Question on Mystery Ranch Mule

prm

WKR
The Pintler and Mule are the same frame. Just a different bag. If you want to haul more additional stuff than the Mule, then yes, move up. But for hauling the meat they are the same.

I found I could easily have all my day hunting stuff such as water purifiers, food, puffy, rain jacket, gloves, misc supplies bag, and first aid in the bag of the mule and then attach as much meat as I was willing to carry to the load shelf.

edwal

FNG
The only reason I’m leaning Mule is I only use a day pack tied to a pack frame right now. I don’t spike camp much anymore I just do a 2-3 mile hike every morning and carry my daily food ,water, and everything to process an elk. I don’t carry a ton of gear because I’m primarily hunting dark timber. Plus my thoughts were since the frame is interchangeable I have future options. Thanks . Ed

prm

WKR
I agree, unless your doing multi day backpack hunting I don’t know that the extra bag space will benefit you.

I even packed in for 4 days (I think that’s what I had loaded) for a solo back county mule deer hunt in Nov using the Mule. It’s a very capable pack. I also have a Kifaru Reckoning. The Mule in day mode is so nice though! And, I can haul out as much meat as I’m willing to carry, and it handles the load well. If I were going 100+ Lbs I may lean Reckoning.

TravisIN

WKR
What do you carry in your day pack? If you can give me an idea of what you carry, I can load mine up with similar gear and see how it handles it all and post up pics with it and a load in it. I don’t have any elk quarters laying around but I’ll do what I can. There’s not a ton out there on it so I bought mine with not much info and would like to help out if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntWyld

WKR
After writing out my day pack contents in this post I realized you were asking the OP what he wants to carry so you can assist him. Post edited. My bad...

TravisIN

WKR
Hey I’m down to help whoever. So throw yours up and I’ll see if I can help

HuntWyld

WKR
Hey I’m down to help whoever. So throw yours up and I’ll see if I can help

Thanks man I appreciate it but I’ve got my system pretty well figured. I was trying to help out as well by offering up a typical day hunt pack contents because I misread your post haha

edwal

FNG
Thanks. Usually I’ll pack out 1 hind and maybe the straps and and loins in the first trip with all the rest of my gear. Then pack light for the next loads where I might do both fronts. That’s what I did on the bull below and it took 3 trips. My gear is pretty much 100 oz water bladder. 2000 calorie dry food ration pack ( in a 1 liter ziploc bag). Small emergency kit( 2 lighters , fire starter, 3aaa batts, 2aabatts , life straw, extra headlamp, GPS, and a kill kit which will basically be 2 knives and a sharpener since the bags will be on the elk. Usually I’ll lash a puffy jacket on as well. I would think it could fit the 2 fronts when it’s loaded minimally but not sure. Thanks for the help. EdB8AF3A39-CF34-435A-B4DD-FC0BA193C1A9.jpeg

OP
cohunter14
The Pintler and Mule are the same frame. Just a different bag. If you want to haul more additional stuff than the Mule, then yes, move up. But for hauling the meat they are the same.

I found I could easily have all my day hunting stuff such as water purifiers, food, puffy, rain jacket, gloves, misc supplies bag, and first aid in the bag of the mule and then attach as much meat as I was willing to carry to the load shelf.

Exactly, and that's the reason I am looking at going this route. No need to carry around a larger bag if I'm not going to need the extra space. It'll pack meat the same way regardless.

Looking forward to seeing how those straps work for you TravisIN!

The mule will work very well for what you want to do. You can always add a few straps on the back to lash on your bow.

TravisIN

WKR
So here it is loaded up for turkeys in the morning. Two avian x decoys and a pretty good sized chair. In the bag I have a kelvin active, cabelas space rain jacket, a whole elk kill kit in a med kifaru UL pullout (haha overkill I didn’t wanna pull all the bags out if I didn’t need to but will want one if I kill one), pair of Sitka mountain gloves, pair of OR aerator gloves, phone mount for filming on Tripod, vortex summit ss tripod, and a very cliff bars. There is a ton of room left. You may be able to see that i still have the side straps double through the black loops to keep the bag compressed tighter. The bag is deceiving, it’s got a lot more room than I even gave it credit for while holding it in my hands. The straps are generously long so I could fit a lot more on the frame, pushing the bag further from my body if needed. Really happy with the setup and much better than throwing all those decoys and seat over my shoulder like I’ve done in the past. I’ll work on getting more photos as I do different setups.
48279d1492732fb3c8dd06c2e59be496.jpg
36f49c1436ded2f5c1cdbe493d43b24b.jpg
09ed0c97bd884d90ee625a2223659575.jpg

7c0f5c56e5a40780209a8d55c0316345.jpg
e33ca0715ef231e6603b501cf065a82e.jpg

Last edited:

prm

WKR
One of these fits perfectly on the shelf. Holds a lot too. I put my day hunt stuff in the pack bag and everything else in the dry bag for the pack in/out. Works great.

HuntWyld

WKR

How do you like those waist belt pockets? I thought about grabbing one but I don’t like how the weight of anything attached to the waist belt instantly flops around as soon as you unbuckle the pack from around your waist. Or did you find a better way to mount them?

TravisIN

WKR
How do you like those waist belt pockets? I thought about grabbing one but I don’t like how the weight of anything attached to the waist belt instantly flops around as soon as you unbuckle the pack from around your waist. Or did you find a better way to mount them?

I got the pals sleeves form Pods8 on here to put on the waist belt to remedy that problem. It was frustrating. The sleeves are extremely well designed and well made. Definitely a game changer and fixed my one issue with the frame. Now I have a holster, MR hip belt pocket on one side, and a nalgene and large MR Forager pocket on the other side and they stay perfectly in place.
87c05ec031a0311d91a341b8f317a9ab.jpg
35b35c89c79d80e5fe1be88362e4a0e1.jpg

TravisIN

WKR
Here’s a link to his thread with

HuntWyld

WKR
Here’s a link to his thread with

Thank you, those look like the perfect solution might have to get a set so I can run the belt pouch like I originally wanted to. I’m not sure why MR hasn’t fixed the issue.