Question on Buffalo meat

fire652

WKR
I am going on a trophy buffalo hunt in Mexico. It is supposed to be free range and I have hunted with the outfitter before and he is very honest so I trust him. My question is who has ever eaten a trophy size buffalo. I understand the meat of cows are better, but this is the only tag he has and I want to hunt these before he leaves this area of Mexico (he does not know if he will be hunting them in this area in the future). Who has eaten these trophy size buffalo. how is the meat, how much meat can I expect to get? Thanks for any words of experience.

OP
F

fire652

WKR
I also would like to know if the whole animal is worth taken or if I should donate some and take the better cuts. thanks

My dad has shot both a bull and cow on the Jackson hole hunt. (Lucky resident)
My advise is to do the cuts with the bone in. That bull was the most delicious steaks I have ever had.
Can't go wrong with the ground from it either.
I don't think there will be any that is too tough or gamey so bring it all back if you can use it.

OP
F

fire652

WKR
My plan is to bring it all back looking forward to trying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it all. We used to eat a lot of bison. We ate all ground though. We eat mostly ground meat in general though. Bison is great meat, not gamey at all, but it is extremely lean.

Haven't had wild bison but we used to purchase half a bison for many consecutive years. Very good meat. The fat is also good, unlike the fat of elk and deer. I would guess you would get over 500 lbs if not more of cut and wrapped meat for a trophy size animal. Bison are big critters.

Search my name and the word bison...everything you wanna know and more is in the archives going back years. Or call me (will PM you my number) and share what I know.

2,009lb bull from 2009:

1,700ishlb bull from 2013:

Medium:

Rare:

Grain fed bison will have white fat like beef, grass fed bison will have yellow fat like this (which makes the meat taste sweeter and it is better for you).

Their eyes are a trip.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great hunt. It would be surprising if they were not fenced. 96% of buffalo live behind fences according to Steven Rinella's book. According to his book and the P&Y there are only huntable wild buffalo in: the Kaibab (AZ), the Henry Mtns (UT), around Yellowstone (WY), several places in Alaska, and northern Alberta (Pink Mtns).

The meat will be fantastic. The fat on a wild buffalo is delicious and will be an orange color. Also, be aware that the meat yield on buffalo is about 60% of their total body weight. This is a LOT more than 25-30% on deer, elk, and moose.

Let us know how the hunt went.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Rinella hunted some in Mexico on his show.... so I'm fairly confident it was free range

I've taken two, one was about 2 years old, the other a 4-5 year old bull. Both were excellent eating. In fact, of the 6 or 7 I have had meat from, they were all incredible table fare.

Been eating on this fella since this past October and it's been some of the best meat I've ever had...every single meal has been great, super tasty... Free Range, Alaska.

attachment.php

OP
F

fire652

WKR
I saw that episode and also remembered that Mexico was not mentioned in his book, as I recalled.

I am actually hunting where rinella hunted. When I went the the pope and young measuring course this area was one of the areas they are looking at allowing into there books.

Buffalo tastes like crap. You can send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425