Question for AK Residents

Me and my family will be moving to AK this June and I had a question regarding the draw system, that I can’t seem to find an answer for.

So I know I won’t be able to hunt as a resident for the 22 season, as I’m required to have been living in AK for a year. My question is about the draw for the 23 season. Applications are due in Dec for the draw for the 23 season. Am I able to apply as a resident as I will have my year requirement before the seasons begin? Or do I have to apply as a non-res but then wait until June to purchase my tags as a res?

Any help with this is appreciated, and feel free to pm me if you’d prefer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my family will be moving to AK this June and I had a question regarding the draw system, that I can’t seem to find an answer for.

So I know I won’t be able to hunt as a resident for the 22 season, as I’m required to have been living in AK for a year. My question is about the draw for the 23 season. Applications are due in Dec for the draw for the 23 season. Am I able to apply as a resident as I will have my year requirement before the seasons begin? Or do I have to apply as a non-res but then wait until June to purchase my tags as a res?

Any help with this is appreciated, and feel free to pm me if you’d prefer.

Thanks

Welcome to AK!

You will be able to apply as a resident. There is a question on the application if your residency status will change before the actual hunt starts. That said the draw odds are still tough :(. The good news is you don't need the draw to hunt just about everything (except bison) for just the cost of a hunting license!

Where in AK are you moving?

OP
M
Welcome to AK!

You will be able to apply as a resident. There is a question on the application if your residency status will change before the actual hunt starts. That said the draw odds are still tough :(. The good news is you don't need the draw to hunt just about everything (except bison) for just the cost of a hunting license!

Where in AK are you moving?

Thanks for the info.
I figured I’d start planning my 23 hunting season now!!! I figure I’d put in for the draws and if I don’t get anything I still get to hunt pretty much everything which is amazing!We will be moving to Anchorage or just north of it.

Q child

WKR
And sheep. I apply for sheep every year. Never gotten a draw.
Over the counter deer tags though which keeps me pretty happy.

hodgeman

WKR
Don't discount your 22 season... it gets little press, but the small game and waterfowl hunting is amazing and relatively affordable for a non-resident.

A non-res big game license and tags are largely a waste of time and money if you're going in cold. Small game will get you out and figuring out the areas you want to pursue bigger critters in 23.

OP
M
And sheep. I apply for sheep every year. Never gotten a draw.
Over the counter deer tags though which keeps me pretty happy.

I’ve been looking at the deer tags for this year.

OP
M
Don't discount your 22 season... it gets little press, but the small game and waterfowl hunting is amazing and relatively affordable for a non-resident.

A non-res big game license and tags are largely a waste of time and money if you're going in cold. Small game will get you out and figuring out the areas you want to pursue bigger critters in 23.

Good idea I’ll have to take a look at the reg for small game and what it allows.

I like to setup cameras all winter here locally for mountain goats, for fun, so I’ll definitely be looking to do something like that as well.

Q child

WKR
I’ve been looking at the deer tags for this year.
Yeah. I live in Southeast. We get 6 deer per year per resident. I'm not sure what a non resident gets. Also, not sure what type of opportunities for deer there are up in the Anchorage area. All the guys I know up there are moose hunters.
Deer hunting in southeast is fun. I've never killed all six, so it'll keep me busy all season. You gotta go quite a bit to do it, or maybe just have a perfectly timed trip. I've seen some parties kill a ton of animals if they were in the right place at the right time.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How is the move going?

For deer you will need to look at Price William Sound, however without a boat access in PWS is difficult.

I would recommend getting a single black bear locking tag for 2022, you can take a deer on it if you see one, but is a lot more access to areas with bear around Anchorage.