Question on elevation change

Michael54

WKR
My longest flat shot on my farm is 350 yards we have a target set up for that shot. However there is a section i could stretch to 675ish but there is probably a 20' drop from where im shooting to where the target would be? How much would that affect my trajectory if at all? Im not a long range guy by nature but do believe the further you practice the easier it is in close. I just have a bdc reticle with hold points and can never really see myself dialing in a scope before shots.

Does your rangefinder have angle compensation? It will give your the corrected yardage to your target. It shouldn’t be much of a change though.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Does your rangefinder have angle compensation? It will give your the corrected yardage to your target. It shouldn’t be much of a change though.
I have a scout arc 1000. It just has modes i do believe? I know there's an archery mode and brush mode so im assuming the angle compensator is automatic in it?

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
20' of shot angle over 675 yards is not going to change corrections very much.

Jeff
Im just figuring on hanging a 12" steel plate out there. I have them in 100 yard increments right now. Its definitely helped me with knowing my hold points on my bdc scope. My thoughts are if i can practice at 675 ish a 300 yard shot will become easier.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t have fine enough adjustment in your scope turrets to even make the (extremely small) correction. 20’ over 675 yards is effectively nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Pathagorean Theorem
A^2+B^2=C^2
A=675
B=20
C=675.3 YARDS

So no meaningful difference.
You have the correct formula, but 'C' would be the 675 yards line of sight distance. 'A' would be the 'shoot to' distance, which would be less than 'C'. And 'B' is the 20' elevation difference, so about 7 yards (need to keep the units the same). You would have to solve for 'A'. Bottom line is the 'shoot to' distance is essentially still 675

You have the correct formula, but 'C' would be the 675 yards line of sight distance. 'A' would be the 'shoot to' distance, which would be less than 'C'. And 'B' is the 20' elevation difference, so about 7 yards (need to keep the units the same). You would have to solve for 'A'. Bottom line is the 'shoot to' distance is essentially still 675

Appreciate the correction. 20' = 7 yards for short side and 675 yards hypotenuse (c). Less than 1.5" total difference.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I just bought a pair of Leica binos with rangefinder. It has a chip in it that you can input your caliber, load, etc. before heading out shooting. All you need to do is press a button and it compensates everything.....pretty nice!