Questions from Newbies - Podcast

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone,

I'd like to gather a bunch of questions from hunters that are looking to hunt out west but don't quite know where to start or simply have questions. Post them below and we'll answer them in an upcoming podcast! Thanks!

h_soape

FNG
If you have no experience hunting out west what are some easier “get your feet wet” trips ? Something that’s easy to get a tag for and approachable. Maybe some variations of that idea, good first backpack hunting trips vs hunting from a central camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
-Signs to look for while summer scouting that may effect your fall hunt (good and bad).

BLJ

WKR
I'll second the "get your feet wet trip". Not necessarily specific spots, but maybe state and species for the first trip just for the experience of being there. A good starting point for a western hunting career.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
How high (elevation) do you start looking for elk in rifle season? Say, 2nd rifle in Colorado.

This is my first season hunting, trying to learn as much as I can myself so I don't seem like I'm poaching nuggets of wisdom from the veterans. I know most of this is going to be based on experience, and us newbies just have to put the time in. But sometimes that can just feeling like wandering around in the dark. Here are a few things that come to mind that I know I have struggled with in this first year...

- Having all the right gear and being prepared... For those of us that didn't grow up hunting and don't have relatives to learn & borrow gear from. Most of us can't just go spend $4k on a starter kit, so knowing what to spend extra $$ on, and what you can go cheap on, what is 100% essential, and what are luxuries. I know there are hundreds of gear lists out there and all vary widely based on time of year, animal, terrain, weather.
- Selecting a unit and a season/timeframe to hunt in. I learned a lot by going to the CO Parks & Wildlife seminar on drawing limited tags and application process and learned a lot. But after doing a season, learned even more.
- Scouting online, maps, google earth... novice hunters could learn an area well by doing this, but using this to actually find an animal can be confusing and mind-numbing to beginners.
- Decision-making while you are out there hunting... glassing spots, stalking up there on a north facing slope or down and over there on a SE facing slope? Really hard to do alone, and I will second-guess myself no matter what, lol
- Changing your game plan the morning of based on new information.... weather overnight, storm rolled in, not expecting 4 cars at the trailhead, etc., morning was calm but now super windy

Choosing a hunting pack was easy and fun though, thanks to RokSlide... MR Metcalf here I come!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I know when I take a newbie out, getting them geared up properly always makes their day more exciting. You do not have to have Swaro's, but it sure does help. Tripods are an absolute and patience behind the glass is a surefire way to turn up game. Going over a general gear list for the west would help a lot of newbs.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with the "getting your feet wet" idea...maybe look at a couple different species. Antelope is usually what you hear when that question is asked...but maybe some other OTC or easy draw tags for other species. I also like the idea of gear...say you have $1500 for gear. What is the best way to spend that money.

I second Foldem.. Failing is part of the process and it needs to be embraced to get through it.. took me 6 years to get a 4 point bull.. And looking back I am almost glad I didn't succeed the first year because it would of warped my reality of what it takes to succeed out west chasing game in the mountains

Lowndes

FNG
Glassing tips and techniques too. I listened to a podcast by Remi Warren on it last night and wish he went into a little more detail.

Dunndm

WKR
What’s the podcast called so I can listen when it comes out hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk