Question for elk hunters

cck311

FNG
For anyone here that has killed one or more elk with a traditional bow I would like to hear from you. Tell me about. Your setup: bow you used, draw weight, arrow weight, broadhead, draw length etc.

I would like to hear about the results: depth of penetration, shot placement and so forth. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have killed a handful with a compound but I'm trying to get my first with a recurve this year.

I've never hunted elk with a stick bow and therefore have no advice to give, but best of luck to you! Any elk with a recurve would be a trophy for sure.

dlee56

WKR
ILF Recurve setup killed my bull last year, got a full pass through even without getting to full draw (quick shot), bull was at 7yds.

19" satori, long uukha saiga limbs 50#, 28.5" draw, 600 grain arrow (Black Eagle Renegade 350s, IW 75gr hit insert, IW 25gr collar, 200gr 3 blade cutthroat, 4 3" trad vanes, nocturnal nocks).

Steadman

WKR
2 with 50#@30 1/2 Stalker recurve with a total arrow weight of 580-600 grains with a 200 grain cutthroat. One at 15 yards hit her high heart 14" penetration. Watched her tip over. One at 25-30 yards spike quartering away sank to the feather. 150 yard recovery. One bull at 20 yards into heart hit off side shoulder blade and flipped out. 55#@29 stalker recurve with same arrow set up. He went 50 yards. Another spike with a Wengered recurve 53#@30 1/2 same arrow and broad head. Quartering away sank to fletch, 150 yard recovery. Pm me if you'd like anymore info.

OP
C

cck311

FNG
2 with 50#@30 1/2 Stalker recurve with a total arrow weight of 580-600 grains with a 200 grain cutthroat. One at 15 yards hit her high heart 14" penetration. Watched her tip over. One at 25-30 yards spike quartering away sank to the feather. 150 yard recovery. One bull at 20 yards into heart hit off side shoulder blade and flipped out. 55#@29 stalker recurve with same arrow set up. He went 50 yards. Another spike with a Wengered recurve 53#@30 1/2 same arrow and broad head. Quartering away sank to fletch, 150 yard recovery. Pm me if you'd like anymore info.
Thanks steadman, that's some good info. I'll be using an old school Ben Pearson Hunter that draws 53 pounds at my 26.5 inch draw. 530 grain arrows with a magnus stinger 2 blade up front.

WyoArk

FNG
Well, I guess I’m hard headed/ignorant enough to try with my stick bow this year. It’s a Bob Lee hardcore 60#@ 27.5. Arrow setup will be a victory Vap with the 80 grain steel outsert and 175 grain grizzly stik samurai single bevel. I hope you have good luck! If I get a cow I will feel like I have won the Super Bowl!

OP
C

cck311

FNG
Well, I guess I’m hard headed/ignorant enough to try with my stick bow this year. It’s a Bob Lee hardcore 60#@ 27.5. Arrow setup will be a victory Vap with the 80 grain steel outsert and 175 grain grizzly stik samurai single bevel. I hope you have good luck! If I get a cow I will feel like I have won the Super Bowl!
Good luck to you as well!

ScottinPA

WKR
In 2014 I killed a bull in MT.
58" Silvertip, 77lb at my 27-3/4" draw, arrow weight = 765gr, broadhead 150 4 blade Stinger.

Shot was broadside at less than 15yds about 10" behind shoulder (he was walking by me and I didn't stop him). Complete pass thru, arrow is still somewhere in MT.

Good Luck!

Rheron

FNG
Very large UT cow taken last year. 28yards broadside , first arrow completely broke front shoulder and clipped heart, she actually ran about 10yards closer to me and offered a quartering away shot. Second arrow (I shoot til they are down if possible) entered mid rib and exited far side shoulder crease, complete pass through. Dead seconds later.
21” galaxy riser, push plunger, black max 40lb limbs, 31.5” draw, black eagle vintage 34” arrows 500spine, 50gr inserts, 125gr 3blade cutthroats, 3 5” trad feathers. For me and my experiences arrow tuning/flight trump draw weight. Also I got a coach locally to help my form as well as online training through solid archery mechanics. I’d argue the coaching both in person and online was the single most impactful thing to my trad journey. Not sure I would have had the confidence to make the shot without it.

