questions about optics for first time western hunt

Heading out to southeast idaho for a rifle mule deer hunt, was curious on some opinions of whether or not I should buy a spotting scope, or just use my binos on a tripod to glass for deer. I have decent glass, vortex diamondback 10x42s, would that get the job done or is a spotting scope a must have item to bring?

The answer to your question depends a lot on your intention of the quality of animal you plan to harvest???

OP
Parkercox77
The answer to your question depends a lot on your intention of the quality of animal you plan to harvest???
I'm not too hung up on the size, just having the opportunity to kill a buck at all our first time out west would be awesome. Also just looking forward to exploring some new country with a couple buddies for the first time, I think if we can locate a few deer and see some new country, I won't be disappointed.

That being the case, I would say a spotter is definitely not a necessity. I advise to skip the spotter since you are already using a tripod with your binoculars. Granted, I do feel a spotter can be a big advantage.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve owned a spotting scope for 20 years. I pack it everywhere, I love looking at critters through it.
Besides the sheep hunts I’ve been on, I’d never say it has been a necessity for a mule deer hunt. Ever.
I’ve also never been on a hunt where I’m trying to determine if a deer is a 180” or 185”.
I lift my 10x42 binos and I know immediately if I want to shoot.
Honestly, if you are asking this question, you really don’t need one.

OP
Parkercox77
That being the case, I would say a spotter is definitely not a necessity. I advise to skip the spotter since you are already using a tripod with your binoculars. Granted, I do feel a spotter can be a big advantage.
Thanks for the input! I think if I can find one used in my price range, I'll consider it, but if not I will just work with what I have.

OP
Parkercox77
How do you like the diamondbacks?
I really like them! I had a pair of bushnell binos before, not sure on the model, but it was a big upgrade! They are great in low light, which is great becuase most of the deer I'm seeing here in Kansas are around sunrise and sunset. They have really clear glass, most of the time i'm not glassing over a couple hundred yards, but they definitely do the job. I have no complaints.

street

WKR
I was just out scouting the last few days and I was running 10x50 diamondbacks on a tripod and it worked great. But it was also very limited at long distances, obviously. I think a lot of it depends on the type of country you'll be in. For the most part my setup was working great, but once I setup on a nob where I could see mile + away I was wishing I had brought a scope.

OP
Parkercox77
How far can you pick up animals with your binos? I've never been to the area I plan on hunting so I don't really know how far i'll be glassing. Im expecting it to be quite the learning experience.

street

WKR
How far can you pick up animals with your binos? I've never been to the area I plan on hunting so I don't really know how far i'll be glassing. Im expecting it to be quite the learning experience.
I can pick up deer if they're in the open at around 1.5 miles. But that distance is really cut back when you're trying to find bedded deer in the shadows. I definitely recommend getting the bigger objective lens - the more light coming through the lens the better.

I have the same binos as you and easily spot deer at 1-1.5 miles on a tripod. It’s hard to tell spikes from does but a large buck is usually pretty noticeable against most backdrops

I have the same binos as you and easily spot deer at 1-1.5 miles on a tripod. It’s hard to tell spikes from does but a large buck is usually pretty noticeable against most backdrops
individual eyes ….. INDIVIDUAL EYES ….. everyones' eyes are different so talking here does absolutely nothing for your knowledge base - do to Sportsmans Warehouse or ever Cabelas, if they think they might make a sale they'll take you outside so you can test FOR YOURSELF

OP
Parkercox77
Thats great! I've never got to test mine really more than a half mile.

mcseal2

WKR
I hunt in Kansas and in the western states and AK. I use Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B binos, Swaro 15x56 SLC binos, and a Kowa 554 compact spotting scope. I only rifle hunt and that affects my choices.

What I've found works for me is this:

Kansas I like the spotter for scouting. I use the 15x binos most of the time, but like to dial up a buck with the spotter once I find one worth really checking out. I use it to see how old I think a buck is and look for features I can use to identify a older buck when I'm hunting him. At last light it can keep me from making a mistake on the wrong buck. Hunting I don't usually take the spotter, just the 10x in a chest harness and the 15x on my tripod.

Elk or antelope I just take the 10x42's and spotter. They aren't hard to spot compared to deer with 10x binos, the spotter lets me judge them. Where I elk hunt it's late season and a lot of bulls have broken points and are in really nasty places. I want to be able to see how broke up one is before making a long hike in to get him. I use the 10x on the tripod a lot hunting elk especially.

