Question on limb lengths on ilf riser

Another question for y’all that are more experienced than me, I’m shooting a 58” satori with the cheap trad tech limbs they’re #40’s but tiller bolt all the way in they are closer to #44 at my draw length at 27 3/4 to 28 ish. I’m wanting to go up in poundage soon and I’m curious about longer limbs the advantage and disadvantages and really my #1 question that I’ve heard conflicting answers about it’s also pretty low on my list at the same time if that makes sense are the short limbs faster compared to long limbs on a satori riser mainly just curious about that I’ve heard conflicting opinions. I appreciate all y’all’s help in advance thank y’all.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a pair of long 50# TradTech limbs on a 19” riser (a Dorado, not a Satori). I’ve got a longer draw and bought them to replace the set of short 50# limbs that came on the bow. I couldn’t tell a difference in the speed of the two limbs sets at all, just less stacking at my DL with the longs.

dlee56

WKR
I have long limbs on a 19" satori and love the setup (64" amo). I seen a big difference in the draw comfort and stacking between the long and medium limbs. Not sure about the speed but the long limbs definitely made it more comfortable to shoot and made me more consistent. I'm a 28.5" draw.

dlee56

WKR
That being said if you go with a longer limb then you may be better off going to a 45# option if you still want to end up around that 44# range at the fingers. That may be the speed difference some folks talk about, 40# short limbs will pull more poundage than a longer limb at the same draw length in my experience, but if you just bump your poundage then that shouldn't be an issue.

OP
R
That being said if you go with a longer limb then you may be better off going to a 45# option if you still want to end up around that 44# range at the fingers. That may be the speed difference some folks talk about, 40# short limbs will pull more poundage than a longer limb at the same draw length in my experience, but if you just bump your poundage then that shouldn't be an issue.
I’m going off #44 because they say the trad techs are measured with tiller bolts all the way out mine are all the way in so I’m assuming I’m close to that. I’m really looking at a set of #55 just not sure on length yet.

OP
R
I’ve been shooting the short limbs at that poundage since February straight off the fingers lol I don’t have a tab yet have shot one I liked yet looking for something thin I’m 3 under and my 3 fingers are only about 2 inches wide lol I’ve got those little whopper hands from the Burger King commercial

Btaylor

WKR
There will be a less pronounced string angle at full draw with the longer limbs which most folks prefer for draw comfort. I wouldnt be concerned about the speed difference, at the end of the day it is still a trad bow and you are going to be shooting 270fps.

Get a 3 under tab 1st. I shoot a Yost medium, it is 2 3/8" wide and my fingers are about 2 1/4". They are very nice once the cordovan is broken in and not real thick. Made for competition shooting. You would need to trim it too. Also, check out Rick Barbee's tab. I like what he's done with it and sure he could advise you for fit and they're pretty much ready to shoot - great guy!

I'm assuming your Satori is currently 17" riser with short limbs. Your TT limbs are 40#s on 17" riser. What are you planning on hunting and what weight you moving to? Most, but not all limbs will be #s based on a 25" riser. After many years shooting 36# Border Hex 6 longs on Bernardini and Rossing 19" risers making 64" 43-44# otf, I picked up a set of 40# Hex 6 shorts and put them on my 21" Bernardini making 62" 44-45# otf. I draw 28" and Border Hex limbs are pretty draw specific but this 62" is Magic! The limbs open up and launch with more authority than the 64". The 21" riser adds a little more weight and stability. I'm starting to believe that the longer riser / shorter limbs combination that the tournament barebow community is moving to has merit.IMG_7831.jpg

OP
R
I'm assuming your Satori is currently 17" riser with short limbs. Your TT limbs are 40#s on 17" riser. What are you planning on hunting and what weight you moving to? Most, but not all limbs will be #s based on a 25" riser. After many years shooting 36# Border Hex 6 longs on Bernardini and Rossing 19" risers making 64" 43-44# otf, I picked up a set of 40# Hex 6 shorts and put them on my 21" Bernardini making 62" 44-45# otf. I draw 28" and Border Hex limbs are pretty draw specific but this 62" is Magic! The limbs open up and launch with more authority than the 64". The 21" riser adds a little more weight and stability. I'm starting to believe that the longer riser / shorter limbs combination that the tournament barebow community is moving to has merit.View attachment 424305
Correct 17 inch riser and wanting to go up to 55’s just not sure on length yet

OP
R
Got the yost pro lite leather tab in today got it trimmed up to fit my fingers. So far do not like lol arrows firing a little stiff but not to bad, at 20 but I can see it in flight I’ll report back after I play a with it a little more, it’s definitely quieter coming off the tab than fingers but not by a whole lot.

Last edited:

Kentucky

WKR
For me… 55# is a lot to hunt with… I can shoot 70# but it takes too much focus to shoot well… I hunt with 50# because it’s very easy to get through the motions without having to really focus on particular muscle groups… which don’t happen with an animal in front of me… my recurve is a metal riser with mediums 60”… speed may vary 1-3 fps but I wouldn’t think enough to notice…biggest difference will be string angle… longer the bow the easier it is to get off sting cleaner… which results in a better shot

OP
R
For me… 55# is a lot to hunt with… I can shoot 70# but it takes too much focus to shoot well… I hunt with 50# because it’s very easy to get through the motions without having to really focus on particular muscle groups… which don’t happen with an animal in front of me… my recurve is a metal riser with mediums 60”… speed may vary 1-3 fps but I wouldn’t think enough to notice…biggest difference will be string angle… longer the bow the easier it is to get off sting cleaner… which results in a better shot
I meant to respond yesterday but got caught up in the partying lol but ya the only reason I want to bump up my draw weight is I can hold back through my clicker for a pretty decent time and I just want to shoot the heaviest I can and still be accurate currently I should be shooting around #44 but I haven’t put it on a scale yet so not sure but I can pull through the clicker and hold for right around 6 seconds and still have it hit where I want but switching to a tab from bare fingers I had to jump up to 250 up front to not tear really stiff. But I’m still messing with my release I might just go and put athletic tape on my fingers the tab is just a little to thick for my liking.

OP
R
Also judging by your username I have to assume your from my home state lol hopefully I run into you sometime I’m in Fairdale ky, outskirts of Louisville but have property in Ohio county if your familiar with any of those areas.

Rob5589

WKR
I meant to respond yesterday but got caught up in the partying lol but ya the only reason I want to bump up my draw weight is I can hold back through my clicker for a pretty decent time and I just want to shoot the heaviest I can and still be accurate currently I should be shooting around #44 but I haven’t put it on a scale yet so not sure but I can pull through the clicker and hold for right around 6 seconds and still have it hit where I want but switching to a tab from bare fingers I had to jump up to 250 up front to not tear really stiff. But I’m still messing with my release I might just go and put athletic tape on my fingers the tab is just a little to thick for my liking.
Get an accurate draw weight at your draw length before proceeding. Personally, I want to be able to hold at full draw for at least 15-20 seconds.

Kentucky

WKR
Also judging by your username I have to assume your from my home state lol hopefully I run into you sometime I’m in Fairdale ky, outskirts of Louisville but have property in Ohio county if your familiar with any of those areas.
I live in Taylor county. About 75-80 miles south…

I understand wanting to shoot the heaviest you can accurately… but 6 seconds is no time at all… that’s a normal shot cycle for many people… if you can hold it for 20 seconds without shaking then your good… jumping from 44# to 55# it a huge jump…

I can shoot 70# accurately and I’m debating on hunting with 46# this year…the buck I killed last year I had to hold at full draw for at least 30 seconds with 50#…the shot was only 15 yards and it worked out…but man it was tough…