Bobinbend

FNG
FWIW...55lb Norm Johnson, 64", with 560 total weight with 250 grains up front, VPA 3 solid blade BH. Carbon Express 291/4 OA length. String clicker. All pass throughs except when catching the off shoulder scapula.

bigjohn2

FNG
running bull at 7 steps. 125 gr slick trick, 60lb Snell recurve, 400 goldtip shaft fully wrapped. complete passthrough. my arrow was laying ontop of the thick grass. bull made it to edge of small park i was hunting in.

Geewhiz

WKR
For anyone here that has killed one or more elk with a traditional bow I would like to hear from you. Tell me about. Your setup: bow you used, draw weight, arrow weight, broadhead, draw length etc.

I would like to hear about the results: depth of penetration, shot placement and so forth. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have killed a handful with a compound but I'm trying to get my first with a recurve this year.
64 inch bear super kodiak 59 lbs @ my 30 inch drawlength. Black eagle vintage 340 spine with a 300 grain VPA 2 blade double bevel making an overall arrow weight 657 grains. Killed 1 bull @ 32 yards quartering away. DOuble lung. Burried to the fletch but no pass through. Bull was down in about 70 yards from where he was hit.

Was shooting that 657 grain arrow about 172 fps.

If you're thinking about it jump in head first and go for it. I was in the same boat 3 years ago. I flew to denver and got some stellar coaching from Tom Clum. Its a huge and daunting commitment but let me tell you its rewarding when you get one down with a stickbow. 🤘

bisblue

WKR
I'm shooting for my first elk with a stick bow this year as well. I took my recurve on a spike tag I had last year but called in tons of bulls instead. It was a limited entry Nevada tag so that's not exactly the norm.

I'm pretty excited work let me transfer from Nevada to Central Idaho where I can at least chase them 20 minutes from the house after work.

I'll give it a feel but I'm pretty sure I'm going to put down the first legal thing that I get a good opportunity on. Definitely feeling a pretty big confidence bump after doing a training day with Joel Turner.

I'm shooting a full length Easton 340 of the VPA three blade and about 200 grains up front. I've got a heartland custom recurve pulling about 50 lb at 30 in.

bigjohn2

FNG
Quite a privilege to have elk hunt so convenient. Old saying: bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. Elk either sex with a stick is such a trophy either way.

Bails-UK

FNG
I'll be making the trip over to Colorado from UK 🇬🇧, this will be my 7th attempt at an Elk and I'll take the first legal Elk in range, I'll be using my 49# Big Jim Buffalo, 500grn GT Traditional 500 arrows with 200grn VPA 3x blades up front.
Good luck on your hunt, I look forward to reading the results of your adventure.

First elk was broadside at 40.
60# Stalker Coyote Longbow shooting a 600-650 gr arrow with an Iron Will. Back of both lungs and he died about 300 yards off. 266" 5x4

Second was a spike at 15. Quartering away with a 54# Stalker Wolverine recurve. About the same arrow setup. Tons of penetration.

Last year's bull was with the same curve setup but a wide Iron Will. 27 yards broadside. Bottom of the heart. He went about 70 yards and stood there. Hearing him crash was awesome!

Afhunter1

WKR
I’ve killed two bulls with trad gear. Both were basically the same setup, a 56#@26” longbow with a 550 grain arrow. I use 125 grain magnus stinger 4 blades. I’ve had good penetration and will be using the same setup this year.

bisblue

WKR
I'll be making the trip over to Colorado from UK 🇬🇧, this will be my 7th attempt at an Elk and I'll take the first legal Elk in range, I'll be using my 49# Big Jim Buffalo, 500grn GT Traditional 500 arrows with 200grn VPA 3x blades up front.
Good luck on your hunt, I look forward to reading the results of your adventure.
Good luck!