Question for Elk calibers

Jester8

FNG
Really looking forward to an Idaho DIY this fall. My question is this: I have a custom built 25-06. I shoot 110gr Accubonds out of it, and have killed many deer, antelope no problem with it. I realize shot placement is key. I also realize and elk is MUCH larger than those animals. Would I be ok to use a my 25-06, or should I go bigger?

My 25-06 is the largest caliber weapon I own. I have access from a family member who has Tikka 300 WSM. Would I be better off using that instead?

Have any of you killed elk with a 25-06, or calibers in the 6mm range? Just wondering, I don't want to be wounding an animal.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
If you feel confident in it and don't try anything unrealistic from your 25-06, I would say use it. I've collected a lot of samples from hunters using .243's and .25-06's for both elk and moose.

GKPrice

Banned
you'll get the full range of answers on this one - I've been in on and killed a whole lot of elk and there are guys here who best my experience by a large margin, there'll be advice all over the map from us as well - IME here's the deal, you know and like your custom 25.06 and it shoots 110 Accubonds well - We don't know the particulars of your upcoming hunt (and you may not either until you get there) Telling a person to not shoot at an elk, especially a big bull, is a tall order to fulfill BUT I'd really try to hold my shots to the 300 +/- limitation and wait for a good broadside presentation and you'll do fine - Unless you're on a prairie somewhere 300 yards is not that difficult to gain on an elk AS LONG AS YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE WIND - Have fun and make memories ....... OR

If you've the hankering for a new rifle it's time for a NEW thread on that

I would say use what you know and have confidence in. An accubond is a tough bullet that penetrates well and will certainly work just fine on an elk. I would do as GK recommended and wait for a broadside or maybe a slightly quartering away shot and not push my shot angles. Pull up some youtube videos of Randy Newberg he is a big advocate for using a caliber you are comfortable with and is small enough you can shoot well. Don't stop shooting until the elk is down I don't care how good your first shot is. Bulls can take a perfect shot to the heart or lungs with a good performing bullet and still travel uphill a long long ways if they want to.

Really looking forward to an Idaho DIY this fall. My question is this: I have a custom built 25-06. I shoot 110gr Accubonds out of it, and have killed many deer, antelope no problem with it. I realize shot placement is key. I also realize and elk is MUCH larger than those animals. Would I be ok to use a my 25-06, or should I go bigger?

My 25-06 is the largest caliber weapon I own. I have access from a family member who has Tikka 300 WSM. Would I be better off using that instead?

Have any of you killed elk with a 25-06, or calibers in the 6mm range? Just wondering, I don't want to be wounding an animal.

25-06

100gr partition (Nosler produces it in OTC ammo)
100gr ttsx(barnes vortex ammo line)
Both these loads are pretty hot. 3300 range.
You can find 120gr partitions but the load is anemic compared to the 100gr'ers

In 243 with standard twist vortex makes an 80gr ttx and it's a nasty little pill under 200 yards.

Small hole fat animal, don't expect much blood trail.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for something bigger. You can pick up Ruger Americans pretty cheap and they are a great gun. I never want to be with a rifle that will only work if the hit is right and the shot it right. All it takes to mess things up is to have that bull take a step and the front leg come back and now you have to take on the shoulder blade. I would rather hunt with a round that consistently puts animals down. Thats why I chose a 300 wm as my only big game rifle. I would rather be on the overkill side than under-kill and risk losing an animal. Again, not saying it cant be done but honestly, in my opinion, you are on the lower range of rounds that I feel are preferred elk rounds. Under perfect conditions it will work. I really think you have a great excuse to go get another rifle!

204guy

WKR
I'd use the 25-06 without reservation, assuming it's not some 11lb monster that you'll get very tired of carrying very quickly. If you're using horses than that's not a big deal. As has been said the only real limitation to the lower end cartridge spectrum when hunting elk is that you just have to be more aware of the hard angles. The 110 accubond is a good well proven bullet, I think the 100ttsx would give a bit of a step up in penetration and bone breaking ability if you wanted to experiment.

Use it, unless it is an 11lbs monter.....then you can't in idaho...stupid law. Use the gun you are comfortable with every time. If you are comfortable with it you are going to have good shot placement .....which means dead critter.

Speaking from a very experienced elk hunter. I've taken 12 elk with a .243 growing up. I've taken elk with everything from a bow, .243, .270, .280, 7mm, 7LRM, .300 win, 300 RUM and 375 RUM. They all died. Some quicker than others but one thing remains. Besides my bow, I've taken more elk with a .243. The longest was a bull at 490 yards with one well placed double lung shot. He went about 20 steps. Bullet selection is imperative. If your comfortable/confident in your rifle then use it. DO NO USE SOMEONE ELSES GUN....unless you spend all summer shooting it and developing the same level of comfort/confidence in it.

It's more important to know your limitations. Your not going to take a shoulder shot on an elk with that gun period. Heart or double lung will kill any elk with that cartridge easily out to 400 yards. Choose a bullet that will retain its weight and not fragment. Accubonds are a great choice and will fit that bill perfectly. As others have said; keep shooting until the elk is down. No such thing as too dead. That being said my go-to Elk gun is my 7LRM. Plenty of punch with a 180 pill to make shoulder shots and dump them in their tracks out to 900 yards with no hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Use it, unless it is an 11lbs monter.....then you can't in idaho...stupid law. Use the gun you are comfortable with every time. If you are comfortable with it you are going to have good shot placement .....which means dead critter.

16# is the limit in Idaho,.. You can kill Elk with a 25-06, and smaller with the perfect conditions and placement of bullet, but my experience is that in elk hunting as in all hunting your not going to always have perfect conditions. I think a lot of guys, especially non residents with limited time and a lot of money invested, might have a hard time passing a hard angle shot on a bull. Lots of better elk calibers available. Shot placement with any caliber is key, but a heavier bullet tends to get the nod in elk hunting. My .02$
Mike

I don't get the argument that you shouldn't use a smaller caliber because the shot opportunity or conditions won't always be perfect. You need a lot of good things to happen to get a good shot on an elk with a bow. Do you tell people not to bow hunt because when hunting you won't always be able to get that perfect condition? When you are hunting you know your limitations based on your gear and you work with them. You get closer and you wait for the shot, with a bow or a rifle.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
I don't get the argument that you shouldn't use a smaller caliber because the shot opportunity or conditions won't always be perfect. You need a lot of good things to happen to get a good shot on an elk with a bow. Do you tell people not to bow hunt because when hunting you won't always be able to get that perfect condition? When you are hunting you know your limitations based on your gear and you work with them. You get closer and you wait for the shot, with a bow or a rifle.
We all have opinions, that is mine, I've killed a few bulls with a bow, leaned toward the heavier side in that department as well, personal preference, you can kill elk with a 45# bow and 300 grain arrows, but there are more suitable set ups,...not telling anyone how to hunt, merely a suggestion.
Mike

My husband killed a bull with a 25-06 at 115 yards shooting the Berger 115 gr VLD and he was very pleased with how the bullet performed. Personally I think on an elk 500 yards would be the absolute max but it all depends how comfortable you are in your shooting abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
stick with your 110 Accubond load, it's already developed, will kill an elk JUST as well as any other brand or weight, will hold together and give you consistent terminal results and you don't need to put wear & tear, burn powder or money in preparation, you'll do just fine ...... unless you just have the "bug" to have something new - EVERYBODY has free advice but you have experience with what you originally posted, use it

OP
J

Jester8

FNG
Thank you for the great comments and suggestions! It's great hear that people has used the 25-06 with good effect. I do really like the Accubond bullet. Thanks.