Question for the Rokslide Ladies

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
My wife's hands/fingers get extremely cold, extremely fast while hunting with me, or while doing anything in the cold generally. I'm talking her fingers and hands turn purple. What are some of the warmest gloves that have worked for you?

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Forsure not a lady ,but I got my wife some light merino gloves and some good insulated leather biker mitts.

Depending on the hunting situation, like if it’s a long sit etc, maybe use whatever warm gloves you find and one of those muffs that have a neck strap would work well. I’ve seen them in most of the hunting clothing websites, Sitka etc. she might be able to get away with a thinner and easier to do stuff in glove if she can keep her hands in there most of the time. If she is glassing a lot there’s a bunch of companies that make down mittens just for that and they also might be useful in conjunction with some thinner merino gloves. Just my 2 cents…

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Have you thought about a battery powered heated pouch that goes around your waist, Milwaukee makes one. Otherwise can’t go wrong with mitts and or hand warmers.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My wife uses one of those hand warmers that you see quarterbacks use. Has a belt that goes around your waist then has a “tube” you put your hands in with faux sheep skin. She puts 2 hand warmers in there in the morning. Game changer!!!

Laramie

WKR
Any decent glove with a toe warmer stuck to the top inside works great for my wife. The key is to warm the blood going across the back of your hand. In the palm is much less effective. If that doesn't work, take the suggestion above with the battery powered pouch.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
thanks for all the suggestions, in the east while deer hunting she doesn't have to glass much if at all when with me, so mittens and the handwarmer thing would both work!

thanks again

Laramie

WKR
thanks for all the suggestions, in the east while deer hunting she doesn't have to glass much if at all when with me, so mittens and the handwarmer thing would both work!

thanks again
One other thing that really helps keep your hands warm is making sure your core body temp is good- make sure she has quality stuff to wear.

CJF

WKR
A thin liner glove with a mitten large enough to go over that liner glove easily and put a handwarmer in each one. It's like small portable toasters for your hands.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Smartwool makes a merino fingerless with a fold over mitten. My wife keeps a hot hands in the mitten portion.

When it's super cold on her hunts up in Northern Minnesota you can remove the fold over portion and just make them merino fingerless. She then adds a heavier full mitten over the fingerless. Smartwool makes a sherpa lined leather mitten that is super warm and doesn't wet out in snow and rain.

My wife's hands/fingers get extremely cold, extremely fast while hunting with me, or while doing anything in the cold generally. I'm talking her fingers and hands turn purple. What are some of the warmest gloves that have worked for you?
Sounds like she might have Raynaud's

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a lady, not even a gentleman. But, that sounds like Renaud's Phenomenon. I would look into heated gloves.

A good liner (like a lightly insulated ice climbing glove) AND OR Alti Mits would be a good choice too.

I would see a healthcare provider as well. Especially if the problem has developed recently. Even if it has not, I would still recommend a visit.

Layer gloves/mitts
Make a system where she has a wool thin pair of gloves over which another glove can go - insulated or not and then a mitt shell over that

Like mountain climbers - layers work very well
even a 4 glove system - thin wool gloves then 2 gloves for over that - one insulated and one non - wear that next layer depending on temp and throw the over mitt liners in the pack just in case
Over mitts like from Black Diamond or Outdoor Research - waterproof/windproof outer shell

Get her to learn to layer up and down as the day goes on to manage moisture and keep warm

Bet that works - it does for me in the mountains.

Thin wool liner, then heated Outdoor Research Heated Mitts. If your hands aren't warming normally (Raynaud's, autoimmune disorders, etc....) , no gloves will warm them up without some external help.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I still haven’t dialed in a good glove system. Following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My husband has gloves like these and I always steal them especially when we are going to be sitting for a long time. And he has some trigger finger mitten inserts. Keeps me warm every time. I also add heat warmers in there on especially cold days.

Anyone have suggestions for fingerless and regular gloves for smaller hands? I found a pair of liner gloves from Bass Pro that work okay for drier conditions but they're pretty crappy for waterfowl hunting or rainy situations.