Questions about a Kifaru setup

umbellus

FNG
Hi folks,

I've decided to splurge on a bag that actually fits me. I'm looking at a Kifaru duplex frame, a 60L camp bag with a guide lid and a few accessories. Has anyone here used the camp bag as their main pack? Any thoughts?

Also, could a standard lid be used in place of a grabit for hauling meat? They're on steep sale.

Thanks.

gelton

WKR
I have not used the camp bag as the main pack but have thought about it. If I were you I would strongly consider the quarter panel in which case you wouldn't really need a lid or a grab it since the camp bag has a roll-top.

Edit: I would also add that the quarter panel allows you to drop the camp bag once you are at camp and run pockets for day hunt mode.

Last edited:

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
The standard lid is super cheap for a reason - they've been on sale for like five years. They really aren't that useful. I have one and almost never use it. I love all my other kifaru stuff though.

Maybe the camp bag would work well for you, and they are affordable. However, by the time you get a camp bag, a guide lid, maybe a quarter panel or grab it, and a pocket two, you have spent like 300 bucks. Why not just get a backpack that would serve as a great base for everything from a day hunt to a week long backpack hunt. If you get a 3-4000 cubic inch pack and need more need more cubic inches for a backpack hunt, you can always toss a stuff sack between the frame and the the pack. I would pass on the camp bag as a replacement for a pack. A 44 mag would end up weighing and costing the same as what you are considering. It would be more versitile, and way more simple.

You might want to call them and chat about what your needs are. They are super helpful.

OP
U

umbellus

FNG
Edit: I would also add that the quarter panel allows you to drop the camp bag once you are at camp and run pockets for day hunt mode.

I was thinking about the quarter panel as well and it looks perfect, I was just wondering if a standard lid could be pressed into service as a meat hauling panel on the cheap. I had it in mind that I'd drop the camp bag, and use the guide lid as a day bag.

OP
U

umbellus

FNG
A 44 mag would end up weighing and costing the same as what you are considering. It would be more versitile, and way more simple.
This is a good point. I was talking to their customer service rep and they won't have the shoulder straps I want in stock until October so I have a little more shopping/thinking time!

Thanks for the replies guys.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a standard lid over the guide lid when I bought my AMR and love it. I wouldn’t be without my standard lid.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
This would be the same sort of setup as what youre talking about but using a 55L OR dry bag. It works well for me as a lightweight and waterproof option for backpacking but it wouldnt be as nice for hunting purposes as a normal bag would be. If you like the idea of dropping a camp bag id look at the styker for sure.

Attachments

• BB8CBA94-5C76-4F30-B7DA-3328A846D109.jpeg
    BB8CBA94-5C76-4F30-B7DA-3328A846D109.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 51
Hi folks,

I've decided to splurge on a bag that actually fits me. I'm looking at a Kifaru duplex frame, a 60L camp bag with a guide lid and a few accessories. Has anyone here used the camp bag as their main pack? Any thoughts?

Also, could a standard lid be used in place of a grabit for hauling meat? They're on steep sale.

Thanks.

OP
U

umbellus

FNG
This would be the same sort of setup as what youre talking about but using a 55L OR dry bag. It works well for me as a lightweight and waterproof option for backpacking but it wouldnt be as nice for hunting purposes as a normal bag would be. If you like the idea of dropping a camp bag id look at the styker for sure.
Thanks, this really helps me get a visual on what I'm looking at buying!