Question on hear for you all

Luked

WKR
Not sure if I havw seen this around here yet.
Friend of mine and I are going out west this year hunting. Plan is to base camp at a trailhead and hike in from there for a few days then return to base if needed.
I havw never been out west hunting before and have been researching and buying gear for over a year. So I think I have a pretty decent grasp on my gear.
My buddy has been out west a lot but most of his hunts are done with a guide or on private ground. So this will be his first year doing a backpack type hunt.
Question I have is do you all who hunt with a friend or buddy have pretty much the same gear? Or do you use or suggest using different type of items if one goes down.
Say each carry a stove or each havw a different type of water purification system.

If I carry a steripen would it be best for him to carry a pump?
Those types of things and if so what items would you all suggest us have different.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
It will get real heavy, real quick, for both of you if you double up items. Maybe it doesn’t matter if you aren’t hiking very far, but I usually split items with a buddy. He carries a water filter, I carry a stove, we split the tent (poles separate from body/fly), etc.

Consider water tabs as a backup instead of a second filter. Lots of ways to substitute “insurance” items rather than doubling up. Just my opinion. Legs are usually fresh going in, but packs get a lot more heavy when your legs are tired and you add lbs of meat in them on the way out.

I used to carry way more in my pack than I do now. It’s a learning process, and you will see what you really need and what you don’t after you carry a bunch of stuff in your pack you don’t end up ever using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're on to something OP.

I've always carried two stoves, as in he carries his and I carry mine.

Usually we share a singular water purification device (filter). I don't quite trust the Steripens yet, and I do carry Aquamine tablets as a just in case.

Sometimes he'll just carry a tarp and I won't bring a shelter (good weather forecasts only).

I might be the only one to carry a bear bag & line, only need one of those.

I'm a little more disciplined carrying the 'oh shit' type items, like pad patch kits, extra lighters, fire starter, etc.

He's better about carrying extra knife/knife blades, meat tarp, stuff like that, paracord.

Sometimes I'll be the only one to carry an InReach.

I guess to answer your question, I don't think we strategically buy items. Like I don't buy taking into consideration what he has. I buy for me. And he buys for himself. And then sometimes we pool resources and trim redundant weight at the trailhead.