Question: Wyoming Resident Hunting Wilderness Areas

Calcoyote

FNG
My wife and I will likely be moving to Wyoming next March or April 2022. I have checked the hunting regulations and it looks like I am still going to have to purchase a non resident tag in 2022 due to the fact that a person is required to have lived in the state for one year before they can apply for a resident tag. I am okay with that, but what about the hunting designated wilderness areas? Would I still be required to have a guide even though I will have been living in Wyoming and will have a valid Wyoming drivers license and license plates on my truck to prove it? If we move to Wyoming in April of 2022 can I hunt the elk and deer in designated wilderness in the fall without a guide with a non resident tag?

Last edited:
You will still be a non resident hunter.

Also, to be a resident guide (unpaid) you must have a valid resident big game license.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Timeless is correct, you are a non resident as far as hunting regulations, regardless if your license, until you have been here 12 months and all NR rules apply. I am in that exact situation this year.

bsnedeker

WKR
Sounds fair.. those WY wilderness areas are dangerous! You need to spend at least 12 months in the state before you are competent enough to hunt them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Calcoyote

Calcoyote

FNG
Sounds fair.. those WY wilderness areas are dangerous! You need to spend at least 12 months in the state before you are competent enough to hunt them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Lol. So true. Its not too dangerous for me to call coyotes in designated wilderness, or hunt upland birds such as grouse or quail, and I can backpack all summer long in designated wilderness, but when deer season opens it suddenly becomes too dangerous.

Right now it makes me mad, but it is a price I am gladly willing to pay to live in Wyoming. Been wanting to move there for years.

Last edited: