Questions about quilt

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Asking for some advice. I have always used a sleeping bag and usually sleep like crap. I am a warm sleeper and side sleeper, fairly active one at that. Mainly hunt in southeast AK as well alaska range (want to go to the brooks range). This means the temp will usually be from 50 down to 0.

The more I read the more I am leaning towards a quilt, seems to be many positives there. But I have a few questions.

I am 6 foot 2 about 200 lbs. Seems like draft is a worry with a quilt. How wide of a quilt should I get to eliminate that? Also in terms of straps should I have at least 2 loop straps to help with the draft?

Any tips on how to fix pillow/ball of clothes in place?

Been eyeing the EE Enigma after tips from other roksliders.

One last thing, what should the minimum R-value be on a pad?

Thank you in advance for all the advice.

Gone4Days

WKR
You’ll need a great pad. I recommend either a Xtherm or Exped Downmat. Nothing less. Your pad is just as important as the quilt. You will be fine with a Long/wide. If you go with EE, you’ll only need one “pad loop”. that goes on the clips towards your knees. The higher clips (near your chest) are clipped together using the other strap. Your quilt will come with both. I made the transition to a quilt for ultralight backpacking and hunting and love my Enigma 20°. I also am a side sleeper. I would recommend a 0° and maybe overfilled too.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll need a great pad. I recommend either a Xtherm or Exped Downmat. Nothing less. Your pad is just as important as the quilt. You will be fine with a Long/wide. If you go with EE, you’ll only need one “pad loop”. that goes on the clips towards your knees. The higher clips (near your chest) are clipped together using the other strap. Your quilt will come with both. I made the transition to a quilt for ultralight backpacking and hunting and love my Enigma 20°. I also am a side sleeper. I would recommend a 0° and maybe overfilled too.
Thank you for the reply. Any suggestions on my pillow questions?

mlgc20

WKR
Thank you for the reply. Any suggestions on my pillow questions?
Agree with Gone4Days comments. I usually use an Xtherm with my quilts. I have quilts from Katabatic, EE, and UGQ, for different temps/purposes. The Katabatic has by far the best pad attachment system. Drafts just aren't a problem at all. EE & UGQ have the same system and it works fine. Just not quite as efficient IMO.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out the pillow thing. I use a few different Exped pillows. They all have small tabs on either side of the pillow. I tie a piece of shock cord on each tab, Then I can slide the shock corded pillow over the pad and it stays perfectly in place. That was a game changer.

I finally went with El Coyote quilt. I’m 6’1,325#, and was concerned that quilts weren’t made for me(I’m an active side sleeper). I talked with Brian and he recommended a custom XX-WidexLong quilt with an additional elastic band (if needed). Only costed additional $25 for the customized 15* quilt

Couldn’t be happier! Coupled with Exped Downmat and pillow. Best sleep all time in the backcountry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I've used El Coyote Quilts for the last year and couldn't be happier with their performance and build quality....and the customer service is exceptional.

Drenalin

WKR
It took me a while, but I finally figured out the pillow thing. I use a few different Exped pillows. They all have small tabs on either side of the pillow. I tie a piece of shock cord on each tab, Then I can slide the shock corded pillow over the pad and it stays perfectly in place. That was a game changer.
I can't believe I'm just hearing about this. The pillow thing has been a pain for me. I hate the inflatables generally and part of that is because they move around. A bunch of clothes stuffed in a bag doesn't do it for me either. The best I've been able to come up with is using my pack as a pillow, with a fleece balled up on top of it. Going to have to give this one a try though.

To OP, in my opinion you're going to want a wide quilt. Enlightened Equipment has a pretty good size chart, and also recommends adding 4-5" to your girth measurement as an active sleeper. The only other thing I'd add is to check reviews on whether the brand of quilt you choose generally rates their stuff true to temp or not. I've had my Katabatic 30 degree quilt down to 16 with some clothing on, but my 20 degree Enlightened Equipment starts to feel cold in the 40s.

chibirds

FNG
An inflatable pillow has been a god-send for my sleep quality, I use the Sea to Summit Down Pillow (weighs like 2.6 oz) and it's for sure worth it.

I'm a cold sleeper and use a 15 degree Nunatak quilt with a thermarest x-lite and I've been comfy in it with just base layers into the 20's. Colder than the mid-20s and I'd probably want a warmer pad, like the thermarest x-therm.

Drafts haven't really been much of an issue with quilts for me, just get it wide enough to wrap around you, I haven't really had a problem. I'm 6 foot, 150 lbs, and use a 56 inch width quilt and it's been more than wide enough for me. I'd recommend just taking your shoulder measurements and possibly emailing customer support to see what they'd recommend.

My only quilt experience has been with Nunatak (highly highly recommend, but get ready to wait 4 months at least for it). Hears lots of great things about Katabatic, Gryphon Gear, and Hammock Gear too.

Lando

WKR
Another option with the inflatable pillows is to find a light weight T-shirt that fits tightly around the pad and pull the T-shirt over the pad and pillow to keep it in place and give you something to put your face on other than the awful pillow fabric.

Last edited:

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Never used a quilt but want to try it.

As for the pillow I stuff my puffy jacket into a kifaru ultralight pullout, it works great and those items are already in my pack anyways.

Diwoochoo

FNG
I really like my Exped Downmat. It has been super durable and reliable. Took it to Everest Base Camp and have had it down to -10F and was comfy.

I got an EE Revelation Apex (synthetic) 40 to use in the early spring and fall. I planned on using to layer it over a light sleeping bag for winter, but I've actually been really impressed with it. I sold my sleeping bag and plan on layering two quilts for winter.

One thing that makes me hesitant about quilts is that you're pretty much ****** if your pad pops as the system depends on a good pad.

jayrad313

FNG
I’ve been running an EE 10 degree quilt for years and have been plenty warm sleeping in my base layer, Xtherm pad and quilt down to 0 degrees. I’m running the wide quilt with 2 straps and don’t have any issues with drafts. I’m an active side sleeper as well.
As far as R value I’d say no less 4-4.5, but I run an xtherm year round from 0 to 90+ without issue

Timj

FNG
I have been curious about quilts, thanks for the good information.

NMBigGame

FNG
Great thread!

Anyone have any issues with how loud the Xtherm pad material is? I'm an active sleeper and it seems all the cracking/crinkling noise would be a nuisance.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I did. I found it to be terrible. I ended up getting a nemo tensor, which I really like. Pretty quiet but also very comfortable as it is thicker.

I guess the new xterm is supposed alot more quiet tho, I have not tried it myself.

Drenalin

WKR
Great thread!

Anyone have any issues with how loud the Xtherm pad material is? I'm an active sleeper and it seems all the cracking/crinkling noise would be a nuisance.
I personally don’t notice pad noise. If I’m moving around, my quilt is swishing and I’m making noise adjusting whatever I’m using for a pillow.