Question for the left handed shotgunners

Gave in today and bought a right handed gun. I guess I couldn't let a swaro sit in the gun safe that ling not on anything. I will trade it on when they become more available again
f86245ebffc56a26eaf1d6ba5726556b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TN VOL

FNG
Grew up shooting Mossberg 500 with tang safety. Picked up a couple Browning BPSs for my lefty son and I, also with tang safeties. Very nice shotguns with neutral cast. 2 yrs ago I got a Beretta A400 and love it. All other guns are lefty excluding ARs.

NayNay

FNG
I always shot my dad’s right handed guns. He bought me a left handed SBE III and now I’ll always try to buy left handed. I also have a left handed Remington 700 30-06. That being said, this doesn’t mean my right handed brother should inherit all his guns!

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
A while back, I decided to spend some time and money for everyone in my family to get their shotguns fitted. Instantly, eveyone shot better. During the process, we all figured out that we have some very bad habits that come from trying to fit ourselves to the guns. The worst offending guns for the lefties were actually the older O/U guns.

Left-handed guns are harder to find & some modes just aren’t even made.

Yarak

WKR
Always a lefty shooting RH long guns
The only one close to LH I have I built myself
It’s a Husqvarna 1640 action 308 with a Richards microfit lefthand stock for right hand action
It’s my go to deer rifle and just like the rest it’s just natural for me to operate since I’ve done it all my life

LOC4L

FNG
I switched from a RH Stoeger M3500 to a LH Benelli super black eagle 3, and while its nice to feel special.

If I was doing it again I would pick the gun that has the best feel/swing and not worry about handedness, the shell ejection is so fast it is barely noticable.

I saw the right handed gun as a benefit because I could load my gun faster and from the firing position with my right hand. With a LH I need to rotate the gun flat with the ejection port to the sky by turning my left wrist clock wise.

To add insult to injury most guns only have left hand ejection while other operations like bolt release and safety are still set for right handers.

ltkasten

FNG
I shoot a RH beretta a300. I flipped the safety and the cast so it fits me just like a left handed gun would. I've never had a problem with the RH action and I actually find it easier to load/clear since my line of sight is on the same side as the action. I wouldn't worry about the handedness, just make sure it has a lefty-friendly safety and an adjustable cast.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
One of the first guns Dad bought for me was a used lefty 870 wingmaster.

That old girl has been to the war and back a couple times and I'll never part ways with it.

Having shot right hand and left hand shotguns, once you've tried a lefty or at least ambi gun, you won't go back

gerry35

WKR
I'm amazed at how many left eye dominant guys just shoot RH guns, makes no sense at all. I can just imagine how many more options we would have if guys bought properly set up left hand or ambidextrous guns. Semi auto's are the worst, eyes don't grow back if something goes wrong when you're out hunting.

SloppyJ

WKR
Since we're reviving threads, I shoot left handed (almost blind in right eye) but I'm right handed. I bought a new Maxus II last year and changed the cant on the stock and I love it. I don't have a problem with any semi auto rifle, shotgun, or pistol. I prefer to get those right handed for ease of modifications and resale. If you're a lefty wanting a shotgun and don't know which way to go and are okay with a pump, get a BPS.

However, I just picked up my first left handed bolt in 280AI and I really think I'm going to love it. I love reading these threads because I felt so alone before I started talking about it and now realize there's a great deal of people that shoot lefty because of eye issues or just normal eye dominance. Even had to teach myself how to shoot a bow left handed because my eye condition didn't start until I was older.

gerry35

WKR
I'm mostly right handed but very left eye dominant too, can't hit anything at all from the right side lol. I did have a RH Ruger 10-22 which is when I discovered how much stuff gets pitched into your eye when it cycles. Had a BPS which was nice but I'm looking at something more compact. I'll be checking out some Over Under's tomorrow and seeing if any of them have a neutral cast. It's amazing how many of these which should be ambidextrous are cast for RH shooters still. Might have to look at getting the stock bent or seeing if a replacement LH stock is available.

