question about vortex and leupold

cdowns

FNG
question...1 pair of vortex razor uhd 10x42 vs 2 pair of leupold bx-4 in 8x42(hunting chest rig) and 10x50(truck scouting rig) for eastern hardwoods hunting/scouting??

Nethero

WKR
question...1 pair of vortex razor uhd 10x42 vs 2 pair of leupold bx-4 in 8x42(hunting chest rig) and 10x50(truck scouting rig) for eastern hardwoods hunting/scouting??
This is going to simply come down to your preferences.

Vortex UHD weighs 32 ounces. The BX-4 weights 23 ounces.

I personally would prefer a lighter, lower magnification, open bridged bino for archery hunting to be able to glass free handed while holding a bow with the other.

Does this sound like a scenario you see yourself in? Also, will you always remember to have your bino harness at hand in the truck to be able to grab and glass?

For me, I keep my harness with my rangefinder and binos (Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44) with my hunting gear out of reach while driving. I keep a pair of BX-4 10x42’s in my glovebox for easy glassing from the vehicle.

Whatever you prefer.

Drenalin

WKR
I have the BX-4 10x42s and use them here in east for everything. I really like the ergonomics and the quality of the glass so far. I paid under $400 for them new, and that wasn't on a holiday sale or anything. Even if you get a big discount on Vortex, you could buy a couple pairs of BX-4s and still be several hundred dollars ahead of where you'd be buying one pair of UHDs. I have no idea how the UHDs compare to the BX-4s in quality, but I wouldn't drop UHD money for hunting in the east. If I were going to spend that much, there are a lot of other options I'd be looking at.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
This is going to simply come down to your preferences.

Vortex UHD weighs 32 ounces. The BX-4 weights 23 ounces.

I personally would prefer a lighter, lower magnification, open bridged bino for archery hunting to be able to glass free handed while holding a bow with the other.

Does this sound like a scenario you see yourself in? Also, will you always remember to have your bino harness at hand in the truck to be able to grab and glass?

For me, I keep my harness with my rangefinder and binos (Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44) with my hunting gear out of reach while driving. I keep a pair of BX-4 10x42’s in my glovebox for easy glassing from the vehicle.

Whatever you prefer.
Thanks for the advice. I noticed you said you keep the 10x in the glove box. What do you use for hunting? 8x I'd assume, but do you use the BX-4 in those also?

Nethero

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I noticed you said you keep the 10x in the glove box. What do you use for hunting? 8x I'd assume, but do you use the BX-4 in those also?
My hunting binoculars are the Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44 I mentioned. The 8X is much easier to hold steady, especially with one hand.

Nethero

WKR
How would you rate the bx-4 glass
Questions like this make me hesitant because everything is subjective and everyone literally sees things differently.

If I were to rate their optical qualities as a whole, they are maybe 90% that of a Swarovski SLC if we were to use that as a base reference. (For me personally I rate the SLC and EL Swarovision both equal, or both at 100%. The differences being the SLC has more neutral color tones and more vivid contrast. The EL Swarovision has cooler color tones and a flatter image with the last 5% of the image edge being sharper than the SLC. I mention both of these because they are highly regarded optics that might make good references. 95% of their images are equal in sharpness and detail to each other outside of edge sharpness and color tone. Beware, these might be fighting words for some.)

lease see my previous post #4 to your previous question regarding BX-4 vs BX-5 HERE. I might rate the BX-5 at 95% that of the SLC.

So when it comes down to it, the BX-4 is Japanese made glass that is roughly $400 USD if a deal is found. This is roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a Swarovski SLC or EL Swarovision. 90% the performance for 1/4th the price is pretty darn good to me!

For full transparency, I am a gear junky. I have, have owned, and used all of what I talk about and mention. Yes the BX-4 is remitted to car duty because I have some higher end optics to play with, but I would never hesitate to use it as my primary.

Lastly, I will say the Maven B2 series (B1 as well) and Vortex UHD series are very nice and admittedly “better” than the Leupold offerings, but they are bulky and heavy. And personally speaking, just never gave me the WOW factor other glass does.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
Questions like this make me hesitant because everything is subjective and everyone literally sees things differently.

If I were to rate their optical qualities as a whole, they are maybe 90% that of a Swarovski SLC if we were to use that as a base reference. (For me personally I rate the SLC and EL Swarovision both equal, or both at 100%. The differences being the SLC has more neutral color tones and more vivid contrast. The EL Swarovision has cooler color tones and a flatter image with the last 5% of the image edge being sharper than the SLC. I mention both of these because they are highly regarded optics that might make good references. 95% of their images are equal in sharpness and detail to each other outside of edge sharpness and color tone. Beware, these might be fighting words for some.)

lease see my previous post #4 to your previous question regarding BX-4 vs BX-5 HERE. I might rate the BX-5 at 95% that of the SLC.

So when it comes down to it, the BX-4 is Japanese made glass that is roughly $400 USD if a deal is found. This is roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a Swarovski SLC or EL Swarovision. 90% the performance for 1/4th the price is pretty darn good to me!

For full transparency, I am a gear junky. I have, have owned, and used all of what I talk about and mention. Yes the BX-4 is remitted to car duty because I have some higher end optics to play with, but I would never hesitate to use it as my primary.

Lastly, I will say the Maven B2 series (B1 as well) and Vortex UHD series are very nice and admittedly “better” than the Leupold offerings, but they are bulky and heavy. And personally speaking, just never gave me the WOW factor other glass does.
I really appreciate your insight. How would you compare the Leupold glass, both bx-4 and bx-5 to the razor uhd?

