Question on Threading a Bergara B14 Hunter in 300 WIN?

BCD

WKR
So when I started looking at elk rifles, I was certain I would end up with a 300 WIN. The rifle I like the most is the Hells Canyon Speed Xbolt but this rifle is only offered with a 26 in barrel in 300 WIN which I thought wouldn't be a big deal, until I went and held a couple. I do not like the 26 in barrel at all and so now I'm considering the same rifle in 300WSM with a 23 in barrel. The only other rifle that really interestes in is the Bergara Hunter in 300WIN with a 24 in barrell. My question is: if I go with the Bergara and have it threaded for a brake, how long will the barrel actually be with the brake on?

Thank You!

gbflyer

WKR
So when I started looking at elk rifles, I was certain I would end up with a 300 WIN. The rifle I like the most is the Hells Canyon Speed Xbolt but this rifle is only offered with a 26 in barrel in 300 WIN which I thought wouldn't be a big deal, until I went and held a couple. I do not like the 26 in barrel at all and so now I'm considering the same rifle in 300WSM with a 23 in barrel. The only other rifle that really interestes in is the Bergara Hunter in 300WIN with a 24 in barrell. My question is: if I go with the Bergara and have it threaded for a brake, how long will the barrel actually be with the brake on?

Thank You!

Probably add 1.75-2”. Of course you can have the barrel cut where ever you like and end up with whatever length you specify, that is to say if you’re going shorter.

It is true you can cut your barrel to length and I'm not telling you not to but consider the loss in velocity.

If you go 22 inch barrel on a 300 win then add a 2 inch brake to make it a final length of 24 inches you may only get 3000 fps with 180 grain bullet. That puts you closer to the 3006 at say 2900 fps with considerably more recoil. These are only hypothetical numbers you would have to do the math and decide if the difference is worth it for yourself.

In my mind if you are wanting a magnum a 24 inch barrel is the minimum I would go and I really wish my 7 mag had a 26 inch tube.

It's not right or wrong either way as it's your preference. Just something to think about

Scottyboy

WKR
I was going to have a woodsman threaded myself, but no local smith would do as it would require cutting too much barrel for a solid shoulder when needing 5/8x24.

If you want Bergara and want threaded, look at the b14 ridge.

If you lose 20 to 30 fps per inch (a little research shows this is about right but not exact) that can help you make your decision.

406smith is definitely correct that in apples to apples comparison the short mag will out pace the 3006 but you incur the cost of smith work, unless you do it yourself, and more expensive ammo. You will also burn 10 or so more grains of powder per shot for a roughly 20% increase in recoil from the same weight gun.

I really meant that cutting a WSM brings it closer to a stock 3006 but only you can decide what you want the finished product to be.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I was going to have a woodsman threaded myself, but no local smith would do as it would require cutting too much barrel for a solid shoulder when needing 5/8x24.

If you want Bergara and want threaded, look at the b14 ridge.

I looked at the Ridge-it's too heavy for my liking. I'm thinking I will just go XBolt in 300WSM.

Scottyboy

WKR
I looked at the Ridge-it's too heavy for my liking. I'm thinking I will just go XBolt in 300WSM.

She does get chunky with a scope and can, but shoots better than I am able too. I do not lug mine around the mountains like many, otherwise I would have gone a different direction for sure