Questions on a short barrel build for a suppressor

I went to buy a TBAC Ultra 7 a couple of weeks ago and the person that does the paperwork was not working that day. It was an impulse buy and I am not 100% sure I really want one. Now I have this idea in my head and I am thinking of heading down on Friday and purchasing one.

That said, the next question is caliber. I have read a bunch of threads and it appears that in a short barrel the short mags are the way to go to maximize range. I would like to go with a 20" barrel. My question is should it be chambered in 300wsm, 6.5PRC, 7 SAUM, or something else? I dont have any issue buying reloading supplies for said caliber. My goal is to have a rifle suited for deer or elk at ranges as close to 800 or more as possible. I dont want to put a number on range as that will be determined by the capability of the rifle and my ability once I start practicing with it.

WSM or SAUM in 6.5, 7 or 30 are all good choices, just depends on how heavy of a bullet you want. Suppressors and short barrels are awesome, once you start you won't turn back.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Suppressors ought to be standard with every firearm purchased. Period.

They’re simply wonderful.

Yes, the TBAC is a game changer and wish I’d started shooting cans 30 yrs ago. Seriously, they’re civilized.

6.5 PRC 20” TBAC Ultra 7407FE771-6B5F-4E9A-8CEA-7D2398B3FC0C.jpeg

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
I am thinking of a 6.5 prc and also cutting my .270 down to 20” as well.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
It might not matter that much. Once you start with one, you’ll want more!
I’m pretty partial to my 20” 6.5 SAUM with my Ultra 7 6.5, but I did have a 22” 7 SAUM built to use my Dominus with. I‘m limited to 139/140’s in the 6.5 due to 8.7 twist. The 7 is twisted 8.5 and handles the 175 elite hunter very well.

Forest

WKR
Haven't had my suppressor for very long, but I can pretty much already tell you I will hardly ever shoot a gun without it again.

Since I've got it I've been getting guns threaded, new guns, and actually building one specifically to be suppressed.

I went back and forth a lot between 7 saum and 300wsm. Still not convinced I made the right choice but I went with the 7 saum, it's a lightweight build so the 7 just kinda made sense. Doing 20" 8 twist on tikka action.

Majority of the folks that have one will tell you don't wait, they take a long time to get and odds are it won't get any easier. After using one I totally agree with that statement!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I went to buy a TBAC Ultra 7 a couple of weeks ago and the person that does the paperwork was not working that day. It was an impulse buy and I am not 100% sure I really want one. Now I have this idea in my head and I am thinking of heading down on Friday and purchasing one.

That said, the next question is caliber. I have read a bunch of threads and it appears that in a short barrel the short mags are the way to go to maximize range. I would like to go with a 20" barrel. My question is should it be chambered in 300wsm, 6.5PRC, 7 SAUM, or something else? I dont have any issue buying reloading supplies for said caliber. My goal is to have a rifle suited for deer or elk at ranges as close to 800 or more as possible. I dont want to put a number on range as that will be determined by the capability of the rifle and my ability once I start practicing with it.
My advice is get a Nomad LT, its only 1.4" longer and much much quieter.
Skip the 6.5, they're easy to shoot but aren't ideal beyond 500 yards in my experience.
I would go 7 wsm/saum or 300 wsm throated for 215’s

Sled

WKR
i have a few suppressors and only regret the 5" K. well, that and not getting into suppressors sooner. i don't shoot any of my rifles without one anymore. barrels range from 17" to 24" i like 20" best and plan to do a 20 or 21" on my 270wsm for my next suppressed rifle.

B23

WKR
For a one gun do all especially in a compact suppressed hunting rig I think it's really hard to beat a properly throated 300 WSM.

300wsm is a good choice and I would have went that way if the ammo was easier to find/cheaper. I went 18" 308...no way I am ever going back to hunting without a can.

archp625

WKR
I was in the same boat as you back in July. I think you need to decide what bullet in each of those that you want to shoot. Then start crunching numbers. You said you wanted a 800 yard elk killer. The 300 WSM with 200.20X or 215 will get you there.

Haven't had my suppressor for very long, but I can pretty much already tell you I will hardly ever shoot a gun without it again.

Since I've got it I've been getting guns threaded, new guns, and actually building one specifically to be suppressed.
Basically agree with all this. My first 2 suppressors were impulse buys and now I have 6. I will never shoot unsuppressed again.

OP
MuleyFever
I was in the same boat as you back in July. I think you need to decide what bullet in each of those that you want to shoot. Then start crunching numbers. You said you wanted a 800 yard elk killer. The 300 WSM with 200.20X or 215 will get you there.

I agree with the method but I dont know where to get good data on these cartridges with 20" barrels. I was hoping people that have done builds with these would have some input on the numbers.

B23

WKR

Forest

WKR
I agree with the method but I dont know where to get good data on these cartridges with 20" barrels. I was hoping people that have done builds with these would have some input on the numbers.
once you start looking around at load data threads you'll find a ton of guys running 18-22" barrels. It is definitely catching on. At the end of the day the data really isnt a whole lot different, you just loose some speed. However depending on the cartridge, powder and bullet choices the losses aren't as big as they used to be led on to be.
Some will try to argue if you are gonna build a 20" 300wsm you could just as well do a 30-06. But everything ive seen is a 20" wsm will still out perform a 20" 30-06 by a long shot. Sure it may be '06 speeds, but that '06 would need a 24 or 26" barrel to be the same.

archp625

WKR
once you start looking around at load data threads you'll find a ton of guys running 18-22" barrels. It is definitely catching on. At the end of the day the data really isnt a whole lot different, you just loose some speed. However depending on the cartridge, powder and bullet choices the losses aren't as big as they used to be led on to be.
Some will try to argue if you are gonna build a 20" 300wsm you could just as well do a 30-06. But everything ive seen is a 20" wsm will still out perform a 20" 30-06 by a long shot. Sure it may be '06 speeds, but that '06 would need a 24 or 26" barrel to be the same.
Exactly. You take the same bullet, and length of barrel in a 30-06 and the 300 WSM will shine.

As a person about to start buying suppressors for hunting (sorry for interjecting in your thread OP) do you guys that already have them see any velocity increase with the can? It seems like they add a little bit but not a lot.

As a side note- I’ve been cutting my barrels down to 20” for a while now so I’m excited to get a can and see how my 270wsm performs with it.

Sled

WKR
As a person about to start buying suppressors for hunting (sorry for interjecting in your thread OP) do you guys that already have them see any velocity increase with the can? It seems like they add a little bit but not a lot.

As a side note- I’ve been cutting my barrels down to 20” for a while now so I’m excited to get a can and see how my 270wsm performs with it.

About 10fps with a couple of mine. Zero on others.