Questions for SEEK OUTSIDE - Podcast

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do I have to tell the Wife when I buy more SO equipment? I bought an Eolus recently and was trying to figure out how to tell the Wife. I set it up in the yard last Thursday and She asked why I was setting up my tarp again (DST). I told her I was trying a new pitch I had read about...

We believe in happy marriages. We defer to our customers judgement on these issues. By the way, we have marked stuff warranty / repair in the past. LOL

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any plans for a truly large expedition style pack bag with internals above 7K?

Not really. The 6000 series packs (Unaweep / Fortress 6300, Saker, Brooks) measure about 6400 ci in the packbag without pocket volume, and honestly that packbag would compare favorably with most other manufacturers 7000-7500 ci packbags if you compare them side by side.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd like to know more about wind and snow ratings/guidelines/recommendations for their shelters and tents....particularly the LBO tarp vs SO tipis? I've seen some pretty impressive youtube videos of shelters in wind but want to hear what there recommendation/feedback would be. Also generally what makes one shelter model stand up better to wind/snow than their other models? Thanks!

Wind and snow are kind of opposite. In wind you want a low height, conical shape, no steep sidewalls, and a lot of stake points, and preferably some stretch in the fabric. The Silvertip does FANTASTIC in high wind, while a really big tent will do worse due to size.

In snow you want a steep roof and vertical sidewalls so snow slides off and you don't have to shovel as much. A courthouse does well in this. You also want very little stretch or no stretch which helps the snow slide. Dyneema does well in snow because it doesn't stretch.

Solid staking makes a HUGE difference.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would they recommend the 8 man tipi for an AK caribou hunt? No wind breaks of any kind, just flat tundra where the shelter will have to take all the wind. Thanks.

It depends on the number of people, the weight, footprint size, and how much comfort you want.

I would take an 8 for 2-3 or 4 if the weight with bush flights worked. The 8 does well in wind, and that tent mathematically is the first one that really opens up in the comfortable headroom space.

duchntr

WKR
Not really. The 6000 series packs (Unaweep / Fortress 6300, Saker, Brooks) measure about 6400 ci in the packbag without pocket volume, and honestly that packbag would compare favorably with most other manufacturers 7000-7500 ci packbags if you compare them side by side.

Bummer, just curious do you measure the bag volume filled completely to the top of the roll top bag?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That would be with 3 full wraps and the top closed. That pack bag is huge. My sister in law got inside one as a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

Post up your questions from Seek Outside here and we'll get them answered on a podcast. Thanks!

I've got the Redcliff tent/stove combo and absolutely love it. I have a quick idea for a new product. Imagine a titanium tray (or another lightweight material) with 1-2" sides that was slightly larger than the stove lid. This way it could nest with the rest of the stove panels inside the bag. The idea would be that you could use it for cooking over the stove. It's size would make it perfect for pan frying things like eggs, pancakes, and meat... but you could also add some water and use it to simmer/braise meat from your hunt.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Episode is complete and can listen here:

Wanted to jump in here to support this comment. My previous pack was a kifaru High Camp 7000. My current pack is an SO 6300 Fortress. The Kifaru was a great pack, but there is no way it was 7000ci (simple math on the bag dimensions didn't support it either), I wouldn't hesitate to say the bag of the 6300 Fortress is easily 20% larger.

Is there a shelter option that allows you to run a nest inside along with a stove primarily for solo hunting but could fit 2 people without a nest??? By along with the stove I mean at the same time...

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a shelter option that allows you to run a nest inside along with a stove primarily for solo hunting but could fit 2 people without a nest??? By along with the stove I mean at the same time...

I’ve been looking into this as well. Best option I’ve found is Bear Paw Designs makes nests that will fit in some of these tents. Would have to do some measuring to find the right one but if I go the nest route that’s what I’ll go with.

I’ve been looking into this as well. Best option I’ve found is Bear Paw Designs makes nests that will fit in some of these tents. Would have to do some measuring to find the right one but if I go the nest route that’s what I’ll go with.

I was thinking of grabbing a SO silex and just running a bug bivy with a bathtub floor then just positioning so I could also run stove if needed but perhaps there’s a better option?

rj2

WKR

I could be wrong but I think the Cimarron would be perfect for that.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A half nest can be used with a stove. So an LBO, Cimarron, Redcliff, or the tipis can use a half nest and stove.

In the Silex the tolerance will be too tight to run a nest and stove.

You can do a bug bivy with a stove, but in general if it's cold enough to need the stove it's cold enough to not need a nest, and vice versa.

Especially on a backpack hunt where every ounce really has to earn its' place, there isn't much overlap between nest season and stove season. On a family truck camping trip there will probably be a lot more overlap.

KHNC

WKR
Sorry, im a little late seeing this, but i have a few questions.

What boots do i wear to match the pack? Does Seek Outside sell boots?

What color Unaweep goes with blue eyes and light brown hair?

How many packs can one person own from Seek Outside? I currently own two. The Peregrine and Unaweep.

Which pack is best for my overweight cousin that will start training for his first backcountry hunt this september soon. I think he plans to start 1/2 hikes around mid august to prepare. Need to be able carry 200lbs easily.

Does the Peregrine come with the new tracking device for herd bulls?

Will i draw a second season NM elk tag?

What are the odds for drawing Wyoming GEN elk this year?

Will all western season close for the wuhan?

If i ever get blood on my pack, will it wash out?

Where should my overweight cousin go in Colorado to get away from crowds and kill an elk close to the road, in the backcountry? He isnt a trophy hunter. Not asking for anyones honey holes, just a good starting point.

Is Seek Outside a sponsor of the Cold Bow Challenge?

How long will a P-butter n Jelly sammich keep in a Peregrine pocket? I have two from last year.

Hope this isnt too many questions.

Laned

WKR
Hahaha. I'll have a go at these.

What boots do i wear to match the pack?
Crispi, Hanwag, Salewa, Asolo, Chaco, Teva.

Does Seek Outside sell boots?
No.

What color Unaweep goes with blue eyes and light brown hair?
All of them. But, olive is the best.

How many packs can one person own from Seek Outside?
Number of packs = Number of packs your spouse will leave you for - 1.

Which pack is best for my overweight cousin that will start training for his first backcountry hunt this september soon. I think he plans to start 1/2 hikes around mid august to prepare. Need to be able carry 200lbs easily.
Saker bag used like a talon over a Brooks.

Does the Peregrine come with the new tracking device for herd bulls?
Only if you have the super duper extra special adult onset hunter friends and family pro deal.

Will i draw a second season NM elk tag?
Maybe.

What are the odds for drawing Wyoming GEN elk this year?
1:eleventy

Will all western season close for the wuhan?
Wuhan is a province in China. According to Western terminology, that's eastern. So, no.

If i ever get blood on my pack, will it wash out?
Depends on how much elbow grease you own.

Where should my overweight cousin go in Colorado to get away from crowds and kill an elk close to the road, in the backcountry?
38°53'23.1"N 77°01'23.1"W

Is Seek Outside a sponsor of the Cold Bow Challenge?
Isn't everyone?

How long will a P-butter n Jelly sammich keep in a Peregrine pocket? I have two from last year.
Depends on if it's in a Ziploc bag and where the bag is. If it's in your garage, 6.354 days. The mice got it. If it's in your house, 1 year 5.782 days.

Good luck this year

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk