won’t be happy since they aren’t what you were wanting. Best of luck, but I’d take that refund offer.