Question for Slik 634 Users

marktole

WKR
I’m 6’ tall and have been looking around for a tripod that’s tall enough for me to glass with standing up with my binos. The Slik 634 looks like a good option to me because it’s the same weight as my current tripod, just a little longer when folded up, and has the twist locks, which I like. My current tripod has a max height of 57” and with the pan head on it I can glass standing with my spotter, but the binos is a no go.

I have also seen the Slik 734 and 834 (I think those are the right model numbers) are taller, but they’re substantially heavier than the 634 so I don’t really want to go that route.

So are there any Slik 634 users out there who are 6’+ who have any feedback on whether they can glass standing with their binos? If so, what pan/ball head and what binocular mount (outdoorsmans, field optics research) are you using?

Anyone have any other tripods to recommend for standing and glassing?

Thanks in advance for any input!

TravKatQ

WKR
I’m 6’ tall and have been looking around for a tripod that’s tall enough for me to glass with standing up with my binos. The Slik 634 looks like a good option to me because it’s the same weight as my current tripod, just a little longer when folded up, and has the twist locks, which I like. My current tripod has a max height of 57” and with the pan head on it I can glass standing with my spotter, but the binos is a no go.

I have also seen the Slik 734 and 834 (I think those are the right model numbers) are taller, but they’re substantially heavier than the 634 so I don’t really want to go that route.

So are there any Slik 634 users out there who are 6’+ who have any feedback on whether they can glass standing with their binos? If so, what pan/ball head and what binocular mount (outdoorsmans, field optics research) are you using?

Anyone have any other tripods to recommend for standing and glassing?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I’m currently using the slik 634 topped with a gitzo fluid head and Outdoorsmans bino adapter system. Im 5’11 and can easily glass standing behind with bino and my straight spotter. The only issue I find is when fully extended it does get a little shaky with the slightest breeze and when I have my swaro 80 on it it’s even more shaky...I am looking into the 834 now for when I’m not worried about weight and think it will be able to handle my heavier optics better as its weight capacity is more. Hopes this helps. -Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Thanks Travis, that helps! Guess I could order one and set it up to try it. Most places seem to have pretty good return policies if it doesn’t work for me.

WyoElk

WKR
I can stand behind mine and glass at 6’4” but things get pretty shakey. Not bad with binos but if I’m looking far I will almost always sit down.

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'3 and move in the keys a bit to get more height but it works decently well and there is some shake in the wind. I would to want to run something really large on it at that height or extension.