Questions about the cling wrap and freezer paper method

So this will be my first year hunting, starting with an axis deer this summer. After reading horror stories about processors, I have decided to do it myself. I was pretty convinced that I needed a $900 vacuum sealer, but after my research on the cling wrap and freezer paper method, I think I have decided to hold off on the fancy vacuum sealer so that I can try the old fashioned method first.

As it relates to larger cuts of meat, like roasts, the cling wrap and freezer paper method makes perfect sense. However, it starts to get a bit cloudy when considering other cuts of meat. As an example, how would you (or would you?) cling wrap and freezer paper the following:
  • Stew meat
  • Link sausages
  • Breakfast sausage patties
I do have a small, crappy vacuum sealer that might do the trick for limited quantities of the above, but that would be pushing it. Appreciate everyone's input.

Antares

WKR
Good for you for getting after it. You can do everything with cling wrap and freezer paper, just get some freezer tape and a sharpie, and you're ready to rock and roll.

You're on the right track. Leave the big cuts whole. I do the same with the stew meat. I don't cube it up, I leave it in big chunks, label it "stew", and cube it after I defrost it.

Cling wrap/freezer paper works great for ground meat too. I usually make little 1 pound loafs and wrap them up.

Basically just try not to have a lot of air space in and around the pieces of meat. That might make links a little challenging. Either way, you'll learn and red meat is pretty forgiving in the freezer. Do your best and enjoy.

go_deep

WKR
For the cling wrap plastic I've been using a generic brand from Walmart. It's not as sticky and the plastic feels a lot thicker than regular cling wrap which i think helps it fight off the freezer burn longer. Oldest meat I've ever pulled out of my freezer was just over 2 years old and it was just as good as the day it went in. We wrap brats and all sorts of stuff in the plastic wrap and paper, honestly get sick of screwing around with my vacuum sealer and just use the plastic and paper most the time.

OP
S
For the cling wrap plastic I've been using a generic brand from Walmart. It's not as sticky and the plastic feels a lot thicker than regular cling wrap which i think helps it fight off the freezer burn longer. Oldest meat I've ever pulled out of my freezer was just over 2 years old and it was just as good as the day it went in. We wrap brats and all sorts of stuff in the plastic wrap and paper, honestly get sick of screwing around with my vacuum sealer and just use the plastic and paper most the time.
So how do you wrap the brats? Do you cling wrap them individually and then throw a group of them into freezer paper?

packer58

WKR
Steve, you'll be just fine with the plastic / paper wrapping. Just try to get all the air out while wrapping the plastic. Before home vacuum units were available we all used paper. I will say though i'd probably vac the sausage links, but that's just me. I process a LOT of summer sausage and snack sticks and vac all of it and it will last a long time in the freezer.

Antares

WKR
I also like to freeze all my grind meat in big chunks and then do a big batch when I have several deer worth. It grinds better when it’s semi frozen anyway.

All the above is good info and exactly how to do it. The other method is finishing all your cuts and then packaging. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Antares is right on.

I like the Freeze-tite brand for plastic wrap that's going in the freezer.

Growing up all we used was freezer paper but we went through it fast. Now its just the wife and I so we have meat in the freezer for over a year. We bought a Food Saver vacuum sealer from Walmart for maybe $100 and it has served us well for years. The wrap and paper will work and there is no reason to spend $900 on a sealer, in my opinion.

rayporter

WKR
freezer paper is all we used for years so you will be fine with your way.

now we just put it into Ziploc freezer bags. i just got done filling 14 bags with chunks of meat for a canning session next week,

i have found 3 year old meat wrapped in freezer paper several times, same with Ziplocs.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
I use plastic wrap and freezer paper for whole cuts, a vacuum sealer (~$100 from cabelas) for any pre cut steaks, and I put my grinds in quart freezer bags ( 1 pound per quart bag). I don't do a lot of stew meats, I usually just grind it. I would probably vacuum seal stew meat unless I planned to use it quick, then I might just use a ziplock bag. To echo what some others have said, the most important thing is making sure there is no air touching the meat.

Good for you for getting after it. You can do everything with cling wrap and freezer paper, just get some freezer tape and a sharpie, and you're ready to rock and roll.

You're on the right track. Leave the big cuts whole. I do the same with the stew meat. I don't cube it up, I leave it in big chunks, label it "stew", and cube it after I defrost it.

Cling wrap/freezer paper works great for ground meat too. I usually make little 1 pound loafs and wrap them up.

Basically just try not to have a lot of air space in and around the pieces of meat. That might make links a little challenging. Either way, you'll learn and red meat is pretty forgiving in the freezer. Do your best and enjoy.
This is what we do.
For wrap get an 18" Wide food service film this seems to be the best style. We got ours at Costco.
For the links I would just bundle them together in one wrap, but I keep these things limited to about a year, 14 months seems like the just aren't really as good anymore. 6 month batches are probably best.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
plastic wrap and freezer paper is more reliable than vacuum sealed bags. If there is the slightest moisture in the heat seal zone the seal "greenlights" as if sealed fully but air somehow makes into some bags with a faulty seal.

I've tested this extensively with many machines, and about 20% of the bags lose the seal after a couple months in the freezer.

plastic wrap and freezer paper has never disappointed.

lb

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I was gifted a foodsaver (FS) vac sealer about 5 years ago. In that time it has fully vac sealed over a dozen deer.

I have used a $3000 unit for vac sealing for a previous job. The $3k unit was much faster, with no downtime. With that being said, the foodsaver has done a dozen deer. Is it a high end non-stop commercial unit ,no. Will it seal an entire deer made into burger, no problem.

As for the bags losing their seal in the freezer, as someone posted. I noticed that when I first used the FS. The key here is keeping the sealing area clean in the bag. Also don't let it wrinkle up. Commercial units make this easier as with a better heating/sealing element, but i get by fine with a FS..after a lot of practice.

Kentk

FNG
I process everything to finished products and just wrap in butcher paper. I often pull out two year old meat and am yet to find anything freezer burnt.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
A valuable tip I picked up listening to Rinella was the advice offered by a meat scientist recommending Saran wrap. Saran is a true oxygen barrier whereas plastic wrap may or may not be permeable. Saran is the specific chemical compound best for the job.

gbflyer

WKR
A valuable tip I picked up listening to Rinella was the advice offered by a meat scientist recommending Saran wrap. Saran is a true oxygen barrier whereas plastic wrap may or may not be permeable. Saran is the specific chemical compound best for the job.

Are they sponsoring him now as well? Haha just kidding. I like watching his show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to the fact that I already had all the equipment for vac sealing including bulk bought pre cut sealed bags of all sizes I vac seal everything but after some bags getting dinged up and unsealing due to wear and tare in the freezer I started wrapping in paper after sealing. Works really well. It will be a while before I run out of vac seal stuff so will just continue this route.
Side note your on the same track I was,, I started hunting late in life and have never used a processor other than to hang meat. Not against it I just enjoy the whole process.