Question for rifle guys?

Anything I do I do obsessively :). But no need for that. Grab any rifle in a reasonable hunting cartridge and practice. It’s as simple or hard as you want.

Get a 30-06 and you’ll never have to research again...or dozens of other calibers that will work just fine.

it’s really not that big a learning curve.

elkguide

WKR
I really like spending time in the woods. Deer and elk hunting are the two big avenues that I use to get out there. I just love a new tool also. From the days of a Bear 55# recurve to where I wasn't satisfied unless I was drawing at least 75# from various compounds to being happy that as most of my friends have turned to crossbows, I am still shooting a compound at 60#. I shoot in my backyard until it gets to cold and then I shoot in my basement. When it comes to rifles, I love to punch holes in paper almost as much as I love letting the air out of a deer or an elk. You also left out the wonderful opportunity called muzzleloader season. So I guess that I must admit that I am addicted to hunting and if there is an opportunity to be hunting, I'm going to be out there and having just a little bit of an addictive personality, I do spend a lot of time shooting one weapon or an other. As to the OP, just enjoy. It's awesome to be able to hunt with your family. I have a few good buddies that I hunt with but my favorite times hunting are when I'm hunting with my family.

The bottom line is.......

"You don't quit hunting because you get old........... you get old because you quit hunting!"

I really like spending time in the woods. Deer and elk hunting are the two big avenues that I use to get out there. I just love a new tool also. From the days of a Bear 55# recurve to where I wasn't satisfied unless I was drawing at least 75# from various compounds to being happy that as most of my friends have turned to crossbows, I am still shooting a compound at 60#. I shoot in my backyard until it gets to cold and then I shoot in my basement. When it comes to rifles, I love to punch holes in paper almost as much as I love letting the air out of a deer or an elk. You also left out the wonderful opportunity called muzzleloader season. So I guess that I must admit that I am addicted to hunting and if there is an opportunity to be hunting, I'm going to be out there and having just a little bit of an addictive personality, I do spend a lot of time shooting one weapon or an other. As to the OP, just enjoy. It's awesome to be able to hunt with your family. I have a few good buddies that I hunt with but my favorite times hunting are when I'm hunting with my family.

The bottom line is.......

"You don't quit hunting because you get old........... you get old because you quit hunting!"
I was cow hunting earlier this week. Ran into a friend on the road who was with another guy...75+ years old, hiking, dragging quarters around, and enjoying being with the “young guys” in the single digit temps. That’s how I want to be when I’m older :)

I'm colorblind, so the whole blood trailing in the dark on green plants (seems a constant thing in Archery) doesn't really work for me haha if i don't drop him, i start just doing circles till my buddy shows up
This is me. Which is why I shoot SSTs. Yes they will ruin some meat, but I don’t have to do any tracking or walking in circles lol

Squincher

WKR
I'm colorblind, so the whole blood trailing in the dark on green plants (seems a constant thing in Archery) doesn't really work for me haha if i don't drop him, i start just doing circles till my buddy shows up
Sounds like an ADA accommodation to use a rifle during bow season is in order. Suddenly, I notice I can't see shit.

Rifle ballistics, reloading, hunting and shooting all rely on the fundamentals. There are definitely levels to it like everything. I started archery a few years ago and there is obviously a learning curve as well as a never ending pursuit of knowledge and doing it better, same as slinging lead with the boomsticks. If you have any questions or concerns shoot me a message. Im just a redneck from MT, I dont know everything but if I can help Id be happy to.

whaack

WKR
I hear ya bowfreak. For years I was in deep water with rifles. I damn near had a dozen rifle cartridges ballistics memorized. This was when I was young snd in my teens. Internet didn’t exist so I would go to the store, buy every gun rag magazine, and read it 2-3x front to back.

Then I got into archery. Never looked back for 20 years.

Funny thing is I can still understand the jargon and all of rifle-speak 99% of the time but every nice in a while I get lost on the long range stuff.

About two years ago I decided to try rifle hunting again. Made it one weekend and sold the rifle I bought. Just wasn’t my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
What I like about rifle hunting is the knowing... without a doubt... that as long as I can understand the math and concepts involved. As long as we're not dealing with weird crazy gusting winds of incredibly varying speed... knowing you should be able to "handle ya bidness" with one trigger pull, as long as you have mastered the physical aspects of you in terms of trigger pull, sight picture, and stable rest of some kind.

Also with rifle hunting it removes certain things outta the picture... such as shoulder injury affecting ability to hold at draw for long periods of time when the situation demands it, and your shoulder starting to beg for mercy after an amount of time at draw has transpired.

Bow is WAY more stressful in the heat of the moment. But I do appreciate the extra level of respect it demands when you have connected on an animal with one. And especially how anti-hunters have much less of a leg to stand on in terms of poo-poo-ing about the hunter managing to successfully pulloff a kill with bow since it is unquestionably a degree more difficult and thus to be respected. And easily argued that it provides a high degree of opportunity for the animal to live that day. Since it requires that commitment to get within close distance.

I'm prone to mission creep. I'm also a rifle guy, and long time competitive rifle shooter who enjoys cooking and eating wild game. Spent a lot of time and money shooting tiny things a long way off, from field positions so it's hard to argue with the...reliability...of meat gathering with a modern rifle. Planning my first CO elk trip now (as a whitetail hunter from the southeast), and have found no exception here.

I looked at the old .270 Winchester in the safe and started out at:

"With a 140 Nosler Partition going about 3000 fps, that will do",

to,

"A .30-06 would have a bit more poke...",

all the way to:

"If a .30 caliber magnum is good, clearly a .338 caliber magnum is gooder... Right?",

all the way back to:

"The 270 has been killing elk for 75 years and shoots fast and flat with no recoil. Should be fine"

If there's an end to the rabbit hole, I haven't found it. Currently considering a Tikka T3 in 30-06 hanging on the used rack locally if it is still there after Christmas.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
So question... I know it's very personal and subjective... but does a .270 have less perceived recoil than a .308 Win?

I'm asking because been doing a bit of preliminary research, and on paper on the Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil table... it looks like it's same as .308 basically. And I'm looking for something a little less than .308

By the numbers they are probably very close. Neither is anything to be concerned about unless you're talking about very light rifles. Any differences would come down to stock design and fit to your body.

My 308s have all been heavier and suppressed, IOW, exceedingly pleasant to shoot.

RCB

WKR
So question... I know it's very personal and subjective... but does a .270 have less perceived recoil than a .308 Win?

I'm asking because been doing a bit of preliminary research, and on paper on the Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil table... it looks like it's same as .308 basically. And I'm looking for something a little less than .308
So I've never shot a 270, but friends who have say it feels about the same as 308. Perhaps even more recoil due to more powder, though i'm sure it depends on the load. So if 308 is uncomfortable, I wouldn't count on a 270 to solve that problem.
A better bet would be to try (in decreasing order of recoil, I believe) a 7mm-08 (about the same amount of powder but smaller bullet), 6.5 Creedmoor (or other 6.5 option), or 243 for a substantial difference. The general consensus seems to be that the first two are plenty capable on elk to most ranges people are comfortable shooting, and I'm sure 243 would be serviceable too with the right bullet and shorter range.
Could also look into a suppressor.

TheGDog

WKR
To be fair... the .308 is not so bad with 150gr. But I really don't care for it with the 168gr. They work impressively. But figuring once I run out of them, I'll replace with 150's from then on out. I had asperations of Black Bear, so not knowing much in the beginning, I'm like oh, well I'd better get the biggest they make.