Question on ashes?

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a tent and stove for years on hunts in Arizona and New Mexico. All of these hunts have been truck based and we were able to bring more stuff than we needed.

This year we are flying out of Fairbanks, and for gear I have purchased a light weight tepee/stove combination in order to meet our 65# weight limitations.

My previous experience with wood stoves has shown that cleaning the ashes out is a chore that needs to be done daily. I have always had extra tools and buckets to get the job done, but with my restrictions on what I can bring, I am wondering how others are handling the chore of cleaning ashes from their tent stove?

PNWGATOR

WKR
When it’s time to clean out the ashes simply disconnect the stove pipe, walk the stove outside of the shelter to an out of the way and ‘safe’ location and scatter the ashes. Don’t overthink it.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I will second PNWGATOR. We did 9 days in Alaska with the Seekoutside XL stove and had to empty every other day. Just disconnect at the stove pipe, carry and dump. It was usually a mid-morning chore after our breakfast fire went out and cooled for an hour.

OP
B

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. Just dumping it was going to be the plan unless others had a better idea.

fishslap

WKR
I think seek outside makes a small titanium ash shovel but the above suggestions are probably best. I live in Colorado and the wood I burn doesn’t build up ashes much so I don’t typically deal with it until the hunt is over.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
If I'm camped & set for few days, inside backpack wood stove, I line the bottom with small rocks, thin layer dirt over rocks creating a base layer. Adds a little weight, stability to stove. No small rocks then 1/2" dry dirt. Seems the base layer topped w/ashes keeps stove warm longer. Will add larger rocks under, around stove too, like a fire ring. Stove warms up those rocks really well, hold heat for awhile and rocks create barrier to accidents or bumping stove legs.
Now to clear out some of the ashes, use a small trowel. The kind hunters should carry for personal business but 90% don't. Before starting evening fire, I trowel the cold ashes into small plastic bread bag, take outside and shake out.

Do the same with my wall tent stove, only use shovel to remove some ashes to outside of tent area, usually placed in the fire pit.