Questions for mr nice frame users

tawmio

FNG
I am contemplating the nice frame setup, but I have noticed a lot of ppl not happy with the length of the frame. Just curious about the people that r happy with the frame how tall r you. Seems to me a lot of taller people r not happy with the frame. I'm 5' 10".
Any comments will do.

Beastmode

WKR
I had a 6500 and I am 5'10" I got better lift out of the lifters than most packs I have owned but not enough imo. The frame is 21" which isn't that long considering packs in the same ballpark have 24 or even 26" stays. It will definitely work for your heighth. Will you like it, no one can answer that but you. Mystery ranch makes an incredibly durable product that a lot of people use. It just wasnt the right pack for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm 5'9 and just using the frame with a load sling or longbow pack was fine if there was not a lot of weight. However if I had to pack meat with the load sling (like i had to pack a caribou out 12 miles one way) the frame itself was not long enough for me at 5'9.

That said if using the NICE 6500 or 7500 packbag on the NICE frame these pack bags come with frame extenders if you will. Thus giving me ample load lifting for the harness. Never did I have an issue with the load lifters or the frame length being too short with the NICE 6500 pack bag. The only time the frame length of the NICE frame became an issue was when I wasn't using the large NICE 6500 pack bag.

Hope that helps.

hunting1

WKR
5-11 and the Crew Cab was the most uncomftorble pack I have ever carried. By the end of the day I wanted to leave it in the woods with 25-lbs on my shoulders all day. Made bomb proof, good design, US company the good, but too short and heavy IMHO.

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
Thanks for the help. What have people moved towards after using the nice frame? I still like the crew cab idea, would it work with any kifaru frame. Does anyone have this setup?

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
I did stumble on that post ... Possibility looks endless

I had a 6500 and I am 5'10" I got better lift out of the lifters than most packs I have owned but not enough imo. The frame is 21" which isn't that long considering packs in the same ballpark have 24 or even 26" stays. It will definitely work for your heighth. Will you like it, no one can answer that but you. Mystery ranch makes an incredibly durable product that a lot of people use. It just wasnt the right pack for me.

and that is with the frame extended a few inches by the 6500 bag.... Much better than the CC but still not ample.

I switched from MR Nice to Kifaru DT series. I have zero regrets, if you are going to drop the coin, I would consider a few more bucks for the Kifaru. Honestly, I would go with a cheaper badlands/tenzing..... and save up for another year to get the Kifaru rather than get a CC. JMHO

Joe

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
Just measured my torso it just under 20" so that's considered slightly long for the nice frame.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm 6'3 and have the Nice/CC. I made a 6" frame extension for it that moves the lifters and complete bag, up that distance. I've come to realize, no matter what you do, heavy is still heavy. When you're bigger around above your belt than below it, things tend to settle and packing out 2 Antelope at the same time will accelerate that settling. I pulled like a bas#### on that belt and it didn't matter. The pack was down to the cr@@@ of my a$$ in a few yards and it hurt, every step, all the way back to the truck.
I can attest to the fact that a CC is built tough, won't break, and will "pack more than you care to haul", but this last pack out sucked. I hauled lots of alfalfa this summer and it carried it great. Two Antelope was just too much weight. Lifters didn't help as the whole thing just settled and settled. If you can get the belt above the hips and tight enough it can't go past them, it may be OK but I couldn't get it done.

The Nice frame is 20" long, bottom to top. Mine, with the extension is 26".

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
What frame size should I go with. Can I get away with the 24" having a 20" torso.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can always adjust a taller frame shorter, but the same can't be said for a shorter frame....my 5'3 tall wife has 26" frame stays on her KU5200 for this reason.

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm 5 10 and I love my Crew Cab on a NICE frame. Packed out numerous 75lb loads with relative comfort. It took some tweaking to get it to fit right (had to size up to a large yoke) but once figured out, it fits like a glove. But I do wish it were a bit lighter.

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
Thanks everyone for your help.
Im looking into the kifaru frames a bit they look promising as well.
Id like to find out if i could retro fit a crew cab on a kifaru frame.

You can, there is a thread on here where a guy puts about every bag possible on a kifaru frame. If you like the modularity of the CC, you could try when my wife has. She has a DT frame with a a few long pockets and a cargo panel on it. You could add a lid (one of the few kifaru has to offer) and build a system just like the CC that is a bit lighter and way better if you decide you want to pull it all off and get a DT bag for a long haul.

Joe