Question for those with chamber sealer

I bought a MEAT brand chamber sealer late this summer. Seems to work well, but I’m doing a bit of digging, I’m not sure it pulls enough pressure out.

Best I can get in the gauge is 27-27.5. My research shows that’s about 92% vacuum.

Wondering what others are seeing? What got me thinking on this was some very small frost pockets on some of the first deer I’ve used it on. Not sure if this is normal or anything to think about. Thanks!
fa38ae21a0df6d02c46952aeb3255b45.jpg

9676a591c70abb1402168a5caafd86c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef

FNG
You're not far off from where you need to be. Ideally, vacuum preservation is best when you're able to achieve 94% vacuum. Only the best commercial machines will get there, or lower.

One of the things you can try, if you're not already, is making sure your meat is fridge cold when going into the machine. Any temperature above that in the meat will cause the escape of moisture during the vacuum process and lead to less efficient removal of atmosphere from the chamber.

The second thing you can do is to run the machine for 3-4 (average) cycles with no food or bags inside to get the oil to the right temperature and viscosity before you start packaging. This may solve a little for you as well. Do this everytime you start the machine. More cycles will be required if the ambient temperature is chilly.

It's always a good idea to check the oil in the pump, provided you have a bubble or some other way. If there is discoloration from use or the tank is not full enough you'll have trouble getting it down far enough.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
You need a perfectly clean and dry chamber to ever see 30". Around 28" water starts to evaporate and boil off in room temperature. This off gassing will never let you get a perfect vacuum.

You might try a lower vacuum setpoint, less evaporation might help with wet meat and the air pockets that you're seeing. Dry goods you can probably turn it back up.

OP
C
You need a perfectly clean and dry chamber to ever see 30". Around 28" water starts to evaporate and boil off in room temperature. This off gassing will never let you get a perfect vacuum.

You might try a lower vacuum setpoint, less evaporation might help with wet meat and the air pockets that you're seeing. Dry goods you can probably turn it back up.

That may explain why I saw it get to around 27.5, then drop back to 27.

Again, thanks. I’ll try cooling the meat before sealing next time (assuming I get a few more deer to practice on)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wrap everything in plastic wrap first before vacuum sealing. It helps the meat in case there is a small hole in the bag or it loses its vacuum in some other way. I have two chamber sealers both commercial. One is a single chamber and the other is a huge double chamber with two sealing bars on each side. It’s really hard for one person to keep up with that one when both sides are loaded.

Lytro

WKR
I bought a chamber vac this year, and it’s been great. Anyone have a recommendation on oil?

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I've been told that your elevation has a major impact on how much vacuum you can pull

Esq

FNG
I too have a new Meat Your Maker chamber vac. I used it to bag a bunch of jerky. I only put about 10 Oz in each bag. The jerky was at room temp 69f. I ran about 4 or 5 cycles empty to warm up. Chamber was perfectly clean. It pulled 27 on every bag of jerky. Took about 30 seconds to get there. The sealing cycle was 40 seconds.

Tod osier

WKR
I too have a new Meat Your Maker chamber vac. I used it to bag a bunch of jerky. I only put about 10 Oz in each bag. The jerky was at room temp 69f. I ran about 4 or 5 cycles empty to warm up. Chamber was perfectly clean. It pulled 27 on every bag of jerky. Took about 30 seconds to get there. The sealing cycle was 40 seconds.

Are you getting poor evacuation like the OP and lots of air in the bag or are you unhappy with 27 as a number?

I've never warmed a chamber vac up.

Esq

FNG
Are you getting poor evacuation like the OP and lots of air in the bag or are you unhappy with 27 as a number?

I've never warmed a chamber vac up.
My bags are coming out looking like I would expect/want. They appear very good to me.