Question For Coloradans-OT

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, my family and I will be headed to Steamboat Springs the week before Christmas. As far as getting there, we have two options. Fly into DEN and rent a car or fly into Hayden and pay for a shuttle. Normally I wouldn’t think twice about it. I’d just rent the car and drive. However, I don’t know how bad the road conditions could be. Does anyone know how bad that drive would be if there is a big snowstorm? Any other tips or advice?
Thanks!
Ryan

Stalker69

WKR
Normally the roads are well taken care of in storms, ( plowed and sanded). And if there’s an un usually big storm, an Uber won’t be of much help either. So unless you are afraid of driving in it, I say rent a car 4x4 or all wheel drive. Rather then depend on Uber or cab to get you around.

The bigger issue I run into is when they close the road, particularly I-70. Neither rental or Uber is getting through then though. I did have some friends that flew into Hayden last year, they were fans but mostly because the drive was shorter.

Sykes

WKR
I 70, Hwy 9 and 40 can all be pretty bad if a big storm rolls in but most of the time they do a good job of keeping them in good shape with the plows and sand. Another possible option is flying into Laramie Wy, they have rental cars available there. 2 hrs from there vs 3.5 from Denver. Flying into Hayden would be your only way to avoid driving over a couple passes

3forks

WKR
Don‘t worry about the weather.

My advice is to fly so that you can avoid sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and / or if traffic is actually moving, the shitty drivers that make driving on I-70 in general not worth the hassle or risk (Especially if you’re driving on a weekend).

cedahm

FNG
Don‘t worry about the weather.

My advice is to fly so that you can avoid sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and / or if traffic is actually moving, the shitty drivers that make driving on I-70 in general not worth the hassle or risk (Especially if you’re driving on a weekend).
This...

if costs are equal, it will save a lot of windshield time regardless of weather. Given your location (assume you’d originate out of Memphis), you’ll be connecting anyway, so no loss there. The bus system around town and the resort is excellent and a car isn’t really needed.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
The drive can be anything from dry the whole way to roads closed for a day. What day of the week and what time of day would you be driving? Driving out of Denver Friday afternoon or driving back to Denver Sunday afternoon can add many hours to the drive, even on dry roads.

My brother flies into Hayden when we meet out there. I don't know about the shuttle situation, we always go get him.

If you choose to go DIA and rent a car, and they close rabbit ears pass for weather, you are stuck on the road with Kremmling or Walden as your only amenities.

The drive from DIA to Steamboat is also a fair distance, probably three hours under fairly ideal conditions. Add in weekend I-70 traffic and/or bad weather and that could double.

In my opinion, you are much better off to land in Hayden and shuttle over. As previously mentioned, you don't need a vehicle when you get there. The buses and Uber/whatever will get you around without the hassle.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and suggestions. We ended up booking a flight into Hayden. Laramie was too much flying time and too much money. We do have to connect in Houston and from there straight into HDN. It cost a little more for the airfare but the rental car was going to be north of $600. The only downside is now I don't get to go to Kifaru! I really want to put my hands on one of their bags. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to go back!
Thanks again, y'all