Question on WY NR License Types

cshire

FNG
So no luck on WY elk draw this year.
Had a successful pronghorn hunt near Buffalo last year.
Debating on doing Pronghorn again or trying for mule deer.

I want to make sure I am understanding the General vs. Limited licenses.

WY Deer.jpg

So I can apply for a General License, quota of 550 and then I can hunt on NF lands Oct1 to Oct 25, and off the NF 11/1 to 11/5.
The Limited License has a quota of only 25 and season dates after the General License (after the area has already been hunted by 550 guys for 3 weeks) and restricted to area 105 vs. all of region F.

If the Gen License lets me hunt anywhere in F, what are the advantages of the Limited?
I must be missing something here.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Type 1 is only valid for Nov1-15 and is VERY hard tag to draw because it is a migration based hunt valid in a few of the areas inside of Region F.

The General Region F tag is valid as described in certain sections but ends on Nov 5. The hunters who drew the type 1 get to hunt there afterwards.

WCB

WKR
Advantage is the dates. Also the 550 guys are going to be spread out between the two season of general through out the entire F region.

The limit hunt in Nov. is a NOV Mule Deer hunt probably based on migration. So more deer will move in or down and limiting the pressure when deer are rutting is the goal.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
OK - got it. The big advantage of the limited tag is the migration traffic. That makes sense.

The region F general tag appears to have decent draw odds. Is the region F general tag still a decent tag? are there some huntable resident deer?
Just looking for a first mule deer hunt - no trophies needed.

Also looking at M and X as possibles with decent draw odds.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Most of region F is wilderness so as a NR you'll be extremely limited in the areas you can hunt.

Paired up with 95% of the mule deer traffic being weather/seasonal migration, hunting in thick bear country and again, you're not able to get to a lot of the places because of WY NR wilderness restrictions, it's not a super attractive unit to hunt. But that's why the odds aren't bad!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425