Question regarding my rage

4rcgoat

WKR
Im going to use mechanical broadheads this year on whitetail from a tree,first time user. Im shooting the 3 blade chisel tip rear deployment with the shock collars and a small o ring. My question is do i need to use the barr adapter that i normally use with my exodus heads? It seems to fit but leaves very little thread left on the hiit inserts.

Zac

WKR
It's not necessary, it's more of a fit issue. Spin your arrows both with and without the BAR and see which is more consistent. Should be fine either way. If you haven't purchased heads yet the new NC Hypodermic is probably a much better option than the old shock collar.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
It's not necessary, it's more of a fit issue. Spin your arrows both with and without the BAR and see which is more consistent. Should be fine either way. If you haven't purchased heads yet the new NC Hypodermic is probably a much better option than the old shock collar.
Thanks for the info.........using mechanicals for the first time,im honestly nervous as hell,lots of moving parts on these 3 blades. I shot 1 head into my foam target to see if i had it put together correctly and noticed that only 1 blade deployed, im thinking the foam prevented the blades from rotating around to expand?

Zac

WKR
Why are you using them at all? Most people shoot them if they can't tune a fixed head, but if you've already crossed that bridge than I don't understand the switch. I've heard of the shock collar failing on turkeys before.

The 3 blade is the worst head they ever produced. I shot them for a couple of years before I knew better. They work well in the best scenario (dead broadside, no bone) but deploy poorly and blades bind up on a pretty high percentage of hits. The two blades are pretty reliable as mechs go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Why are you using them at all? Most people shoot them if they can't tune a fixed head, but if you've already crossed that bridge than I don't understand the switch. I've heard of the shock collar failing on turkeys before.
Not hunting elk this year and thought i would try a different approach on whitetail, just wanted to formulate my own opinion on expandable heads.

The 3 blade is the worst head they ever produced. I shot them for a couple of years before I knew better. They work well in the best scenario (dead broadside, no bone) but deploy poorly and blades bind up on a pretty high percentage of hits. The two blades are pretty reliable as mechs go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more. Started out with 3 blades and cussed them due to poor penetration. Switched to 2 blades and love them. I see a lot of negative comments on here about mechanical but I've had no issues with the 12 or so deer I've shot with 2 blade rages, always pass through and leave a helluva blood trail if you make a decent shot.

Zac

WKR
Yeah if you have a heavy arrow you will probably be okay, I would definitely look at the Rage NC or one of the options from SEVR if you want to go the mech route. You may want to carry a fixed head in the quiver just in case you get an angle that your not comfortable with.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Haha....appreciate all the honest responses guys,after a little more thought im going to stick with my exodus heads,they have never let me down and fly true. Ive heard all the horror stories over the years but wanted to see for myself. Maybe ill tinker with the 2 blades next year.

WJS23

WKR
I would take a look at the dead meat from g5 I took a doe with them last year and my buddy got one the other night with one, massive hole she was quartering to

Attachments

• 424A3708-EEB3-4CC2-88F0-329C62EE7F05.jpeg
    424A3708-EEB3-4CC2-88F0-329C62EE7F05.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 15

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the 2 blade Rage for the past 12 years. It's like a broad sword wound. Clean them up, sharpen or replace a blade if needed and reuse.

Im going to use mechanical broadheads this year on whitetail from a tree,first time user. Im shooting the 3 blade chisel tip rear deployment with the shock collars and a small o ring. My question is do i need to use the barr adapter that i normally use with my exodus heads? It seems to fit but leaves very little thread left on the hiit inserts.

Now I can’t help but to caution you, but those rage 3 blades are a mess waiting to happen from my experience. I shot two does with two different 3 blade rages and both of them broke where the tip met the aluminum ferrule, all bent to hell. Just some food for thought.

Zac

WKR
I think broadhead changing is the biggest mistake people make. I am guilty as anyone else, I definitely think your making the best choice sticking with the Exodus. Mechanicals work great when they work. I just don't see the need to introduce a variable or a slight chance of failure if you don't have to.

Btaylor

WKR
I have never shot a rage head but have killed 5-6 dozen deer with mechanicals and have never had a failure. The overwhelming majority of deer I have shot with them were either with a spitfire or spitfire maxx. Last year I shot the deadmeats and killed a cow elk and 4 deer with them. Blood trails were not what I would call good but none of the 5 made it past 85 yards. Grim Reapers are another solid mechanical choice. My 2 top choices would be the GR in 1 3/8 or the standard spitfire that is 1 1/2". No experience with the sevr so cant comment there.

The one thing I find funny is folks saying people shoot mechanicals because they cant get thier bows tuned(not directed at Zac because he made a similar comment, I am talking about hearing that for years). The times I have had performance issues with mechanicals were when I was playing with lighter arrow weights and when my bow was not fully tuned. Stopped getting pass throughs. In my experience it does not matter what head you have screwed on the front if your bow is not tuned and you are not shooting an arrow of adequate weight for the setup, your performance will suffer and possibly greatly.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
4rcgoat I'm going to say this from experience with helping track a lot of whitetails and hogs... If you shoot a Rage shoot the two blade. Granted I have seen both fail alot BUT that 3 blade rage chisel tip is absolute garbage. Trust me on this one I have seen ferrules break/blades rip off (scapula and rib hits not even talking about a humerus/knuckle hit), broadheads not deploying (broadheads were in the animal) and these are all on 80-120lb whitetails (Florida/Alabama) and pigs ranging from 60-150lbs.

If I was going to say shoot a mechanical look at Sevrs or G5 Deadmeat. At least those broadheads have a little more structural integrity and can withstand some decent impacts. If not at the very least take the chisel tip ones back and get the two blade rage. At least the two blade rage will have a higher rate of deploying.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
4rcgoat I'm going to say this from experience with helping track a lot of whitetails and hogs... If you shoot a Rage shoot the two blade. Granted I have seen both fail alot BUT that 3 blade rage chisel tip is absolute garbage. Trust me on this one I have seen ferrules break/blades rip off (scapula and rib hits not even talking about a humerus/knuckle hit), broadheads not deploying (broadheads were in the animal) and these are all on 80-120lb whitetails (Florida/Alabama) and pigs ranging from 60-150lbs.

If I was going to say shoot a mechanical look at Sevrs or G5 Deadmeat. At least those broadheads have a little more structural integrity and can withstand some decent impacts. If not at the very least take the chisel tip ones back and get the two blade rage. At least the two blade rage will have a higher rate of deploying.
Appreciate the advise,after some more digging around ive come to the conclusion that im not even going to try and sell these 3 blades to someone else to get some money back,they are headed for the trash! Glad i asked for some advise thats for sure.

Zac

WKR
Yeah the Grim Reapers are probably a good middle of the road head, they make some very reasonable smaller cutting diameter heads with good blade angles.