Questions about the cling wrap and freezer paper method

WillyR089

FNG
So this will be my first year hunting, starting with an axis deer this summer. After reading horror stories about processors, I have decided to do it myself. I was pretty convinced that I needed a $900 vacuum sealer, but after my research on the cling wrap and freezer paper method, I think I have decided to hold off on the fancy vacuum sealer so that I can try the old fashioned method first.

As it relates to larger cuts of meat, like roasts, the cling wrap and freezer paper method makes perfect sense. However, it starts to get a bit cloudy when considering other cuts of meat. As an example, how would you (or would you?) cling wrap and freezer paper the following:
  • Stew meat
  • Link sausages
  • Breakfast sausage patties
I do have a small, crappy vacuum sealer that might do the trick for limited quantities of the above, but that would be pushing it. Appreciate everyone's input.
Steve where in Ga are you?

CCooper

WKR
You are on the right track. I have fought vacuum sealers for years losing the seal especially with fish fillets. I think meat keeps longer with plastic and paper anyhow. I too prefer the paper wrapped burger loves (or bricks) to the plastic sleeves, as they stack high and tight in the freezer. I have the top end Cabelas vacuum sealer and its a $600 piece of shit. I have used some good sealers in Alaska, but they were chamber vac's and VERY expensive. A 6 place chamber vac is on my wish list for fish though. Butcher buddy told me 1 year for vaccum bags, 2 years for plastic & paper- although it never lasts that long at my house.