Nethero

WKR
Well...UHD had better micro contrast and resolution in dimmer lighting at greater distance.

Does this equate to more game being found? Eghhh probably not. But it might equate to you being able to count points on antlers at the end of shooting light for a few minutes longer than with the Leupold glass.

Maybe 97% of the SLC? We are in the realm of me attempting to split hairs and identify differences for you… Really the biggest stand out to me is size and weight.

The UHD is substantial. At least for my type of hiking and hunting. It might be best if you were to order a set through Amazon or the likes to feel and really evaluate them for yourself.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
Well...UHD had better micro contrast and resolution in dimmer lighting at greater distance.

Does this equate to more game being found? Eghhh probably not. But it might equate to you being able to count points on antlers at the end of shooting light for a few minutes longer than with the Leupold glass.

Maybe 97% of the SLC? We are in the realm of me attempting to split hairs and identify differences for you… Really the biggest stand out to me is size and weight.

The UHD is substantial. At least for my type of hiking and hunting. It might be best if you were to order a set through Amazon or the likes to feel and really evaluate them for yourself.
I actually have the uhd. It just seems like too much glass for me and honestly I didn’t go WOW, after selling my vipers to get the razors. They’re big and heavy. I’m just trying to decide if I’d be better off with maybe a little lower quality but have two pair for multi purpose.

Nethero

WKR
I actually have the uhd. It just seems like too much glass for me and honestly I didn’t go WOW, after selling my vipers to get the razors. They’re big and heavy. I’m just trying to decide if I’d be better off with maybe a little lower quality but have two pair for multi purpose.
I’m understanding you now. My personal opinion, because of my bias of weight and size for the UHD, and preference of having a separate easily accessible pair for the car, would incline me to suggest as much for you.

However, have you ever considered other binos? The sky is the limit... you could score a BX-4 for a deal and still have enough left to buy another set of good, if not alpha binos. If you are set at say $1,000, maybe consider Meopta MeoStars which can be found used for like $600 every once in a while, and are just a notch down from the SLC for half the price.

My personal choice would first say stretch your budget a bit more if you can and score something such an SLC and be done with it. And just use a budget set for the vehicle. Later on you can upgrade them, if you ever need to. Honestly, I would urge you to look for a set of what I have, Steiner Peregrine XP 8X44. Optically, they are every bit on par with the first generation Swarovski EL before the introduction of the Swarovision field flattener. Plus, they are a fully rubber body and genuinely never get cold while holding them, especially when it’s something like 0 degrees out and you are looking for every reason to leave the tree stand or hunting blind. Here. Beware, these are an older model they no longer make. Do not look to their newer “updated” Wildlife XP models. They look similar but have the worst internal reflections I have ever seen in optics. There is one last set of Peregrine XP I can find for sale in the US and it’s on eBay. With the “make an offer” function you might be able to score them for like $700-800.

I’m done with my pedestal now. I’m not going to try to convince you on which brand or model to buy. I feel like too often, too many people have too many opinions based off of conjecture. They handle the binoculars once, or maybe even just merely read reviews or specs online, and suddenly they are an expert and offer advice as such.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
OP
C

cdowns

FNG
I’m understanding you now. My personal opinion, because of my bias of weight and size for the UHD, and preference of having a separate easily accessible pair for the car, would incline me to suggest as much for you.

However, have you ever considered other binos? The sky is the limit... you could score a BX-4 for a deal and still have enough left to buy another set of good, if not alpha binos. If you are set at say $1,000, maybe consider Meopta MeoStars which can be found used for like $600 every once in a while, and are just a notch down from the SLC for half the price.

My personal choice would first say stretch your budget a bit more if you can and score something such an SLC and be done with it. And just use a budget set for the vehicle. Later on you can upgrade them, if you ever need to. Honestly, I would urge you to look for a set of what I have, Steiner Peregrine XP 8X44. Optically, they are every bit on par with the first generation Swarovski EL before the introduction of the Swarovision field flattener. Plus, they are a fully rubber body and genuinely never get cold while holding them, especially when it’s something like 0 degrees out and you are looking for every reason to leave the tree stand or hunting blind. Here. Beware, these are an older model they no longer make. Do not look to their newer “updated” Wildlife XP models. They look similar but have the worst internal reflections I have ever seen in optics. There is one last set of Peregrine XP I can find for sale in the US and it’s on eBay. With the “make an offer” function you might be able to score them for like $700-800.

I’m done with my pedestal now. I’m not going to try to convince you on which brand or model to buy. I feel like too often, too many people have too many opinions based off of conjecture. They handle the binoculars once, or maybe even just merely read reviews or specs online, and suddenly they are an expert and offer advice as such.

Clear as mud?
got it bud. thanks so much. i've decided to sell the uhd and look into getting a couple of pair of something else.

For Eastern hunting I would focus more on contrast and sharpness than magnification. 8x is more than enough and you would be using your binos for picking out deer in thicker darker woods Not from miles away.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
@Nethero clearly knows what what he is talking about so I would defer to him, but I also had the UHDs and returned them and got Maven B2 9x45s and B3 8x30s. I will most likely end up using the B3s most of the time and I bet they are fairly similar to the Leupold’s, but I’ve never done a direct contrast. The B3s only weigh 16.5oz though.

I was also able to score the Maven’s at a discount because I’m a veteran though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk