Questions about reloading nickel plated brass

1) for the sake of accurate discussion... is it nickel or chrome plated?
2) does it need to be cleaned just like regular brass?
3) does it need to be lubed just like regular brass?
4) is it treated differently in any way?
5) does it last as well?

Slugz

WKR

I send guys to this when the question comes up. Hope that helps

Rich M

WKR
I treat it like regular brass. Have a few mixed in with my brass pile and just load em up.

OP
EastHumboldt
Thanks. That was somewhat helpful... I have about 100 once fired nickel cases, and to clarify 30-06. I gather from other reading that the problems with nickel plating are less pronounced with straight walled pistol cartridges.

MThuntr

WKR
Since you have them I say use them but I wouldn't seek them out since (as mentioned in the article above) it is more expensive, gets brittle, and can flake off (had that happen with 300wsm nickel). I have talked with several AK hunters that prefer it due to weather conditions.

when I did have some nickel brass it didn't seem any harder to develop loads for so treat it like brass when loading but inspect to make sure it isn't cracking. I say clean it so there is one more variable you control while doing load development.

wyosam

WKR
I use it some for hunting loads. Mostly when I have two different hunting loads for the same rifle to make them easy to tell apart. For instance in one case I have a lighter bullet I shoot for deer and antelope, and a heavier bullet for elk. Luckily, other than different dope I dont have to touch the scope when switching between them. In another case I have a reduced recoil load that is nice to have a visual indicator for. Those are both low volume, so they wont see many loadings (both are readily available in the brass bin at my range). I dont think I’d mess with them for a ton of firings with the questions about annealing and flaking coatings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 200 nickle plated cases in 300 H & H from the 1990s when Federal Safari factory Nozler partitions
were loaded in nickle plated cases. I reloaded them once and they shot fine.

But I prefer brass because it is softer and less likely to scratch my dies.
Plus trimming cases with a non-carbide cutter might dull on nickle plate cases.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe it’s just me, nickel plated brass seems harder in my chamfering and trimming blades.