Question

When do you guys/gals decide to add a layer? Do you wait until your so cold you have to put on a layer or two, or add before you get cold?

motts

Lil-Rokslider
If I stop moving, the temps justify it, and I know that I'll be stationary for a while, I immediately put on a layer before I feel cold and get chilled. If I'm on the move, I'll wait until I absolutely have to put on a layer because I don't want to have to stop and take it off again halfway up the next hill. I try to start cold, work cool, and rest warm with my layering system.

elkguide

WKR
I try to add a layer within a few minutes of stopping. It's hard to overcome that chill if you're not moving.

OP
justinspicher
Until recently I always carried a layer but rarely used it, and by then it was too late. I was already cold and it seemed to take forever to warm up. As I've gotten older I've learned to dress down sooner and add a layer sooner. I think I didn't do it when I was younger because I was "tough". Actually, I was lazy.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
When rucking in cold weather in the Marines we were always told to stay "comfortably cool". If I'm hiking in the cold and am on the move I will tolerate a bit of a chill but I usually just wear a merino tee. If I get too uncomfortable I will put on a fleece over that, and sometimes put on a neck gaiter or something on my head, but I never put on the puffy while on the move unless it is way below freezing, which I rarely get out in those conditions. I usually hike/train in the summer and do hunting in the fall. But, I tend to bundle up immediately if I'm going to be sitting still. I'm pretty cold natured.

CodyAK

FNG
Countless introductions to the silver bullet when cherry 11b's ruck wearing silkies and goretex. I try to stay as cool as tolerable like you mentioned.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For archery season I really haven't needed many layers, but during some rifle hunts I'm wearing only my base layer hiking in, even in the teens and low 20's because I heat up quick when I'm on the move. Then I layer up as soon as I stop, or slow down.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm tall and thin so heat loss happens fast. If it's under 60 or so I add a layer after 5 minutes of stopping.

Gorp2007

WKR
Countless introductions to the silver bullet when cherry 11b's ruck wearing silkies and goretex. I try to stay as cool as tolerable like you mentioned.

I had to Google "army silver bullet" to figure out what the hell you were talking about. I regret nothing.

Also, I tend to end up in just gloves and a merino top when I'm moving with a purpose during the winter, but the quarter-zip fleece comes on as soon as I stop and the puffy as soon as I feel like I can avoid breaking into a sweat. Like others have said, it's easier to stay warm than it is warm back up, but it's also easier to warm back up when you're not soaked in sweat.

Hall256

WKR
I had to Google "army silver bullet" to figure out what the hell you were talking about. I regret nothing.

Also, I tend to end up in just gloves and a merino top when I'm moving with a purpose during the winter, but the quarter-zip fleece comes on as soon as I stop and the puffy as soon as I feel like I can avoid breaking into a sweat. Like others have said, it's easier to stay warm than it is warm back up, but it's also easier to warm back up when you're not soaked in sweat.
The old "Silver Bullet" is no joke...i swear our corpsman put a notch on their belt every time they have to give us one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk