Question for the tikka junkies

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm thinking about this set up. Have you ran it before and how accurate was it?
I've got a Criterion in 30-06 on my Tikka. I don't have any sexy pictures, but it's consistently sub-MOA and I've gotten a few 5-shot groups around 0.75 MOA. I'm not a 0.5 MOA shooter, so any better than that requires someone else to pull the trigger.

If I were doing it all over again I'd go shouldered prefit because the barrel nut just adds another moving piece to the equation and doesn't provide any real benefit (to me). You're still gonna need a barrel vise and a torque wrench to swap it out.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Criterion in 30-06 on my Tikka. I don't have any sexy pictures, but it's consistently sub-MOA and I've gotten a few 5-shot groups around 0.75 MOA. I'm not a 0.5 MOA shooter, so any better than that requires someone else to pull the trigger.

If I were doing it all over again I'd go shouldered prefit because the barrel nut just adds another moving piece to the equation and doesn't provide any real benefit (to me). You're still gonna need a barrel vise and a torque wrench to swap it out.
Thanks for the feedback and I was wondering what the deal was with the barrel nut. Makes sense now and yeah I have been looking at barrel vises....this could get addicting lol

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking about this set up. Have you ran it before and how accurate was it?
I ended up not going with Criterion. My first barrel was a Preferred Barrel Blanks in 6.5-284 with a barrel nut. The barrel shot lights out, as in .25moa, easily. However, I ordered a contour that was far, far too heavy for my needs or desires. It has been replaced with a shouldered prefit from Carbon Six (McGowen Precision blank). 6 fantastic shooter and far less weight. I also have McGowen shouldered prefits on two other Tikka actions--one in 244 Ackley improved (6mm Remington Ackley Improved) and one in 7mm-08. The 7-08 is a tiny bit finicky on bullets, but both are outstanding shooters.

This is the Tikka 244AI, shooting 90gr Sierra Gamegchangers at 3400fps, 200yds. The limitation is the trigger puller.

Attachments

• 20210908_104009.jpg
    20210908_104009.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 17

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback and I was wondering what the deal was with the barrel nut. Makes sense now and yeah I have been looking at barrel vises....this could get addicting lol
I know have the vice and the action tool--and it is addicting! I have 30.06, 7mm-08, 270, 6.5-284, and 244AI barrels that I can switch between 3 different receivers in minutes.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up not going with Criterion. My first barrel was a Preferred Barrel Blanks in 6.5-284 with a barrel nut. The barrel shot lights out, as in .25moa, easily. However, I ordered a contour that was far, far too heavy for my needs or desires. It has been replaced with a shouldered prefit from Carbon Six (McGowen Precision blank). 6 fantastic shooter and far less weight. I also have McGowen shouldered prefits on two other Tikka actions--one in 244 Ackley improved (6mm Remington Ackley Improved) and one in 7mm-08. The 7-08 is a tiny bit finicky on bullets, but both are outstanding shooters.

This is the Tikka 244AI, shooting 90gr Sierra Gamegchangers at 3400fps, 200yds. The limitation is the trigger puller.
Thank you for this input. Exactly the type of info i am looking for. I didn't realize carbon 6 were working with McGowen blanks that makes things very interesting :) I will dive down that rabbit hole now. I think I am just going to buy a tikka LA and try to build a 6.5-284. Dad always shot one for competition and said it was lights out. Really trying to get into this 6.5 realm but 30 cal is always on my mind. My 6.5 shoots really well right now just always want more i guess. Don't want to mess with a good shooting gun so i think i will leave it and try to find a prefit in 6.5-284....prc seems like the equal??

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for this input. Exactly the type of info i am looking for. I didn't realize carbon 6 were working with McGowen blanks that makes things very interesting :) I will dive down that rabbit hole now. I think I am just going to buy a tikka LA and try to build a 6.5-284. Dad always shot one for competition and said it was lights out. Really trying to get into this 6.5 realm but 30 cal is always on my mind. My 6.5 shoots really well right now just always want more i guess. Don't want to mess with a good shooting gun so i think i will leave it and try to find a prefit in 6.5-284....prc seems like the equal??
On the prefits, most folks won't show them for the Tikka. Call. At least for McGowen and Carbon 6. In addition, if you are a veteran, both offer discounts on a phone call.

As for 6.5PRC vs 6.5-284. Case capacity is almost the same, depending on who you ask, and how they measured. There is a Rifleshooter article out there that shows the 6.5-284 as much lower--but it is because they went with an identical COAL. That matters for a short action rifle, but it does not matter for a Tikka action.

The PRC is a magnum bolt face, vs standard for the 6.5-284, so your donor action may make the difference.

The PRC requires WSM or Magnum magazines, where as the 6.5-284 fits easily in standard long action mags.

In factory loads, the PRC is pushing about 100-150FPS faster--but those are factory loads meant for short actions on both rounds. With the Tikka and an appropriately chambered barrel, you can load longer, and equalize the difference. There is a lot of internet bragging about how fast guys are pushing the PRC. I'm not saying they are exaggerating--but they are likely over pressure and I'm not sure how their accuracy is doing. With Reloder 23, I'm pushing the 142SMKs at 3000fps out of a 24" Carbon Six, and I don't believe I am at the top node. H4831 was slightly more accurate, but 150fps slower. Their may have been a higher node with 4831, but I felt I was already pushing pressure.

This is my 6.5-284 with the 24" Carbon 6, and Mountain Tactical bottom metal in a Bell and Carlson M40. Can't recall who the bolt handle and knob were from.

Attachments

• 20210427_164954.jpg
    20210427_164954.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210427_165020.jpg
    20210427_165020.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210427_165209.jpg
    20210427_165209.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 28