For muleys I spend most of my time running the 15x binos off the tripod. Scouting I always take all 3 optics, hunting always both binos and sometimes the spotter. I can tell if a buck is one I am interested in pursuing to at least a mile with the 15x binos on a tripod. I'm usually not after a certain score, just a big framed mature buck. If I draw a tag where I can be more picky, I'll take the spotter. Big muleys are to hard to come by where and when I hunt to be to picky, the binos have told me what I need to know for the most part. When I have packed the spotter hunting I seldom seem to use it, I'm often hunting tighter country where bucks feel safe, and just can't see far enough to need the spotter. The bigger stable field of view of the 15's on a tripod lets me see movement better than anything else I've tried, and that's how I spot a lot of my deer.

Anyway, long answer but it should give you some information on how I use each piece of glass, maybe make it easier to decide what if anything you want to add.

OP
Parkercox77
I hunt in Kansas and in the western states and AK. I use Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B binos, Swaro 15x56 SLC binos, and a Kowa 554 compact spotting scope. I only rifle hunt and that affects my choices.

What I've found works for me is this:

Kansas I like the spotter for scouting. I use the 15x binos most of the time, but like to dial up a buck with the spotter once I find one worth really checking out. I use it to see how old I think a buck is and look for features I can use to identify a older buck when I'm hunting him. At last light it can keep me from making a mistake on the wrong buck. Hunting I don't usually take the spotter, just the 10x in a chest harness and the 15x on my tripod.

Elk or antelope I just take the 10x42's and spotter. They aren't hard to spot compared to deer with 10x binos, the spotter lets me judge them. Where I elk hunt it's late season and a lot of bulls have broken points and are in really nasty places. I want to be able to see how broke up one is before making a long hike in to get him. I use the 10x on the tripod a lot hunting elk especially.

For muleys I spend most of my time running the 15x binos off the tripod. Scouting I always take all 3 optics, hunting always both binos and sometimes the spotter. I can tell if a buck is one I am interested in pursuing to at least a mile with the 15x binos on a tripod. I'm usually not after a certain score, just a big framed mature buck. If I draw a tag where I can be more picky, I'll take the spotter. Big muleys are to hard to come by where and when I hunt to be to picky, the binos have told me what I need to know for the most part. When I have packed the spotter hunting I seldom seem to use it, I'm often hunting tighter country where bucks feel safe, and just can't see far enough to need the spotter. The bigger stable field of view of the 15's on a tripod lets me see movement better than anything else I've tried, and that's how I spot a lot of my deer.

Anyway, long answer but it should give you some information on how I use each piece of glass, maybe make it easier to decide what if anything you want to add.
I appreciate the input! I may look into getting some higher magnification binos as well.

Rich M

WKR
I did a first western hunt in 2017. Followed everyone's advice and ran 10x42 binoculars (Leupold Mojaves). We were hunting speed goats but also saw a lot of mule deer. Hunting east of old Miss, I rarely used binoculars and never a spotting scope.

We were watching this herd of antelope cause my hunt partner wanted the herd buck and was trying to pattern them (he never got it - the orange army descended predawn and spooked the critters out). I was glassing a flat area between the hills/mountains that was up to 2 miles away and could distinguish animals pretty well. Did see a nice-to-me mulie buck but he was only 500-600 yards away and obvious to the naked eye.

If you are just looking for deer in relatively open areas the binoculars should be fine.

My group pulled some tags this year and are planning to head out for mule deer in a relatively open area. Found a decent buy on a Razor 11-33x50 spotting scope for the trip. Don't know if it will help or hinder. We'll see.

Don't forget that you can rent optics - google it.

OP
Parkercox77
I did a first western hunt in 2017. Followed everyone's advice and ran 10x42 binoculars (Leupold Mojaves). We were hunting speed goats but also saw a lot of mule deer. Hunting east of old Miss, I rarely used binoculars and never a spotting scope.

We were watching this herd of antelope cause my hunt partner wanted the herd buck and was trying to pattern them (he never got it - the orange army descended predawn and spooked the critters out). I was glassing a flat area between the hills/mountains that was up to 2 miles away and could distinguish animals pretty well. Did see a nice-to-me mulie buck but he was only 500-600 yards away and obvious to the naked eye.

If you are just looking for deer in relatively open areas the binoculars should be fine.

My group pulled some tags this year and are planning to head out for mule deer in a relatively open area. Found a decent buy on a Razor 11-33x50 spotting scope for the trip. Don't know if it will help or hinder. We'll see.

I’ve never heard of that, but come to think of it you can rent damn near anything! I’ll definitely look into that.

mproberts

WKR

Super valid point, especially for the guy that might only use them for at most a week a year. You could rent a top of the line swaro spotter for a week ever year for like 15-20 years before buying it becomes cheaper.