Questions from a new reloader

T28w

WKR
I’m getting the needed equipment to reload for a 6.5 creed and have some questions

If i understand correctly load data is specific for the powder, primer, brass, bullet listed but I haven’t found much load info Nosler brass. On Nosler s website, for 6.5 data, most of the loads used hornady brass. If I get the Nosler reloading manual would it be useful if I want to shoot eldm’s, should I get the hornady manual?

Or can I just take a load data using hornady brass and start at the minimum load and work up watching for pressure using Nosler brass. I want to use H4350 and it seems around 41 grains is where a lot of people end up.

And with all this being said I’ve been looking for months and can’t find any powder so if any is feeling generous shoot me a pm. I really don’t want to buy off gunbroker lol. On a side note, I talked with a smaller sporting goods store where I grew up and he just laughed when I called him, said he had over 100k on backorder in ammo and powder. Said he doesn’t see getting better in the near future.

WKR

WKR
Load data is not brass specific. You use whatever brass you choose just start low on the powder charge and work your way up.

Where are you located? I have been able to find all the components I need on a local forum. I've done some buying and a lot of trading to get what I needed but I never paid over price.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Your 1st part- the make of brass will change the Outcome but not as much as your thinking.

the printed in a book load data your reading is a “generic” load data, it’s not gospel. It’s more of a proven safe starting point. I’d just make sure it is the best brass you can justify and it is uniform, and work your loads up.

Your second part- Hahahahahahahahaha (deep breath, wipes away tears) sorry, this is about the worst time in the history to get into reloading.. it’ll come back around, but as long as your seeing forum topics saying “hey everyone x powder is available on powder.com” don’t anticipate that you’ll be able to find what you need at msrp

Regardless of brass, start at/near minimum charge and work up. You may hit pressure before book max or may far exceed book max. Your rifle will let you know. As always, work up slowly as you approach or exceed max charge. As to the brass, there are better options than Nosler for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I would look to Alpha, ADG, or Lapua first. Nosler would suffice if it is all you can get but in my experience the other 3 I listed are better brass (especially given the price Nosler charges).

OP
T

T28w

WKR
Ok. Thanks guys. The Nosler brass I had in my cart is sold out. I’ll see what else is available. And yes I know I’ve pick prob the worse time to try and get started but it was this way back 6 months ago when I was itching to get started and talked myself into waiting. May have to just wait some more. I’ll be dang if I participate in the price gouging on gunbroker.

I’m in Alabama.

ADR

FNG
Just be aware lapua 6.5CM brass is sold with large rifle primer pocket or small rifle primer pocket. This could help you based on what rifle primers you’ve been able to find. If you found some.

Keep an eye on hodgdons website. They often have powders in stock. Another option is powder valley. I just picked up a bunch of norma powder. Their urp will put you into the 4350 burn range.

OP
T

T28w

WKR
Ok guys another question. Got everything I need now except powder and primers lol. Got the scale and check weights out to see how it would do. It’s a rcbs m500. I zeroed it and verified at .5,1,and 5 grains. Everything was good. I then moved it to 50 grains and is .6 grains off. I tried it with the 20s and 10 grain weights and with the single 50 grain weight. Same result. Is this normal for these scales?

I was thinking that I would use the check weights to adjusted it as close to the charge load I would be loading and assume it would be accurate. Just making sure this is normal or should I just send it back?

OP
T

T28w

WKR
To ask another way. If I’m trying to get 40 grains to load, I should use check weights to zero at 40 grains and not worry what it’s at on the zero line with the pan empty.