Questions from an Antelope Novice

NPRI

FNG
I have spent my whole life hunting whitetails and axis in South Texas, but have gotten the itch to get into western hunting. I would like to start with pronghorn. What are the essentials gear wise that I would need for a pronghorn hunt? Which states are the easiest to draw tags?

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Wyoming is probably easiest. Don't need much gear. Binoculars, range finder, rifle. Everything else is nice to have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
N

NPRI

FNG
Do most hunters camp out in the units or stay in town (I saw another thread reference staying in town)?

Do most hunters camp out in the units or stay in town (I saw another thread reference staying in town)?
I think it depends. We tend to stay in town if there is one close by. Where we hunted I think we saw one trailer. If I had a trailer, it would be a different story.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antelope are the gateway drug of Western hunting but there is no need to buy a ton of new gear. If you have a fairly flat shooting rifle and decent binoculars you have most of what you need. A rangefinder is nice but not absolutely necessary if you discipline yourself and practice and limit your shots to a known distance. Antelope are close in size to the whitetails you are hunting now so your deer back home are a pretty good reference. I would say that good stalking clothing and accessories-gloves and knee pads that could prevent cactus from attaching themselves to you- are good to have.

Wyoming is probably the best bet and I usually simply stay in the nearest town. Antelope hunting is usually much less physically demanding than elk or mule deer hunting but you might still have to work to get away from the road hunting goofballs that can be a nuisance.

They are a ton of fun to hunt and pretty tasty too!

Good Luck.

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget OnX! If Wyoming, leather gloves and knee pads. Those little cactus are painful.
For Wy OnX is critical. Landowners don’t have to mark private and you can get in a bind if you’re trespassing. Pretty simple to get started, the reason most people stay in town is its usually a pretty quick hunt and then no messing with camping gear.

Anything specific for northern New Mexico in late August? I'm in the market to upgrade my binos already.

Wyoming is the easiest state to get a tag - Rangefinder is a must I'd say, antelope mostly like the plains areas where distance is "challenging" for the best and especially after the shooting has begun, 300 yards is a standard - Ranchers don't necessarily care that much about the antelope as long as you don't shoot a cow !! (not kidding at all) IF you have to cross a fence either deal with the crawl under snaggy wire or go over at corner fence jacks and larger posts and GO EASY ON THE WIRE - OnX and calling local wardens and biologists works well too, in WY they're generally very forthcoming

boutdoors

FNG
I second on a rangefinder , out there in the wide open, distance estimation can be tricky Also if you have 2 tags be ready for a quick second shot, as sometimes the Antelope can be confused for a few seconds giving you a second shot.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

NV HUNTER

WKR
antelope is a great novice hunt. i am taking a friend and his son with me on my nevada doe antelope hunt (they have never hunted anything). its usually mild weather, see a lot of game, and almost always kill something. All good info above. A great ice chest is a must also.

antelope is a great novice hunt. i am taking a friend and his son with me on my nevada doe antelope hunt (they have never hunted anything). its usually mild weather, see a lot of game, and almost always kill something. All good info above. A great ice chest is a must also.
Yes, YES ! an ice chest WITH ICE, maybe 2 and make them as large as you've got - field dress asap, get the hide off and the meat on ice as soon as possible - their hair stinks so keep it away from the meat - antelope are a smelly animal but, as stated, the meat is second to none

OP
N

NPRI

FNG
Is a spotting scope necessary or is it a nice to have for pronghorn?

I’ve hunted them in WY both ways. While staying in town is comfortable, there’s something about waking up on the plains, making a pot of coffee and heading out to hunt that just makes the trip feel so much nicer.

Keep in mind that camping on state land in Wyoming is prohibited. You may be able to hunt on it, but can't camp on it. Find some nearby blm land if you plan to camp and want to hunt state land.

Keep in mind that camping on state land in Wyoming is prohibited. You may be able to hunt on it, but can't camp on it. Find some nearby blm land if you plan to camp and want to hunt state land.

Important information. I definitely should’ve included that we camped on the private ranch we had permission to hunt