|Question for some of you CO boys...

Do you know if its legal, for me to access my OTC unit through a draw/non OTC unit without getting a ticket on foot with my pack/camp/bow? I found a spot I'd like to give a shot and If I come through a draw unit the walk is only 5 miles instead of 10.... Any info on this is appreciated! Tried calling the Colorado DOW and I got the runaround from a guy in denver.

Curtis C

WKR
I cant find in the brochure were it says it is illegal to do so. I have been in limited units several times while holding an OTC tag. Most times with my bow on my pack and never do anything like calling or glassing heavily while in the limited area. The most important thing is to make sure you GPS your kill site just incase you get stopped on the way out with meat.

C

JDC

FNG
yes you can walk through a limited entry unit to get to your OTC unit. Cant have release on, arrow nocked etc... if you are bow hunting. Gun hunting can't have rounds in the chamber or magazine..

That is my understanding from CO game and fish.

Curtis C

WKR
yes you can walk through a limited entry unit to get to your OTC unit. Cant have release on, arrow nocked etc... if you are bow hunting. Gun hunting can't have rounds in the chamber or magazine..

That is my understanding from CO game and fish.

That makes sense, next time I will make sure to take the release off.

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
It is public land, you are not trespassing, never heard any issue in the matter. I would not worry about your rifle being chambered, or your release strapped on. Never read anywhere that walking across a limited unit with a OTC tag for another unit being an issue. Then again, never have I seen this question asked either.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
+1 on marking a waypoint at the kill site. I have also gone through the trouble of tracking down the game warden for that area and speaking to him about my plan, laying the groundwork for a short conversation on the trail. Also, if you want answers out of dow, call a regional field office. You can find the number for the one closest to your area in the regs booklet. If you want to wait on hold then get the runaround, call the main office in denver.

bobhunts

WKR
Use what used to be called common sense and you will be Okay. If you have a tag for another unit regardless of draw or not.. do not wear your release or carry your bow just put it on your back. You won't use it so why do it. There is no law regarding how you get to the spot you will hunt. Only interpretation on your intention while on your trek. If you look like you are doing what you described then I do not see where there will be a problem. Now if you are carrying your bow in your hand with a release on I would have to say if I were a game warden I would have to suspect you are doing the wrong thing. As someone else said mark your kill site with the GPS for insurance.

I agree hunting Colorado my whole life there should not be anything wrong with it, it is public land. i agree with the release off and bow possibly on ur pack. If possible you may contact the local warden to tell him your plans on hiking in through the limited unit and hunting the OTC jus so he has a heads up incase he stops you after a kill on the way out. I know all the game wardens in my units jus incase a problem. they are always helpful and want the best for you. Good luck to you