Lamont22

FNG
I'm amazed at how many left eye dominant guys just shoot RH guns, makes no sense at all. I can just imagine how many more options we would have if guys bought properly set up left hand or ambidextrous guns. Semi auto's are the worst, eyes don't grow back if something goes wrong when you're out hunting.
I agree and wish that more LH media personalities would push their sponsors to offer proper LH shotguns. Steve Rinella seems to have some type of agreement with Weatherby and every time I see him with a shotgun it’s RH. Why wouldn’t he tell them they need to offer LH guns if they want to sponsor him?

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I agree and wish that more LH media personalities would push their sponsors to offer proper LH shotguns. Steve Rinella seems to have some type of agreement with Weatherby and every time I see him with a shotgun it’s RH. Why wouldn’t he tell them they need to offer LH guns if they want to sponsor him?
Right?

When he first talked about his special Meateater rifle, I went online looking

All right handed.

Useless

Netherman

WKR
I have both. A 12 and 20 870 that I switched the safety around on and a lefty versa max. I went with the lefty autoloader after shooting a friends 11-87 and getting the occasional powder to the face. Either the gas driven autoloader was the reason or I'm so slow on a pump that the I let the "dust settle" before opening the breach.

One other consideration is that guns are designed to fail away from the shooters face. i.e. to the left in a right handed gun. I haven't experienced any failures or know anyone personally who has, but I'll be making sure my kid has the correct handed gun for this reason. (plus it's an excuse to buy more guns)

Tim_VT

FNG
I am left eye dominant/right handed so shoot long guns lefty. Some "normal" right handed semi auto shotguns have spit hulls right in my face so if I was looking for a new one I'd prefer a lefty. Most O/U's and pumps with a neutral cast are my preference. My Benelli SuperNova has an adjustable cast so I have it set up for a left hander. After years of shooting righty/neutral cast guns it feels pretty weird to me - I shoot it well - but it still feels a bit odd.

Anyone mess with the Browning Cynergy? I gun I've always lusted. Wondering how adjustable it is. I think there is a TON to be learned from proper fit and adjustment.

I bought one of the first lefty VersaMax guns. It shot OK. After a Waterfowl season on the Struggle Bus I revisited the shit in the gun box. Broke out a few tools. And shimmed it properly. I now often go pretty close for 7 shells, 7 birds. Think I finished a strap with 10 shells this season and one or two of those were cripple finishers. Huge difference.

Many claim shooting a RH gas gun "Isn't a big deal". Until you're shooting incoming geese passing over head. Seems it can dump POUNDS of hot, unburned powder in your right eye. No Bueno. It's worth the couple extra bucks and the effort to find the lefty.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been a pump guy for shotguns and whitetail hunting with my 7600. I've changed my safety on the 7600 to lefty but never felt that I needed a left hand pump, and I guess I'd feel the same for a semi auto. It's might be just me, but feel that I get back on target real fast with a pump action.

gerry35

WKR
Anyone mess with the Browning Cynergy? I gun I've always lusted. Wondering how adjustable it is. I think there is a TON to be learned from proper fit and adjustment.

I bought one of the first lefty VersaMax guns. It shot OK. After a Waterfowl season on the Struggle Bus I revisited the shit in the gun box. Broke out a few tools. And shimmed it properly. I now often go pretty close for 7 shells, 7 birds. Think I finished a strap with 10 shells this season and one or two of those were cripple finishers. Huge difference.
I would love to check out those Cynergy shotguns and have wondered if they are actually lefty friendly.

Many claim shooting a RH gas gun "Isn't a big deal". Until you're shooting incoming geese passing over head. Seems it can dump POUNDS of hot, unburned powder in your right eye. No Bueno. It's worth the couple extra bucks and the effort to find the lefty.

Similar to you along with the RH Ruger 10-22 pitching hot powder in my eye long ago I had a primer go on a RH Ruger 77 Mk II and experienced the same thing. Everything is fine shooting RH guns until it isn't......